Clutch Kit for 2.3L - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
sneblue
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88919
What I Drive: 2003 Zinc Yellow ZX3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 sneblue Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Clutch Kit for 2.3L

Hi Folks,

It's time to replace my clutch... Tough to start more often (pump that pedal!), slipping with high RPM on the big hills, and also on the flats here & there.

It has a "sport" clutch, but I have no idea what's in there. I bought the car after it was repo, so I don't have any records. It has 97k give or take a little.

That said, I have immensely enjoyed whatever is in there. engages right off the floor, grabs hard, takes a beating, fantastic launches. ridiculously fun.

I'm a bit concerned I might pick out a kit that's not as nice....
I can't be without it for a long time, it's my daily driver. So taking it apart checking the ruins & then ordering new stuff won't work...

From what I've been reading in other threads it seems like most have been happier with the Exedy over the Clutch Master brand. Not sure if I should go stage 1 or stage 2. I doubt I will ever do a turbo, but I might do Cosworth headers some time down the road if the opportunity presents itself.

With the 151hp and whatever the Cosworth CAI is bringing to the party, and fantastic poly mounts holding it all together, what do you all think?

I'm interested in opinions & experiences... thanks as always!

Last edited by sneblue; 06-21-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
I like the Exedy clutch kit my self. The stage 1 will be plenty good. Make sure to get a slave cylinder also. I like the forged aluminum pressure plate cover on the hyper stage 3 instead of stamped steel & has a ceramic 6 puck disc. Thats overkill. With the emmissions down there can you run a header? I thought they check stuff like that.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
sneblue
Focus Rookie

Hi Felix-
Yes I would like that Hyper too - a little excessive on the cash right now though. I have to do a bunch of other maintenance right now, probably going to spend around $3500. I have a potentially ripped up sync ring, been there the whole time I've had the car so that should be nice and pricey.

I struggled with it, should I buy a different car, exit gracefully? Nope. I couldn't find anything else as fun that I could afford right now. so we're fixin' it. I guess I will keep the ZX3 around, should complement the yello Lotus eventually, right?

that said, yeah they probably check the headers, but I thought Cosworth had some California passes. I know their CAI is the only one for the CARB. I will have to look it up on the emissions board list of ok stuff...

thanks for your thoughts,
Shannon
Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

For a fairley stock motor Exdy oem kit would work great. Just add a slave cylinder to the order. Gets rid of the dual mass flywheel & comes w/ a chrome moly flywheel. No car payments= more mods=.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
SYZ
FocusFreak

Fan#: 31122
What I Drive: toxic waste

FF Reputation: 106 SYZ Excellent Standing MemberSYZ Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Cosworth headers are not CARB certified. Only their CAI is for 2003-2004 Focuses. Furthermore, you will likely trigger a CEL because of the missing catalytic converter. You can run a tune or do the mechanical CEL fix to eliminate it, but you will fail visual inspection regardless.

I also suggest the Exedy stage 1 based upon your needs. The hyper single is way overkill.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Budderybunz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107821
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 Budderybunz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm stage 2 turbo and I really like my exedy oem clutch kit! It takes 232 whp 240wtq daily.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
sneblue
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Cosworth headers are not CARB certified. Only their CAI is for 2003-2004 Focuses. Furthermore, you will likely trigger a CEL because of the missing catalytic converter. You can run a tune or do the mechanical CEL fix to eliminate it, but you will fail visual inspection regardless.

I also suggest the Exedy stage 1 based upon your needs. The hyper single is way overkill.
I hadn't really put any time into the header question, thanks for the input.
And yeah, I am well aware there is not any viable reason I "need" the Hyper - but it sure doesn't stop me from wanting it anyway But, I'm not going to do it, just nice to look at it...

I have had the car for 6 years, I got the CAI in 2011 after smog tests tightened up on the visuals here and they busted me on a SRI consisting of the stock MAF tube with a K&N on the end. The car came that way & I didn't have the stock box. (I do now, thanks to a kind soul on this board, good to have the stock back up) I feel lucky to be a 2003 so I could have the Cosworth & pass

Interesting that the Exedy OEM seems to be well liked... it is certainly a lower price point. But I'm not sure that's a deciding factor for me... I really drive hard, oil in the blood & lead in the foot, 2nd daughter no sons, with a gearhead dad... I want that instant grab. sprints are all we get around here, no straightaways for top end speed...

again, thanks for everyone's opinions! keep 'em coming!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneblue View Post

Interesting that the Exedy OEM seems to be well liked... it is certainly a lower price point. But I'm not sure that's a deciding factor for me... I really drive hard, oil in the blood & lead in the foot, 2nd daughter no sons, with a gearhead dad... I want that instant grab. sprints are all we get around here, no straightaways for top end speed...

again, thanks for everyone's opinions! keep 'em coming!
Your car is fairley stock, So the Exdy oem replacement would be a great upgrade for you. It does get rid of the factory dual mass flywheel= a lighter chrome moly flywheel. That will last a long time. Put the $ difference into a steeda sts= short throw shifter & a tune. If you want a cheap motor mod= do a bsd= balance shaft delete plug. Remove the balance shafts & plug the oil feed hole. Removes 18 lbs of dead weight & less rotating weight & you'll find your motor holds 6qtrs of oil now. Win win.

Bookmarks & Social Networks