MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101 - Page 26 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #251
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocusSE5 View Post
No need to excessively change oil anymore and in fact, doing so can cause premature engine wear to occur.
That's false.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #252
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97166
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
That's false.
It's true. As to why excessive oil changes can cause engine damage; every single time the oil is changed, the engine oiling system loses its prime and when the engine is started there is zero oil pressure and metal-to-metal contact going on inside the engine that it never see's at any other time in its life. That kind of wear can rob life from an engine, reducing it's operating efficiency, (reduced fuel economy and power), and longevity. It wont run, "like new", for as long as it could have. Excessive oil changes are not doing any engine a favor. Of course, the greedy big oil industry likes to siphon off consumers hard earned money if they can, but consumer groups called them on this and even the greedy big oil companies are now no longer recommending needless and wasteful 3,000 mile drain pain intervals.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #253
thejordan
Focus Addict

Quote:
It's true. As to why excessive oil changes can cause engine damage; every single time the oil is changed, the engine oiling system loses its prime and when the engine is started there is zero oil pressure and metal-to-metal contact going on inside the engine that it never see's at any other time in its life. That kind of wear can rob life from an engine, reducing it's operating efficiency, (reduced fuel economy and power), and longevity. It wont run, "like new", for as long as it could have. Excessive oil changes are not doing any engine a favor. Of course, the greedy big oil industry likes to siphon off consumers hard earned money if they can, but consumer groups called them on this and even the greedy big oil companies are now no longer recommending needless and wasteful 3,000 mile drain pain intervals.
Fresh oil or not, the lubrication is the same for every cold start. It's okay to take off your tinfoil hat now.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #254
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Fresh oil or not, the lubrication is the same for every cold start. It's okay to take off your tinfoil hat now.
Tin foil hat? Wow, did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed today or something? Gheesh.

Again, when the oil system loses it's prime when an oil change is done the resulting engine start has zero oil pressure, allowing metal-to-metal wear to occur. This is why some people take the care of priming the new oil filter, to try and lessen the damaging effects of a no oil pressure/dry start situation, which is very wise. If this wasn't an issue, people wouldn't bother to prime the oil filter.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #255
thejordan
Focus Addict

Quote:
Again, when the oil system loses it's prime when an oil change is done the resulting engine start has zero oil pressure, allowing metal-to-metal wear to occur. This is why some people take the care of priming the new oil filter, to try and lessen the damaging effects of a no oil pressure/dry start situation, which is very wise. If this wasn't an issue, people wouldn't bother to prime the oil filter.
Yes priming the oil filter can prevent initial/temporary rod knock. That didn't seem to be what you were saying initially. Saying oil changes themselves are more damaging is a bit of a misnomer. Poor oil itself the biggest damage to an engine especially if not filtered properly or if it loses viscosity. The damage from a proper oil change versus a cold start will be negligible.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #256
novus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
So I've read in here that Mobil1 isn't true synthetic. I've been using it for some years now in my truck. If this is the case, what is recommended? I also see people running 5W-20. I haven't ran out to the car to grab the manual and read, but I will soon. But back to the main question, what's the recommended oil? Motorcraft?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #257
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Motorcraft 5w20 is the recommended oil for the 2.0L.
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #258
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
5,000 miles is just fine and is right in line with recommendations. Many vehicle manufactures now recommend 7,500 miles. BMW goes up to 15,000 miles and several European manufacturers are in the same ball park.

No need to excessively change oil anymore and in fact, doing so can cause premature engine wear to occur.
People should RTM if they disagree with you on principal; The Focus can go up to 10k miles between changes depending on driving and environmental conditions. The whole idea of 3k mile intervals as a general rule and not the exception is nonsense perpetuated by an industry fraught with a waste & greed mentality.

RTM

As far as your "wear" claim, I won't even touch that.

How often should you have your oil changed?

Ford Motor Company generally recommends getting an oil change every 7,500 miles or every six months for 2008 and newer model year vehicles, whichever comes first, or every 5,000 miles or every six months for 2007 and older model year vehicles, whichever comes first.

However, you should change your oil and filter more often every 5,000 miles or every six months for 2008 and newer model year vehicles, whichever comes first, or every 3,000 miles or every three months for 2007 and older model year vehicles, whichever comes first if you do any of the following:

Tow or carry heavy loads
Idle or drive at low speeds for long distances
Drive in dusty conditions
Drive off road frequently
Use E85 fuel more than 50% of the time

If you have any questions about the recommended oil change intervals for your specific vehicle, be sure to check your Owner's Manual.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...=1239636411265

Last edited by BlazeFocus; 02-28-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #259
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes priming the oil filter can prevent initial/temporary rod knock. That didn't seem to be what you were saying initially. Saying oil changes themselves are more damaging is a bit of a misnomer. Poor oil itself the biggest damage to an engine especially if not filtered properly or if it loses viscosity. The damage from a proper oil change versus a cold start will be negligible.
If it were negligible, people wouldn't be bothering to prime the oil filter. When the oil system loses all its pressure during an oil change and then the engine is started, metal-to-metal wear is going on that an engine never see's at any other time in its life. Excessive oil changes does an engine no favors.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #260
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPsDad View Post
Motorcraft 5w20 is the recommended oil for the 2.0L.
Vehicle manufacturers always recommend their own oils be used, of course. When you want to know the truth, follow the money. Any oil brand meeting the specification for that engine can be used.

Bookmarks & Social Networks