2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 72 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #711
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard4872 View Post
I did hire an attorney and I filed under my states lemon law act. I have had my transmission rebuilt twice in one year. At 25000 miles my rear main started leaking. They opened it up there was fluid all over the place which is why they said the cluches were slipping. 600 miles after the rebuild, I had a grinding sound whenever the car was under torque. They opened it up, bad clutches. They said it must of been a bad batch of parts. So they ordered parts from a different batch and rebuilt it a second time. Now when I leave from a dead stop on a hill, it slams into gear like a 2000 rpm neutral drop. I have built everything from custom rock rigs to 11 sec fox bodies. I know when there is a mechanical failure. This tranny is crap. I have driven Fords since 1985. Ford has pemanently lost my buisness.
Unfortunately, it sounds like the dealer tech did not properly follow the procedures for clutch replacement.

There is a set of highly detailed instructions for replacement of the clutch assembly that must be followed exactly, including the proper use of special tools and jigs.

There are many people in this forum that did have their clutch assembly replaced with good results. There is certainly no good reason why your transmission should not work properly at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #712
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
There are many people in this forum that did have their clutch assembly replaced with good results.

Actually there are very few people who know the long term results, and there have been a lot of multiple clutch replacements on cars that should be years away from even a single clutch replacement.

On top of that, if a clutch pack needs a brain surgeon to replace it properly or it goes out again in a few thousand miles, it's bad design that will cause headaches down the line for hundreds or thousands of owners. Dealers can't even get it right.

The difference between a good car and a lemon is just a couple percentage points in the failure rate that, even if our particular cars are OK will strip hundreds or thousands of dollars out of the resale/trade-in value.

If dealers are screwing up the replacement by not understanding or following the required procedure, Ford needs to fix that or pull their cert. If it's a bad design, bad castings, bad seals or other bad parts, ford needs to fix that or dump and sue getrag into oblivion and beyond before they get sued.

Ford replaced millions of firestone tires, they need to do the same here, offer an alternative transmission if they can't restore confidence in their product and the people who repair it.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #713
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_J View Post
Actually there are very few people who know the long term results
His transmission should be properly repaired first before we worry about the long term results.

Quote:
On top of that, if a clutch pack needs a brain surgeon to replace it properly or it goes out again in a few thousand miles, it's bad design that will cause headaches down the line for hundreds or thousands of owners. Dealers can't even get it right.
You don't need to be a brain surgeon to follow detailed instructions. What you do need is the right tools and attention to detail (which some people do lack).

Quote:
Ford replaced millions of firestone tires, they need to do the same here, offer an alternative transmission if they can't restore confidence in their product and the people who repair it.
An "alternative transmission" is not realistic as the DCT is here to stay.
Unfortunately, dealer service will screw up even an oil change sometimes. What Ford can do to improve that is another discussion altogether.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #714
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Unfortunately, dealer service will screw up even an oil change sometimes. What Ford can do to improve that is another discussion altogether.
Sorry, but we don't even know if this was the dealers fault, it could be that the transmission casting was bad where the seals sit, or the shaft was warped, or any number of other issues that could have affected longevity.

Also, the main point is that we have no idea how reliable these transmissions are long term, what the normal clutch change interval is, what the real failure rate is, what the root cause of the high failures is, and what the future impact is.

We don't know what's going to happen when the thousands of fleet and rental cars with this transmission get pushed out to used car lots.

We do know Ford isn't really helping, that they have quietly replaced low milage failed clutches and transmissions and bought back cars without releasing much more than "It's normal" as to root cause.

I don't have much confidence that this transmission is reliable. Even if DCT's are here to stay, it doesn't mean this particular one is, or that it won't be just a much more expensive version of the Mark II ignition switch debacle.

So, all this "it's not that bad an issue" stuff aside, here are three questions I would like answered.

1. What is the true failure rate of this transmission to date.

2. What are the failure mechanisms that cause seals to leak and clutches to shred?

3. Assuming a properly working transmission with no issues, what is the expected lifetime of the clutch and seals?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #715
lorddave
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110556
What I Drive: 2001 Green Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 lorddave Good Standing Member
Hello, first time poster. And reader.

I can't say I read this whole thread but I found it with a search for the transmission problems of the 2012 ford focus SEL. My wife is looking to buy it but found people had issues with the transmission.

Some further digging and I found that it was sort of fixed with a software upgrade. This this accurate?

The focus she's looking to get has 33,000 miles on it and it was a rental from Florida. I would think that if it has any transmission problems that it would have shown up by now. Is this also a fair assessment?

Thank you for any information and advice you can give.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #716
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
If it's a rental, it is highly unlikely any warranty work has been done including software updates. I personally would never buy a rental car but to each their own. There is a lot of information in these forums about the transmission and mine is horrid. My advice is DO the research here and formulate your own decision.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #717
symbology
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94555
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB 301A Mtl.Blk

FF Reputation: 1 symbology Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddave View Post
Hello, first time poster. And reader.

I can't say I read this whole thread but I found it with a search for the transmission problems of the 2012 ford focus SEL. My wife is looking to buy it but found people had issues with the transmission.

Some further digging and I found that it was sort of fixed with a software upgrade. This this accurate?

The focus she's looking to get has 33,000 miles on it and it was a rental from Florida. I would think that if it has any transmission problems that it would have shown up by now. Is this also a fair assessment?

Thank you for any information and advice you can give.
Only some of the issues have been addressed, namely rolling back on hills. Some rough gear changes, grinding, etc have not been fixed unless the clutches were found to have lots of wear and tear or oil contamination.
For 33k miles, the transmission will exhibit any quirks off the bat, unlike those of us who bought new and had to find out after a few thousand mile break in period.
I would listen for grinding between gear changes, how smooth the shift is, especially from a stop, if the car rolls back on hills (probably not easy to reproduce in Florida), etc.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #718
lorddave
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110556
What I Drive: 2001 Green Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 lorddave Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostinger View Post
If it's a rental, it is highly unlikely any warranty work has been done including software updates. I personally would never buy a rental car but to each their own. There is a lot of information in these forums about the transmission and mine is horrid. My advice is DO the research here and formulate your own decision.
Thanks. I'll definitely do that. And I can ask the dealership to make sure all the software updates were done prior to us buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbology
Only some of the issues have been addressed, namely rolling back on hills. Some rough gear changes, grinding, etc have not been fixed unless the clutches were found to have lots of wear and tear or oil contamination.
For 33k miles, the transmission will exhibit any quirks off the bat, unlike those of us who bought new and had to find out after a few thousand mile break in period.
I would listen for grinding between gear changes, how smooth the shift is, especially from a stop, if the car rolls back on hills (probably not easy to reproduce in Florida), etc.
We're in New York so hills shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info and advice. Should I ask the dealer if the clutch has been changed?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #719
symbology
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94555
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB 301A Mtl.Blk

FF Reputation: 1 symbology Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddave View Post
Should I ask the dealer if the clutch has been changed?
Wouldn't hurt to ask, but I would also ask to see the repair history manifest.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #720
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

I would also not buy a rental, work can be done to one in house that doesn't show up on the carfax. I would also suspect any late model used focus to be either a rental or a fleet car return, it could be getting dumped because of issues.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->