Best headlight / HID options for poor headlights on 2007 Focus? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
raidernation08
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97431
What I Drive: 2007 silver zx4

FF Reputation: 1 raidernation08 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Call them they are 50 state legal I have been through insp with them in there no brighter than any of these new cars hids there probably alittle less
Retro-solutions 55 W 8000k H.I.D kit
[HOONIGAN]
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,128, Level 18
Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidernation08 View Post
Call them they are 50 state legal I have been through insp with them in there no brighter than any of these new cars hids there probably alittle less
Call them to get secret, unpublished advice, no way! I didn't fall off the turnip truck last year lol. They are not putting a street legal claim in print because they simply aren't street legal. This is common practice. Keeping it verbal BS one-on-one with inquiring customers allows them to lie without going to jail. It doesn't matter how bright the lights are. The HID pattern is not legal because the optics are not properly tuned for appropriate pattern nor certified by DOT. This sort of certification is not cheap, especially when the lighting system design diverges from stock (HID). I'm not suggesting that police will pull you over or state inspection will fail. Most lighting mods fly under radar. However you aren't legal for any state in the USA. In truth, most asian-sourced aftermarket headlight assemblies don't have DOT certification, but shops use them for collision repairs all the time. They have poor optics that tend to blind oncoming drivers instead of lighting up the road. Even some of the decent one's are missing certifications. This is why a typical asian headlight assembly for a domestic car costs $40 while the factory version is over $100.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
raidernation08
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97431
What I Drive: 2007 silver zx4

FF Reputation: 1 raidernation08 Good Standing Member
Well lets see I have passed both USA and German Insp the German Insp makes the USA insp look like were coloring with crayons if you want something In writing just ask them I have been pulled over for them by security forces on base asking me where I got them so they could get a pair I love them won't ever go back no cop will ever pull you over for them unless he wants to find out where you got them your blowing this way out of proportion here I not trying to get into a pissing match with you if you hate having bright headlights that's fine I understand it sucks when someone has really bright headlights at you but what does the last 10 seconds out of your night I mean come on get real if there not legal then how are they pulling them in almost every new car that's worth a shit now days don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining lol
Retro-solutions 55 W 8000k H.I.D kit
[HOONIGAN]
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,128, Level 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Well lets see I have passed both USA and German Insp ..........
Nobody is checking your headlight pattern or lumens during inspection, so you will pass as I admitted. A German inspection of your car does not make the lights US legal by any stretch. My cars pass inspection with many issues. I doubt if they'd catch off-road bulbs in either country. I know folks with inspection licenses and I never heard of a case where a shop pulled a bulb to check it for legality, type or wattage. An occasional check of a bizzare yellow, blue or arc welder brightness may happen. Some idiots do push the envelope.

Don't believe salesmen on a telephone touting DOT, CARB or TUV certifications. If it's not in print, it's 100% a lie. A headlight with bonafide certifications is worth 3x and costs a lot more to research and design, so they will aggressively promote ALL legitimate certifications in PRINT. This is the only way to recover the extra development and certification costs. They surely won't forget to mention certifications in print lol. This is why Hella assemblies cost so much more than chinese knockoff junk. If you ever buy a race wheel with "verbal" DOT or TUV certifications and take it to a track, you're liable to die from wheel breakage. I've witnessed it. It's a very common issue....guys with 5 liter mustangs found out the hard way after buying knockoff cobra wheels off ebay. Imagine taking a corner at 120MPH at 0.8G and having your wheel separate from the hub center. Some wheels even had fake certifications embossed on them. There are even fake Ford Racing wheels being sold...Ford chases them around China with a team of patent right investigators and lawyers.

I'm not criticizing your headlights. I'm sure they look nice and probably perform fine, but hey, they are simply not legal. I'm not judging. I'm just providing insight to readers who may prefer to run illegal or legal. The 80/100W off-road bulbs sure as heck aren't legal lol.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,128, Level 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
............I mean come on get real if there not legal then how are they pulling them in almost every new car that's worth a shit now days don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining lol
Tiime out, please. I didn't say factory HID's are illegal!!!!!!!! They have been legal for about 20 years.

I am saying that an aftermarket HID conversion is totally illegal unless the manufacturer has bonafide DOT certifications for OEM apps (shown in print). No manufacturer in their right mind would keep certifications secret and only whisper about them on the phone. DOT certification would be extremely unlikely unless the OEM offered HID's for the particular application and the aftermarket mfr cloned them or the system costs over $750/pr. In the case of cloning to simplify and/or reduce costs of certification, the OEM would surely sue the aftermarket manufacturer for patent infringement.

There are only a tiny number of bonafide headlight manufacturers outside of the OEM offering DOT certified HID's and Hella is one of them. Depo's (wildly popular for BMW) are not approved either.

From Depo website:

Every jurisdiction has its own rules and regulations governing the use of automotive lighting. XENON HID lighting systems that are supplied with the vehicles from the factory are DOT approved. HID conversion kits are not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for buyers who violate the terms of sale while in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,399, Level 98
Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
You have an electrical problem- most likely in grounding, but could be on the hot side as well. The first thing I'd check is the grounding. Look at the ground wires on the battery terminal- remove the ones that attach to the stud with rings. I bet one of those rings is broken. If it's not there, then it's probably on the hot side.

Silverstars are marketing, and the lamp burns up much quicker than standard halogen lamps. Just get your some Sylvanias made for the car. I bet if you measured voltage in the socket, you'd get 10v.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
StreetFocusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47579
What I Drive: 2006 Sonic Blue ZX3 W/ Sap

FF Reputation: 1 StreetFocusZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I've got 35w 8000k HIDs in my stock headlights on my 06. They don't blind anyone and are stupid bright. Best 100 bucks I've spent. 6 years and still running strong.
1995 Ford Bronco XLT(Sold)
Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,399, Level 98
Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Yeah, TN patrolmen have been given the OK to give out some ridiculous tickets for cars that have HID kits installed. It's crazy- like $2500 crazy, but probably one of those tickets where you can show receipts that it's removed from the car and avoid the fine.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,128, Level 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Yeah, TN patrolmen have been given the OK to give out some ridiculous tickets for cars that have HID kits installed. It's crazy- like $2500 crazy, but probably one of those tickets where you can show receipts that it's removed from the car and avoid the fine.
I'm sure that's why a vendor will never state "street legal" in print and why smarter one's are openly warning customers in print...OFF ROAD ONLY, buyer beware. If they made a false claim in print about legality, they'd be liable for the $2500 tickets plus court costs plus labor to return customer cars back to stock. Unfortunately, "fairness" isn't part of the equation. For every person who does a proper conversion with good aiming, optics and wattage, there's some idiot out there running a poor HID or standard filament 130W purple light system with low beams aimed too high, seriously blinding people with marginal vision (unsafe condition).
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
kbreese
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 54700
What I Drive: 2007 Focus SES, 2012 Mustang 5.0

FF Reputation: 1 kbreese Good Standing Member
Thanks very much for everyone's thorough input and suggestions so far.

Ok here's my plan as of now: First I'm going to clean the lenses with a Meguiars headlight restoration kit, check the ground wires on the battery terminal and then adjust the height of the lights, as I wonder if they are aimed too low. See where that gets me.

If that doesn't do the trick I am seriously considering the Retro Solutions HID kit that Raidernation mentioned. Looking around the net it looks like they do have a good reputation for high quality kits. The cheaper off-road bulb solution seems like a bit of a hack and I also didn't like the fact that the bulbs look like they only last around 200 hours. That's way too short. Don't want to keep replacing them every few months, and it looks like the Retro solutions kits are only about $170 or so, which actually seems cheap to me to convert the car to HID lights. Heck I think the Sylvania ultra bulbs were around $40 alone. With regards to the legality issues, I'm guessing it won't really be a problem if you use a quality kit that is installed and aimed properly, unless maybe a cop is having a bad day and targets you for some reason.

Questions about a Retro Solutions kit:

1.) Someone mentioned before you should not put HID's in stock reflectors? Is that true and if so how does their kit work around this?

2.) On their 55w Digital kit I was looking at, it stated at the bottom: "Recommended: -Relayed wiring harness is recommended for use in vehicle applications where otherwise not included." Not sure what that means but do I need one?? I did select the vehicle "2000-2007 Ford Focus" which added $22 to the price, so I am not sure if it includes it, if needed?

3.) Which bulb fitment do I select? is it "9007/HB5 bixenon low/high beam"??

4.) How difficult is the install and how long does it take? Are their step by step instructions with pictures somewhere?

5.) Any other additional parts or special tools needed?

6.) And this is very important: Do you have a lot people flashing you with this 55w kit installed in your 07 Focus because they think you have your high beams on? We live on Long island and there is a LOT of traffic. We would be pissing 100's of people off every time we drove it at night or in the rain, and we definitely don't want that. Would we be better off with just the 35w kit? Or is it all a matter of if they are aimed properly it's not an issue?

7.) Do you need to get the fog lights too, or can I just get the headlamps?

Thanks,

Kevin

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.