Front Wheel Bearing and ABS sensor.... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
motorlaw
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 16505
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 motorlaw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Front Wheel Bearing and ABS sensor....

I dont know if this has been posted before or not so if it is I apologize. My mechanic friend of 20 years and I this weekend took of both front wheel hubs of my SVT focus and brought it to Pepboys to have new bearings pressed in and the old ones pressed out. I myself purchased the new bearings from Advance Auto. When we got the hubs back and finished putting them back on the car we got ABS and traction control sensor warnings. Upon further research I am told that you have to put the bearings in the proper way and not BACKWARDS like my mechanic friend is saying pepboys did. We DO know that they blocked the hole with the circlips for the ABS sensor (which we wound up fixing) once we did the sensor went in NO problem.

My questions are...1) Is it possible I bought the wrong bearings (IE abs bearings or NON abs bearings) or is it one bearing fits both abs and NON abs. and 2) if it IS the case that could not have gotten the right ones. ....did pep boys put the bearings in backwards.

Any help is MOST appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,520, Level 73
Points: 12,520, Level: 73 Points: 12,520, Level: 73 Points: 12,520, Level: 73
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension".
Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Richard Bridgette
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99824
What I Drive: SCCA GT-1 road race Mustang

FF Reputation: 2 Richard Bridgette Good Standing Member
Front wheel bearings and ABS

There are two different front wheel bearings for 2000-2007 Focus, one for non-ABS and one for ABS. Bearing size is the same, but the ABS bearing has a built-in magnetic ring that makes the ABS sensor work. Not only do you need the correct bearing for ABS but th bearing must be installed with the magnetic ring facing the sensor. Richard Bridgette, Huntersville, NC
Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,128, Level 18
Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Bridgette View Post
There are two different front wheel bearings for 2000-2007 Focus, one for non-ABS and one for ABS. Bearing size is the same, but the ABS bearing has a built-in magnetic ring that makes the ABS sensor work. Not only do you need the correct bearing for ABS but th bearing must be installed with the magnetic ring facing the sensor. Richard Bridgette, Huntersville, NC
Could somebody please advise me where the front sensor is located on a 2000-2007 Focus equipped with ABS?? Mine does not have ABS, but I would like to install my bearing in the same orientation as an ABS-equipped car.

On a car with ABS, does the red side of the bearing point outward toward the wheel flange and the black side of the bearing point inward toward the transmission....or is this wrong?

All the comments on the forum say the black side of the bearing point toward the sensor, but since I have no sensor, that doesn't help me lol.

thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
DoctorJ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113834
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue sedan

Points 38, Level 1
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 DoctorJ Good Standing Member
Front ABS sensor is located on the spindle, on the top, outside of where the strut mounts. This is the location on my 2001 sedan. It can be removed with a 7mm socket.

Your correct on the bearings. Red points outward, black inwards.

My Centric Brand bearings were black on both sides. I just guessed which side was which, and they work. Either i got lucky, or it doesn't matter for the bearings i purchased. I dunno.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
deandeib
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109014
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Focus

Points 34, Level 1
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 deandeib Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorlaw View Post
I dont know if this has been posted before or not so if it is I apologize. My mechanic friend of 20 years and I this weekend took of both front wheel hubs of my SVT focus and brought it to Pepboys to have new bearings pressed in and the old ones pressed out. I myself purchased the new bearings from Advance Auto. When we got the hubs back and finished putting them back on the car we got ABS and traction control sensor warnings. Upon further research I am told that you have to put the bearings in the proper way and not BACKWARDS like my mechanic friend is saying pepboys did. We DO know that they blocked the hole with the circlips for the ABS sensor (which we wound up fixing) once we did the sensor went in NO problem.

My questions are...1) Is it possible I bought the wrong bearings (IE abs bearings or NON abs bearings) or is it one bearing fits both abs and NON abs. and 2) if it IS the case that could not have gotten the right ones. ....did pep boys put the bearings in backwards.

Any help is MOST appreciated. thanks.
How did you unblock the hole for the ABS sensor? I am having a problem with the hole being obstructed somehow and the sensor not going in, after bearing replacement. The bearing was installed red side out, which is the correct way, as I understand it.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
shlbygt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23315
What I Drive: 04 SVT PWSC EAP

Points 631, Level 12
Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 shlbygt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Most bearings available now are for cars with ABS so the parts manufacturers only need to carry one part number.
The best way to check the bearing is to test with a piece of steel to see which side it sticks to.
The magnetic side of the bearing faces towards the engine/transmission and the C-clip.
If you are looking at the back side of the hub/knuckle, the magnetic side of the bearing faces the ABS pickup that protrudes through the knuckle.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
deandeib
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109014
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Focus

Points 34, Level 1
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 deandeib Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandeib View Post
How did you unblock the hole for the ABS sensor? I am having a problem with the hole being obstructed somehow and the sensor not going in, after bearing replacement. The bearing was installed red side out, which is the correct way, as I understand it.
Is it possible that it's the c-clip that is obstructing the ABS hole? It can't be the bearing itself since it must be pressed in to the stop inside the knuckle. I'm thinking. I can see what looks like the end of the hub turning inside but the obstruction itself does NOT turn. Might be that the gap in the c-clip has to be lined up with the ABS hole so the sensor can go in all the way.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,829, Level 32
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandeib View Post
Is it possible that it's the c-clip that is obstructing the ABS hole? It can't be the bearing itself since it must be pressed in to the stop inside the knuckle. I'm thinking. I can see what looks like the end of the hub turning inside but the obstruction itself does NOT turn. Might be that the gap in the c-clip has to be lined up with the ABS hole so the sensor can go in all the way.
I don't own the car, but I'm guessing the answer is yes.

On an SVT thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIdea View Post
Side note - if you ever replace the wheel bearing the opening of the c clip has to be at 12 oclock to allow the speed sensor to properly insert.
Looks the same way in this image:

http://www.underhoodservice.com/tech...abs-tone-ring/
Old 10-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,721, Level 66
Points: 9,721, Level: 66 Points: 9,721, Level: 66 Points: 9,721, Level: 66
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Looks good

Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis for reference.

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks