Front Wheel Bearing and ABS sensor.... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
motorlaw
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Fan#: 16505
Location: Stanfordville, NY
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed SVT Focus

Posts: 7
FF Reputation: 1 motorlaw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Front Wheel Bearing and ABS sensor....

I dont know if this has been posted before or not so if it is I apologize. My mechanic friend of 20 years and I this weekend took of both front wheel hubs of my SVT focus and brought it to Pepboys to have new bearings pressed in and the old ones pressed out. I myself purchased the new bearings from Advance Auto. When we got the hubs back and finished putting them back on the car we got ABS and traction control sensor warnings. Upon further research I am told that you have to put the bearings in the proper way and not BACKWARDS like my mechanic friend is saying pepboys did. We DO know that they blocked the hole with the circlips for the ABS sensor (which we wound up fixing) once we did the sensor went in NO problem.

My questions are...1) Is it possible I bought the wrong bearings (IE abs bearings or NON abs bearings) or is it one bearing fits both abs and NON abs. and 2) if it IS the case that could not have gotten the right ones. ....did pep boys put the bearings in backwards.

Any help is MOST appreciated. thanks.


motorlaw is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?
 
zetecDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Fan#: 62506
Location: east of Cincinnati, Ohio, OH
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Posts: 7,652
Points 12,520, Level 73
Points: 12,520, Level: 73 Points: 12,520, Level: 73 Points: 12,520, Level: 73
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension".
zetecDon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Richard Bridgette
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 99824
Location: Huntersville, NC
What I Drive: SCCA GT-1 road race Mustang

Posts: 28
FF Reputation: 2 Richard Bridgette Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Front wheel bearings and ABS

There are two different front wheel bearings for 2000-2007 Focus, one for non-ABS and one for ABS. Bearing size is the same, but the ABS bearing has a built-in magnetic ring that makes the ABS sensor work. Not only do you need the correct bearing for ABS but th bearing must be installed with the magnetic ring facing the sensor. Richard Bridgette, Huntersville, NC
Richard Bridgette is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95211
Location: northeast, PA
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Posts: 305
Points 1,128, Level 18
Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Bridgette View Post
There are two different front wheel bearings for 2000-2007 Focus, one for non-ABS and one for ABS. Bearing size is the same, but the ABS bearing has a built-in magnetic ring that makes the ABS sensor work. Not only do you need the correct bearing for ABS but th bearing must be installed with the magnetic ring facing the sensor. Richard Bridgette, Huntersville, NC
Could somebody please advise me where the front sensor is located on a 2000-2007 Focus equipped with ABS?? Mine does not have ABS, but I would like to install my bearing in the same orientation as an ABS-equipped car.

On a car with ABS, does the red side of the bearing point outward toward the wheel flange and the black side of the bearing point inward toward the transmission....or is this wrong?

All the comments on the forum say the black side of the bearing point toward the sensor, but since I have no sensor, that doesn't help me lol.

thanks
Lscman is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
DoctorJ
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113834
Location: The Cornfields, IN
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue sedan

Posts: 61
Points 38, Level 1
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 DoctorJ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Front ABS sensor is located on the spindle, on the top, outside of where the strut mounts. This is the location on my 2001 sedan. It can be removed with a 7mm socket.

Your correct on the bearings. Red points outward, black inwards.

My Centric Brand bearings were black on both sides. I just guessed which side was which, and they work. Either i got lucky, or it doesn't matter for the bearings i purchased. I dunno.
DoctorJ is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
deandeib
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Fan#: 109014
Location: Upper chichester, PA
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Focus

Posts: 18
Points 34, Level 1
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 deandeib Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorlaw View Post
I dont know if this has been posted before or not so if it is I apologize. My mechanic friend of 20 years and I this weekend took of both front wheel hubs of my SVT focus and brought it to Pepboys to have new bearings pressed in and the old ones pressed out. I myself purchased the new bearings from Advance Auto. When we got the hubs back and finished putting them back on the car we got ABS and traction control sensor warnings. Upon further research I am told that you have to put the bearings in the proper way and not BACKWARDS like my mechanic friend is saying pepboys did. We DO know that they blocked the hole with the circlips for the ABS sensor (which we wound up fixing) once we did the sensor went in NO problem.

My questions are...1) Is it possible I bought the wrong bearings (IE abs bearings or NON abs bearings) or is it one bearing fits both abs and NON abs. and 2) if it IS the case that could not have gotten the right ones. ....did pep boys put the bearings in backwards.

Any help is MOST appreciated. thanks.
How did you unblock the hole for the ABS sensor? I am having a problem with the hole being obstructed somehow and the sensor not going in, after bearing replacement. The bearing was installed red side out, which is the correct way, as I understand it.
deandeib is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
shlbygt
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2005
Fan#: 23315
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
What I Drive: 04 SVT PWSC EAP

Posts: 245
Points 631, Level 12
Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 shlbygt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Most bearings available now are for cars with ABS so the parts manufacturers only need to carry one part number.
The best way to check the bearing is to test with a piece of steel to see which side it sticks to.
The magnetic side of the bearing faces towards the engine/transmission and the C-clip.
If you are looking at the back side of the hub/knuckle, the magnetic side of the bearing faces the ABS pickup that protrudes through the knuckle.
shlbygt is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
deandeib
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Fan#: 109014
Location: Upper chichester, PA
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Focus

Posts: 18
Points 34, Level 1
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 deandeib Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandeib View Post
How did you unblock the hole for the ABS sensor? I am having a problem with the hole being obstructed somehow and the sensor not going in, after bearing replacement. The bearing was installed red side out, which is the correct way, as I understand it.
Is it possible that it's the c-clip that is obstructing the ABS hole? It can't be the bearing itself since it must be pressed in to the stop inside the knuckle. I'm thinking. I can see what looks like the end of the hub turning inside but the obstruction itself does NOT turn. Might be that the gap in the c-clip has to be lined up with the ABS hole so the sensor can go in all the way.
deandeib is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
PratoN
Focus Fanatic
 
PratoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88058
Location: Milwaukee, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Posts: 3,887
Points 2,829, Level 32
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandeib View Post
Is it possible that it's the c-clip that is obstructing the ABS hole? It can't be the bearing itself since it must be pressed in to the stop inside the knuckle. I'm thinking. I can see what looks like the end of the hub turning inside but the obstruction itself does NOT turn. Might be that the gap in the c-clip has to be lined up with the ABS hole so the sensor can go in all the way.
I don't own the car, but I'm guessing the answer is yes.

On an SVT thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIdea View Post
Side note - if you ever replace the wheel bearing the opening of the c clip has to be at 12 oclock to allow the speed sensor to properly insert.
Looks the same way in this image:

http://www.underhoodservice.com/tech...abs-tone-ring/
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Kona Blue, Built 5/24/2011, 401A + Ti Handling Package, Parking Technology Package, Winter Package, Moonroof, and MFT w/NAV at v3.6 96k miles and counting...
PratoN is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
sailor
"Elder"
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57268
Location: Williamsville, NY
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Posts: 14,440
Points 9,721, Level 66
Points: 9,721, Level: 66 Points: 9,721, Level: 66 Points: 9,721, Level: 66
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looks good

Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis for reference.
__________________
"Rubber Side Down"

S.R. #275
sailor is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.