Newbie needs help cyl 2 misfire - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
cindy13088
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110424
What I Drive: 2001 Gold Focus SE/Comfort

FF Reputation: 1 cindy13088 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Newbie needs help cyl 2 misfire

I just bought a used 2001 focus se comfort wagon. The car was running fine until a person test drove it before me and came back and said it hesitated a lot. We think he might have done something to make it run bad to try and buy it cheaper. The car only has 97k miles on it and it was an older couple that owned it. The previous owner was very meticulous about everything. He said he never had any problems at all until this other guy took the car for 15 minute for a test drive.

I'm female so don't know much about these things. There isn't any water or fuel on the spark plug, the wire doesn't have any cracks and looks clean. The check engine light came on when I turned on the defrosters. The car will sometimes idle rough when started and other times runs perfect. The biggest hesitation with some bucking happens as soon as I try to go past 40mph. That doesn't happen every time either.

Cannot hear any hissing noises from a vacumn leak. All wires going to the coil pack look good along with all connections for the EGR and PCV. Have had a few neighbors look at it along with the guy I bought it from but no one can see anything wrong. Auto zone scanned it and gave me the code of a misfire in cylinder 2. He said that was the only code that came up. It had a full tank of gas and the prev. owner had put a can of dry gas in before he sold it.

I don't have any tools to check compression or the coil pack so if anyone has any suggestions on what else we can check before I have to give my right arm to a garage to run a diagnostic check on it I would greatly appreciate it. This now makes 3 vehicles I have that all have something wrong with them. The guy did say he would buy the car back from me because he feels terrible, but I really like the car and am hoping it's an easy and cheap fix. I doubt I will be that lucky though. Help please!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.