I thought this car got good MPG?! - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #21
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Its most likely the winter blend of gas and the cold. There's so many things that can cause bad mileage you shouldn't jump the gun and assume it's the car.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #22
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 11 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidblue88 View Post
This is my #1 gripe with this vehicle. I have had the car since late December and the MPGs have been average at best. I average around 26 MPGs (currently 25...) It is mostly city driving and stop and go traffic but come on! I try very hard to coast to stops, slowly accelerate, and brake easy.

I brought this up to my car dealer and he said to give it some time. I am not sure how long to give it though.

My gf recently got in my car and said "you only get 25 MPGs... my fusion gets that". The fuel efficiency is very underwhelming! Not happy at all with this.
PowerShift 6-speed automatic w/SelectShift 27 city/38 hwy/31 combined mpg

What the heck are complaining about? You are getting almost bang on the EPA rated city mpg and it is winter time.

Switch cars with your girl friend and see if you match her mpg in her Fusion and her in your Focus.

You can put 10 different drivers in the same car and get 10 different mpg results.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #23
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidblue88 View Post
This is my #1 gripe with this vehicle. I have had the car since late December and the MPGs have been average at best. I average around 26 MPGs (currently 25...) It is mostly city driving and stop and go traffic but come on! I try very hard to coast to stops, slowly accelerate, and brake easy.
Lets see, the window sticker says 26 mpg city and that is what you are getting? I don't see the issue. City driving and stop and go traffic are mpg killers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njk570 View Post
Ok, so everything about the car is fantastic..BUT. I have not seen anywhere near the Average Rated MPG. I bought this Focus Used, its a 2012 Sedan Titanium, that came with just about 25000 miles. I drive this car everyday and the whole reason i bought this was because of the MPG, im averaging 27.8 mpg. about 75% highway and 25% rural road area. Call me crazy but i believe something is wrong here. I don't by any means drive like an insane person, i gradually gain speed and use cruise control a lot. I live in central Pennsylvania so the temp is low to mid 30s right now in the day time. I know gas mileage decreases in cold weather, but seriously....getting 10 less than the rate mpg is a little ridiculous. Anybody have any recommendations?
Hold on a second, the 36 mpg rating is for highway driving only, you are doing mixed driving. I would never expect the mpg to be that high with mixed driving. Yes I also have read many people getting better mpg then I do, but they live in different areas of the country.

I am averaging ~28-29 mpg at the moment. I was closer to 33 in the summer. Also noticed that the low temps have killed the mpg. Also my driving is a bit closer to 50/50.

IIRC the average mpg from the window sticker is 32 mpg. Using trip 2 for the life time of my car, not at 16k miles and just over a year is 32.6 mpg.

If you guys really want to see people ticked off at mpg rating, look up info on the 2012-13 Impreza. Very few with the CVT are getting anywhere near the 36 mpg highway. However many are reaching the average mpg of 30 mpg.

I take this all as perception. I believe peopel see the higher highway mpg number and expect that all the time, it just doesn't work that way.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 02-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #24
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
The quality of gas in your area can also cause problems. I have a rep who puts on Major miles on his car and in this area,(SW Ohio), he says shell is the best, BP he gets 2+ lower mpg for the same grade(87). You might try different stations and see. My car is ave. 30.2 right now all city driving. (lights are well spaced and not so much stop and go so that helps a LOT). During the summer months I was getting 32.5-33 mpg. (SEL with leather,winterpack, DCT) My girlfriends gets 1mpg better for her SEL without winterpack or leather seats so what you have in accessories also impacts actual mpgs. If your averaging 27+ right now with a Ti sedan I think you are getting pretty good results. The sedans are heavier than the hatch (what I own) so it will get a lower rating. 18" wheels will also loose mpg. I have 17"s and my GF has 16" so there is a difference in our mpg also. Drive your car for the car, not the mpg. If it is mpg you want, sacrifice the quality of the car and get an econo box. If I drive for mpg I usually loose mpg, if I just drive without worrying about it I usually do better, go figure...
Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #25
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerschro View Post
. If your averaging 27+ right now with a Ti sedan I think you are getting pretty good results. The sedans are heavier than the hatch (what I own) so it will get a lower rating.
The sedan is actually lighter than the hatchback, but only by about 13 lbs automatic sedan vs automatic hatch on the base curb weight per the spec sheet.

The hatch is marginally stiffer though.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2012_Focus_Specs.pdf
Old 02-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #26
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
If you do a lot of city driving, particularly stop-and-go, but you want great mileage, you would be far better off with a hybrid! That's really there forte -- stop-and-go. In city driving where you may stop at a light, then when the light turns green you move 250 feet until you hit the next light you waste gas accelerating and sitting there, but a hybrid will often shut the engine off at the light and not even turn it on when you move the 250 feet to the next light. That makes a HUGE difference.

It is likely that Ford could tweak the mapping during acceleration to improve on stop-and-go driving but this is not an area where conventional cars shine...

Brian
Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #27
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The sedan is actually lighter than the hatchback, but only by about 13 lbs automatic sedan vs automatic hatch on the base curb weight per the spec sheet.

The hatch is marginally stiffer though.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2012_Focus_Specs.pdf
oops! I retract my statement on weight then ... But the other parts I'll hold to unless proven wrong there too! LOL! Thanks to my fellow FGM for the correction. (like your new wheels!)
Old 02-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #28
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
As I previously stated, I reached over 40 mpg with my Ti, but I had to reset the avg mpg counter while on the highway and set the cruise to 60. Under normal mixed driving it fluctuates between 25.6 and 25.9, also I have to use the counter to get my mpg because I rarely get gas from a station, 95% of the time I fill the car from gas cans. I have several cans (24 gallons worth) that I fill at get go with my fuel perks. I typically fill the tank on the larger vehicle and put the rest into the cans, I try to get my full 30 gallons whenever I have fuel perks.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #29
Infam0usprime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96862
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Ti | 2001 Dodge Ram

FF Reputation: 2 Infam0usprime Good Standing Member
I drive over 80mph on the highway daily and that's what I'm averaging now 27.6 it went down cause of winter cold...don't complain if you want amazing mileage over looks get a prius. There's nothing wrong with the car, it's not going to change every time you go on the highway if you really want to know what you're getting on the highway reset it before you get there.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #30
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey folks!

Those of you who are interested in improving their fuel economy should check out our tips to boost your fuel efficiency: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...=1239636411265

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks