Yanner's 2012 stereo install - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #41
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93640
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue 5MT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Yanner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I wouldn't be using anything but CDs I am familiar with to play with audio settings. FM radio is limited in dynamic range and in my experience, many satellite radio stations (my experience is more with XM than Sirius) are very limited on bandwidth, with many stations sounding like 96kbps mp3s.

I got the remote for the lcq-1 instead of the amp figuring it would mesh better with the entire equalization rather than just turning the sub down.

Please let us know if you succeed in eliminating the turn on thump if you get to it before I do.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #42
AeR0_84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89717
What I Drive: 12,Focus,Black,Hatch,5spd,sport pkg

Points 1,369, Level 20
Points: 1,369, Level: 20 Points: 1,369, Level: 20 Points: 1,369, Level: 20
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 AeR0_84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Yanner- you have very nice equipment there, i like how your mdf home made sub box looks alot like the one pioneer makes with the same sub!
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ount/TS-SWX251

i sell those all day at my shop for 179.99.

great choice on the Audio Control product! they are waaaay better than those cheap line out converters, if i can ever hook anyone up with the audio control let me know.

also do you have any final install pics? id love to see a nice clean finished install?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #43
WaytoFocused
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99991
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 1 WaytoFocused Good Standing Member
What size power wire did you run to the LCQ?? It looks like you have 8 gauge coming out of that distrubution block but the terminals on the LCQ can barely fit 12.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #44
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaytoFocused View Post
What size power wire did you run to the LCQ?? It looks like you have 8 gauge coming out of that distrubution block but the terminals on the LCQ can barely fit 12.
I do think it was 8 but if I recall I removed a few strands of copper to get it to fit into the LCQ-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeR0_84 View Post
Yanner- you have very nice equipment there, i like how your mdf home made sub box looks alot like the one pioneer makes with the same sub!
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ount/TS-SWX251

i sell those all day at my shop for 179.99.

great choice on the Audio Control product! they are waaaay better than those cheap line out converters, if i can ever hook anyone up with the audio control let me know.

also do you have any final install pics? id love to see a nice clean finished install?
The install still looks like it does in the initial pics. I haven't had a chance to carpet the box and the amp/lcq1 are under the cargo area.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #45
hanojreason
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96982
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST1

Points 62, Level 1
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 hanojreason Good Standing Member
Nevermind. Found all the info.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #46
tjbain
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110283
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Se Sport in Grey

FF Reputation: 1 tjbain Good Standing Member
Hi Yanner,

I'm working on installing my own set of Polk db6501 components, but I'm stuck at the tweeters. It seems the new tweeter is too big to get into the stock tweeter mounts. I read what you did and I'm wondering if you can be more detailed for me? Did you somehow remove grey plastic piece from around the tweeter?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #47
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbain View Post
Hi Yanner,

I'm working on installing my own set of Polk db6501 components, but I'm stuck at the tweeters. It seems the new tweeter is too big to get into the stock tweeter mounts. I read what you did and I'm wondering if you can be more detailed for me? Did you somehow remove grey plastic piece from around the tweeter?
It's been nearly a year. Re-reading my own post, it says I bent a tab back on the sail panel to make the new tweeters fit. After scuffing the body of the tweeter, I used dabs of epoxy on the tweeter body where it touches the plastic of the sail panel when inserted. Nearly 1 year later and many door closings, it hasn't gotten loose and there's never been any rattles.

The grey plastic is what i scuffed to let the epoxy get a good grip. They key to making them fit is breaking off the correct tab on the sail panel. Let me know if you have any other questions. There's another thread of someone installing the same components and I believed they used duct tape.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #48
tjbain
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110283
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Se Sport in Grey

FF Reputation: 1 tjbain Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner View Post
It's been nearly a year. Re-reading my own post, it says I bent a tab back on the sail panel to make the new tweeters fit. After scuffing the body of the tweeter, I used dabs of epoxy on the tweeter body where it touches the plastic of the sail panel when inserted. Nearly 1 year later and many door closings, it hasn't gotten loose and there's never been any rattles.

The grey plastic is what i scuffed to let the epoxy get a good grip. They key to making them fit is breaking off the correct tab on the sail panel. Let me know if you have any other questions. There's another thread of someone installing the same components and I believed they used duct tape.
Thanks, man!! I tried keeping my cool, but it just didn't work. Haha...sooo, all but two of the tabs came off and a lot of hot glue was consumed. Oddly enough, without all the tabs there, the tweeter fit pretty nicely in the sail panel. I basically used hot glue on all the lateral edges of the tweeter, and I'm pretty certain these guys will outlast the car!!

I have another, more hypothetical question for ya, if you're willing: I'm assuming you used the two black wires as the source going into your crossover's 'inputs', and left the stock tweeter wiring alone. But unless the HU is powering BOTH the stock woofer and tweeter separately, shouldn't there be a source where the two sets of wiring merge into one set (that goes to the HU)? And wouldn't it be beneficial to tap that wiring to use as the crossover input? Or am I just over-thinking this??

Thanks again for your write-up here. I'm sure you've helped dozens of people, like myself, move on from their cost-cutting stock stereos.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #49
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbain View Post

I have another, more hypothetical question for ya, if you're willing: I'm assuming you used the two black wires as the source going into your crossover's 'inputs', and left the stock tweeter wiring alone. But unless the HU is powering BOTH the stock woofer and tweeter separately, shouldn't there be a source where the two sets of wiring merge into one set (that goes to the HU)? And wouldn't it be beneficial to tap that wiring to use as the crossover input? Or am I just over-thinking this??
Pretty sure you're over thinking it. The branch of wires connected to nowhere are practically as though they didn't exist as far as the rest of the stereo system is concerned.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #50
mister_eff
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110362
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mister_eff Good Standing Member
Hello Yanner,

What do your tweeters look like installed? Do they fit inside the stock tweeter housing?

I'm looking into upgrading my stereo (also 2012 SEL no-Sony) and I want to know how the tweeters would fit. It looks like you have the Polk db6501's which have 1"/25.4mm tweeters. Would slightly bigger tweeters fit? I'm looking at the Hertz 165 XL speakers which have 28mm tweeters.

Thanks, your thread has been super helpful for an uber-noob like me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.