I thought this car got good MPG?! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109191
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Njk570 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I thought this car got good MPG?!

Ok, so everything about the car is fantastic..BUT. I have not seen anywhere near the Average Rated MPG. I bought this Focus Used, its a 2012 Sedan Titanium, that came with just about 25000 miles. I drive this car everyday and the whole reason i bought this was because of the MPG, im averaging 27.8 mpg. about 75% highway and 25% rural road area. Call me crazy but i believe something is wrong here. I don't by any means drive like an insane person, i gradually gain speed and use cruise control a lot. I live in central Pennsylvania so the temp is low to mid 30s right now in the day time. I know gas mileage decreases in cold weather, but seriously....getting 10 less than the rate mpg is a little ridiculous. Anybody have any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cruise control can kill mileage when the road isn't straight and flat.

Also, winter gas will easily get you 2-3mpg less vs summer gas, sometimes it's even worse.

Also, the combined rating for your vehicle should be about 31 mpg. the 38 rating is for highway ONLY, and any city driving will bring that down considerably.

Also remember that EPA estimates are based off conditions most drivers never encounter. Driving above 60-65mph on the highway will start killing mileage as well, and taking too long to get up to speed can also negatively effect mileage in many cases.

In short, the EPA ratings are junk and should be used solely to compare different vehicles, and rarely represent actual mileage you will obtain.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Cruise control can kill mileage when the road isn't straight and flat.

Also, winter gas will easily get you 2-3mpg less vs summer gas, sometimes it's even worse.

Also, the combined rating for your vehicle should be about 31 mpg. the 38 rating is for highway ONLY, and any city driving will bring that down considerably.

Also remember that EPA estimates are based off conditions most drivers never encounter. Driving above 60-65mph on the highway will start killing mileage as well, and taking too long to get up to speed can also negatively effect mileage in many cases.

In short, the EPA ratings are junk and should be used solely to compare different vehicles, and rarely represent actual mileage you will obtain.
The highway is mostly flat, and i dont live in a city. Theres no red lights, just stop signs, that i never even stop at.. Not to mention i tested this driving 55mph. So i cant imagine driving 60-65 then.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njk570 View Post
Ok, so everything about the car is fantastic..BUT. I have not seen anywhere near the Average Rated MPG. I bought this Focus Used, its a 2012 Sedan Titanium, that came with just about 25000 miles. I drive this car everyday and the whole reason i bought this was because of the MPG, im averaging 27.8 mpg. about 75% highway and 25% rural road area. Call me crazy but i believe something is wrong here. I don't by any means drive like an insane person, i gradually gain speed and use cruise control a lot. I live in central Pennsylvania so the temp is low to mid 30s right now in the day time. I know gas mileage decreases in cold weather, but seriously....getting 10 less than the rate mpg is a little ridiculous. Anybody have any recommendations?
What was it getting last summer= warmer weather? Or did you just get it? I'd wait till you get some desent weather. Hows you air filter? At 30,000 I'd get your fuel injecters cleaned.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
What was it getting last summer= warmer weather? Or did you just get it? I'd wait till you get some desent weather. Hows you air filter? At 30,000 I'd get your fuel injecters cleaned.
I just got it less than a month ago, and i havnt checked the air filter.And what do you recommend for changing the fuel injectors?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
I have a little over 8K on my Ti and I hit 40 mpg just this past Thursday. I reset the avg mpg counter right as I got onto the highway and set the cruise right at 60. Just as I approached the exit I peaked at 40.1 mpg, while I was slowing to a stop it climbed to 41.9

BTW here in the Cleveland area (because of the pollution) we have to run E10 year round.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 02-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
I have a little over 8K on my Ti and I hit 40 mpg just this past Thursday. I reset the avg mpg counter right as I got onto the highway and set the cruise right at 60. Just as I approached the exit I peaked at 40.1 mpg, while I was slowing to a stop it climbed to 41.9

BTW here in the Cleveland area (because of the pollution) we have to run E10 year round.
Thats what i use here in PA
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Cruise control isn't likely to be the problem and is usually better than your foot at controlling speed unless your in hilly country, particularly rolling hills.

The MK3 FF is good to great at mileage if you can cruise but if you are stuck in stop-and-go driving the mileage really drops off the table. I can drive a section of city roads with a speed limit of 35-40mph and get over 40mpg if, IF I can avoid traffic lights and stop-and-go, but if I hit the lights badly or the traffic is bad the mileage can drop down towards 20mpg -- OVER THE SAME STRETCH OF ROAD.

Brian
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Cruise control isn't likely to be the problem and is usually better than your foot at controlling speed unless your in hilly country, particularly rolling hills.

The MK3 FF is good to great at mileage if you can cruise but if you are stuck in stop-and-go driving the mileage really drops off the table. I can drive a section of city roads with a speed limit of 35-40mph and get over 40mpg if, IF I can avoid traffic lights and stop-and-go, but if I hit the lights badly or the traffic is bad the mileage can drop down towards 20mpg -- OVER THE SAME STRETCH OF ROAD.

Brian
Theres not many hilly roads where im from. Mostly straight.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Milwaukee, WY
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102089
What I Drive: 2013 Bordeaux Reserve Fusion SE(L)

FF Reputation: 1 Milwaukee, WY Good Standing Member
I was personally averaging 31 MPG all last summer and fall, but since the cold weather set in and with the winter blend fuel, I'm now averaging 27.4. If you look at the Monroney, it gives a range of mileages for the car. 27 MPG falls within this range.

...aaaaaand... 2009 Flex Limited - FWD - Black w/Silver Two-tone - Panoramic Vista roof

Bookmarks & Social Networks