2001 focus zx3 manual trans clunking barely engages - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109390
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZX3 Dark Shadow Gray

FF Reputation: 1 FoMoCus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok a little update. I figured out the source of my noise and transmission problems. I finally the trans out, and opened it up. The spider gears that turn the cv ring gears had eaten themselves almost smooth. There were handfuls of metal shaving on the magnets and everywhere else. I finally got it all cleaned up, and I'm going to attempt to replace the spider gears and use the same transmission instead of swapping the trans. I think the spider gears in the sohc trans are the same, but I'm going to take them both out and measure and count the teeth to make sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #32
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
What your doing is not sensible. The sensible thing would be to get an MTX75 from a wrecker and use it without tearing it apart. Then save your old MTX75 for parts. At some future date if the wrecking yard transmission fails in some different manner, maybe you can take both apart and create a functional one. But you have absolutely no need to do this now.

You have to face the fact, FoMoCus. Your emotionally involved in the SOHC trans. And not in a good way, in a very bad way that is going to ultimately cost you a lot of money. You are at the point now where your not even looking at it logically anymore. "I think the spider gears are the same?" WTF kind of foolish talk is that? You can walk into Autozone tomorrow and ask for them to get both the SOHC and DOHC axles down off the shelf and put them next to each other to see if they are the same, without even taking a wrench to the SOHC trans - you don't HAVE to guess. You can look up the parts now and see they are not the same for the axles. The only reason that you are guessing is because your so bent on making up justifications to yourself out of thin air to justify not taking the SOHC trans back that your aren't even using your head anymore. Your thinking with your emotions - you are absolutely the same right now as those dumb-ass ricers who buy "fart cans" and hang them on the exhaust and convince themselves the "fart cans" are worth 10Hp extra.

Let it go. The SOHC trans is a lost cause. Let it go to some other guy who has a SOHC. Just let it go and walk away. Are you just embarassed to walk back into the wrecker and tell them you didn't know the diffference between the transes? Are you kidding? Do you think they haven't had someone ever do that before?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #33
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

Look, don't be an . I don't appreciate your comments and frankly I'm not going to listen to you insult people over a computer. I'll report it if I have to, but just be an adult. It's not the gears that run the cv shafts. Its the spider gears, or side gears as Ford sometimes calls them. And it isn't that I don't want to return the sohc trans, I could care less about that, I can do it for free and I have no shame in doing so. It's because I don't feel like going through the work of pulling another transmission if I have the parts right in front of me. Regardless of how "easy" it is to do in the junkyard, I don't want to if I don't need to. Also keeping my transmission has the personal bonus for me of knowing how many miles are actually on every component, because with the digital odometer I don't know how many are on a junkyard donor.

I can't find a part diagram so I can't check to see if the part numbers match. I'll be pulling the gears out to get a better look at them sometime this week. I'm not going to install them if they aren't correct, but if they are it will be good for other's reference in case someone has trouble finding these ring gears. I couldn't find them anywhere online short of buying an entire limited slip ring gear setup. Mine looks about just like this guys.. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4392861

And I will still be exchanging the sohc trans after I get through with it, but my goal is to repair my stock transmission and have a spare junkyard trans sitting on the bench I can clean up and maybe put a LS into. My stock one is cleaned out well and with new spiders should be fine, but should something else go wrong down the road I'll put in the donor.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #34
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
"...And I will still be exchanging the sohc trans after I get through with it..."

OK I get it now. So what your saying is if the gears in the SOHC trans work, your going to exchange them with the broken gears then return the SOHC trans with the broken gears in it and get an MTX75 from the wrecker?

Well, if the SOHC trans was ready to go into the crusher, well I guess you could say the wrecker isn't actually losing any money - you just diverted the SOHC trans for a bit from the scrap metal waste stream, removed a few small key parts, then returned it to the scrap metal waste stream - and Lord knows they probably have a yard full of SOHC transes because of the dropping valve seat issue in those engines. And I certainly won't defend wreckers anyway - the pick and pulls around here stick you for a yard entry fee and you have to pay it to see if they even have a decent vehicle you can get any usable parts from.

But you just blew your moral high ground to get all unappreciative of my comments I think! In any case, why was what I was assuming unreasonable? You provided no logical reason for holding on to the SOHC transmission. Now what your saying makes perfect sense - and please do let us know if the side gears work.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

Okay I'm finally back. I know I was really persistent on utilizing the sohc trans, but I really just wanted to do what was easier, and since I had it on hand already I wanted to try. Good news and bad news though. After looking at the side gears or spider gears, whatever you choose to call them, the "outer" diameter part of the gears seem the same and probably would have worked, but I didn't use them. When everyone said the cv shafts are different between the two transmissions, I assumed it was the length that was different. But the number of teeth on the end of the cv shaft is different. Those teeth are on the inside of 2 of the side gears. So I wasn't able to do what I intended, which was to salvage the sohc gears, and exchange it for a spare. But I went to the junkyard today and the good news is they had two dohc mtx-75's. One was from an 03 and had the different shift linkage, and one was a 2000. I got the 2000 for simplicity's sake.

Didn't cost me anything to exchange it, except my time. I don't know how many miles are on it, but I'm just going to install this transmission whole and hope for the best. I bought a clutch kit with a slave, so I'm going to clean this trans up and install the new clutch and slave tomorrow. I'll wait until monday to install the transmission itself, as I'm waiting on new cv axle seals from the dealer.

On a side note, yes there were a bunch of sohc focuses..foci...? There were about a dozen candidates out there, and only 2 were dohc manuals, and there was one dohc with an auto.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #36
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Sounds like more than a six pack job at this point, replacing that slave is a good idea - no need to do it again!

Luck with the project...
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #37
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

It's more than a six pack job just to drop the trans on this little thing! I've never done a front wheel drive transmission pull before. I guess it was about how I expected. Unless you have plenty of patience and some experience/confidence I wouldn't try to tackle it. Doing it the way I did, although more work, made me a lot more confident in the procedure and helped me understand the inner workings of the transmission and the mechanicals of the focus in general. If you can do this, there isn't anything you can't do on a focus in my opinion.

I'll be attempting the reinstall tomorrow I think. That will be the challenge, lining it up and making sure everything seats properly. I'll let everybody know how it goes.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #38
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92148
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCus View Post
It's more than a six pack job just to drop the trans on this little thing! I've never done a front wheel drive transmission pull before. I guess it was about how I expected. Unless you have plenty of patience and some experience/confidence I wouldn't try to tackle it. Doing it the way I did, although more work, made me a lot more confident in the procedure and helped me understand the inner workings of the transmission and the mechanicals of the focus in general. If you can do this, there isn't anything you can't do on a focus in my opinion.

I'll be attempting the reinstall tomorrow I think. That will be the challenge, lining it up and making sure everything seats properly. I'll let everybody know how it goes.
I may very well end up pulling mine out in the near future, in my garage.

Do you have any tips, or suggestions? I hate to be the one to ask, especially without having had researched it first, but:
Do you have a walk-through, or could you create a walk-through (text, video, picture, or any combination)?

I will have 5-days a week off here shortly. Time will not be an issue.
This is my thread, by the way (in case you wanted to read it):
- http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310324

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #39
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

I'll post into your thread.

I still haven't put the new trans back in mine yet, I was busy this past weekend so I'll be giving next weekend to this project.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #40
FoMoCus
Focus Enthusiast

Well I've been putting in some overtime at work and I've been out of town a lot until this past weekend, but I finally got the replacement transmission installed this past Saturday. This weekend I have to get the rest of it put back together (suspension, axles, bleed the clutch, etc.) then it'll be time for the moment of truth. Getting it back in was pretty horrible. I'll just say it involved myself and 3 other people, ratchet straps, and a lot of swearing.

On a side not, I'm pretty sure the clutch I removed was the original but it still looked good. It had about as much meat on it as the new replacement did, but I changed it and the slave cylinder anyways. I don't intend on taking this thing back apart anytime soon.

Bookmarks & Social Networks