Official Mk3 interior trim thread - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #61
BaconZombie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98205
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTi, United Grey

FF Reputation: 3 BaconZombie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Eh, I have several spots of vinyl that are pulling up on mine. I think it might all be going back to stock this weekend. I like the look of the color, but I think I need to find some better quality vinyl and try again. Anyone know where I can get some good quality orange vinyl?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #62
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I got my 3m 1080 from metro restyling. That's as good as it gets.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #63
fordnut02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96119
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 fordnut02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
With more members customizing the interior trim of their Mk3s, I thought I'd start an official showcase thread for them all.

If you have painted, wrapped, or otherwise changed the console and door trim, let's see! Post some photos and info.

Exterior colour: Yellow Blaze
Trim: Door trim, painted Yellow Blaze.

do the rear door panel parts like that come off ?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #64
glocker
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102954
What I Drive: '12 Sonic Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 glocker Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenney View Post
not pickin on you, i think it looks pretty good, but it looks like you got some orange peel there... you should have done some color sanding and polishing to get rid of it.
Perhaps you have better eyes than I do. I don't see where you're talking about.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #65
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze SE sedan

FF Reputation: 8 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordnut02 View Post
do the rear door panel parts like that come off ?
I haven't tried. I'm leaving them because being a larger single piece, I think it'd be a lot of colour.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #66
turbonium911
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106996
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 turbonium911 Good Standing Member
Welp, 7 months in and my CF got absolutely destroyed. Freaking Tim Hortons steeped tea! Seeped into the CF and started bubbling up on hot days. I had cleaned it up right after it spilled, but I guess some of it got in between the cracks and over time on warm summer days undid the glue and caused warped bubbling at all the shifter trim areas.

Suck me b*lls Timmies! Why do you make such good tea that I can't resist you every morning!!

Well just this past week bit the bullet and ripped off all the Vinyl and just painted all the trim pieces.

Most folks say either Duplicolour or Krylon Fusion paint. Being the cheapo that I am I just went with Painter's Touch Rustoleum from Home Depot.

For those who want to paint it, I'll throw down a how to guide on what I did to get it to stick and become durable.

Here's how it turned out after 2 weeks off prep and curing and polishing.

Note the E-Brake color is not the same as the rest of the trim. I did that a different colour just to see if it contrasts well. Going to be changing it to match the rest of the trim.

Pictures are in different lighting conditions to show how it would appear based on time of day.

I know there is a how to paint interior guide in the How-To archives, but I found that method to be a little sketchy and leaving the assumption that any paint used will bind.

Step 1:
Remove all the pieces that you want to paint. There are plenty of posts/threads detailing on how to go about removing the trim pieces from doors, E-Brake handle, center console and Shifter surrounding trim.

Step 2:
Using a automotive paint thinner/stripper, I sprayed it on to my trim pieces and let it sit for overnight (8 hours). After it had time to soak in, using 60 grit scrubbing sponge, I stripped off the paint that is currently on all the trim pieces. I stripped it down to the grey/black bare plastic. Rinsed the pieces off with cold water and dried them off with a hair dryer on warm setting. This also allowed any off the chemicals that are part of the molding process to condense out of the trim. Using rubbing alcohol and a terry cloth I wiped them down again to remove any of these chemicals.

After wiping down with alcohol, I took a 600 grit wet sandpaper (soaked at least 1 minute in warm water) and sanded the trim pieces to a smooth finish. By smooth I mean it is smooth to the touch but, it has micro abrasions which are deep enough, and plenty enough to increase the surface bonding area for the next step, which is primer.

Step 3:
Apply Primer.
There were 3 or 4 primer colour options for Rustoleum's Painter's Touch 2X series Aerosol spray cans. As I was going for a red paint finish, I picked up the Red Primer spray can. 1 can more than suffices for all the trim pieces.
Using some of the common techniques such as 6-10 inches, back and forth motion and starting spray before going over trim, I started with a very light first coat of primer. After waiting 15 minutes, I applied another second light coat of primer evenly across all the trim pieces. Again, waited 15 minutes. Then put on a final third coat of primer, this time with a slightly heavier coat. By having a red primer colour you can tell if you have achieved full coverage over all the pieces. At this point Rustoleum states that within either 1 hour or after 48 hours you should put on the paint coat. What I did is give it at least a day to dry. Then I took a 800 grit wet sand paper and lightly sanded down the primer to remove any bumps or excess primer spray. Rinse it down lightly and let dry either under the sun or using a hair dryer/heat gun. Make sure that you let it dry sufficiently as you cannot afford to have any moisture get caught between the primer and paint.

Step 3:
Apply Paint.
Using the same method as the primer, I applied 3 coats of paint. The paint I used was Rustoleum's Painter's Touch 2X Colonial Red 1 spray can more than suffices for all the trim pieces. First coat is a light coat. Wait 10 minutes. Second coat is a light coat. Wait 15 minutes. Third coat is about double the spray density (same spray amount as first 2 coats combined) This should give you adequate coverage of all surfaces. Now wait about 40 minutes. At this point the paint should have dried enough that it feels tacky to the touch.

Step 4:
Apply Clear Coat.
Again using the same method as the primer, I applied 3 coats of paint. The clear coat is Rustoleum's Painter's Touch 2X. They have 4 different types: (Clear Gloss, Semi Gloss, Satin, Matte). First, a light coat. Wait 10 minutes. Second coat. Wait 15 minutes. Third coat. Wait 20 minutes. If the whole surface of trim pieces look equal in the glossy look after half an hour, then a fourth coat of clear isn't necessary.

Step 5:
Since this paint is applied on plastic trim pieces, I set all my pieces in the garage to dry and to cure for about 6 days heeding the advise on the Painter's Touch spray cans. After 6 days, I took 3000 grit wet sand paper and very lightly sanded the trim pieces to remove any excess clear and to smooth it down. Finally using a buffing compound followed by a polishing compound, using a terry cloth I buffed/polished the pieces until a shine was visible.

Step 6:
Reinstall pieces and admire your work.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #67
NeoVeNoM
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107732
What I Drive: 2011, Moondust Silver, Focus MK3

FF Reputation: 1 NeoVeNoM Good Standing Member
Carbonized mine today.

still have to do the right side blower. can't get it out.

For those who are satisfied with just the look of carbon minus the feel, plus the plug in/out.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...152127255.html
Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #68
mikealicious
'Merica

Fan#: 47077
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT (gone), 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 8 mikealicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonium911 View Post

why? just why? I'm not trying to be rude at all, just voicing my opinion. Are you honestly pleased with how this came out?

I just don't get it. I don't think I've ever seen someone paint their interior trim (usually red or blue) and have it looking ANYWHERE close to decent. Always looks cheap and gawdy, and reminds me of those super ricer hondas.

the interior looked nice stock. why ruin it?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #69
FocusTi1990
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117620
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 FocusTi1990 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoVeNoM View Post
Carbonized mine today.

still have to do the right side blower. can't get it out.

For those who are satisfied with just the look of carbon minus the feel, plus the plug in/out.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...152127255.html

Wow that carbon fiber looks great.....
Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #70
NeoVeNoM
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107732
What I Drive: 2011, Moondust Silver, Focus MK3

FF Reputation: 1 NeoVeNoM Good Standing Member
Thanks.

though I have had some decent practise on airsoft guns.

Bookmarks & Social Networks