This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #101
Guimpy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88333
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Guimpy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Was that an option on the SE?
There's a thread on this subject:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...w+washer+fluid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #102
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
For getting stuck, get a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTreads. I got rid of the OEM tires after I destroyed two of them. Yes the Conti's aren't really that great. I managed to get stuck in our work parking lot pretty much every day last year and had to "rock" the vehicle so I could back out of my parking spot. Unfortunately, since I purchased the new tires, I haven't had a chance to try them out on this car, but on my other previous Foci, the TripleTreads worked great. Part of the problem with the Focus that I can see is that it is so low to the ground (so clearance on unplowed roads is an issue).
Old 01-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #103
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
having a manual helps

as long as it has ABS, make do. Snow is snow. Had a few inches this winter and it was fine, although I wish the electric steering allowed for a bit more feel. Drove an old Celica stick with no ABS through real bad unplowed snow and lots of two lanes with big hills....scary but no accidents. just be careful and work with what you have
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #104
Flybigrc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103155
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Flybigrc Good Standing Member
St. Louis received around 6 inches of snow yesterday and as usual snow plows were no where to be found. I was in at least 4 inches of snow on every major highway and the sleet was coming and going the entire time.

GOOD NEWS.
My Yokohama Ice Guards worked great. Now I remember why when I was growing up in Chicago everyone switched to snow tires in the winter. The Focus drove great, no issues at all, even when I had to drive through a 3 foot wall of snow a plow left blocking the exit ramp to southbound I-55.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #105
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
i upgraded my tires to Continental ExtremeContact DWS (dry wet snow) all season tires. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #106
29Tudor
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95879
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 29Tudor Good Standing Member
I just put on a set of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS also. At first I didn't want to pay that much for new tires, but when you're driving around with $500 deductible on your insurance and as much as any new car costs to fix now it started making a whole lot more sense. I sold the OEM's on CL with more than half the tread left. But now I'm seeing the results and am very happy with making the switch. I've been out in 4-5" snow with out any problem getting around. Of course you have to know how to drive in the stuff also. Saying that after living in Michigan for over 50 years and never have been stuck not even with a '58 VW.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #107
1rkRAGE
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107519
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatch - Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 1rkRAGE Good Standing Member
I got new PureContact w/ EcoPlus and they're fantastic in the snow as well. Combined with constantly using highest gear with selectshift, I haven't seen the Traction control go off in a while now.

During my drive in a semi-unplowed road early this morning I was doing the speed limit without any noticeable slippage. I've had no serious understeer like in the past set of tires either.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #108
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Tudor View Post
I just put on a set of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS also. At first I didn't want to pay that much for new tires, but when you're driving around with $500 deductible on your insurance and as much as any new car costs to fix now it started making a whole lot more sense. I sold the OEM's on CL with more than half the tread left. But now I'm seeing the results and am very happy with making the switch. I've been out in 4-5" snow with out any problem getting around. Of course you have to know how to drive in the stuff also. Saying that after living in Michigan for over 50 years and never have been stuck not even with a '58 VW.
NICE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rkRAGE View Post
I got new PureContact w/ EcoPlus and they're fantastic in the snow as well. Combined with constantly using highest gear with selectshift, I haven't seen the Traction control go off in a while now.

During my drive in a semi-unplowed road early this morning I was doing the speed limit without any noticeable slippage. I've had no serious understeer like in the past set of tires either.
I just had a Continental rep here at the dealer last week and he was saying the PureContact's are the cats meow. lol.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #109
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
No offense to OP, or maybe a lot of offense, but if you can't manage this car in what amounts to a weak Toronto winter then what the hell are you doing wrong?

I never bothered getting winter shoes for my car, in Edmonton, and I had a blast. No issues, never got stuck, no shenanigans on slippery intersections.

Proper driving habits and techniques matter just as much if not more than winter tires.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #110
1rkRAGE
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107519
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatch - Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 1rkRAGE Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire View Post
NICE!!!

I just had a Continental rep here at the dealer last week and he was saying the PureContact's are the cats meow. lol.
is that a good meow or bad meow? :p

Tirerack had it for $2 more than the DWS and said it's relatively new so I said whatever, might as well try it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks