Are new 2013 Focus's having same issues as 2012? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #41
garate55
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108903
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Ti

FF Reputation: 1 garate55 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just noticed the mismatch in my trim along the bottom of the windows in the mirror the other day, and I for one, am not worried at all about it. I like the looks of the car and nobody but me can see the offset in trim. Other than that if the trim is my biggest complaint, oh and also hitting my head at the Starbucks drive through on my window frame bugs me but not enough to "hate" my car.

I will live with the little quirks, it's a whole lot better than my 2000 Honda CR-V with it's many rattles, 240,000 miles and gutless power, not to mention 24mpg.

I love my car! All 2100 miles worth of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #42
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
And yet the Focus continues to win accolades.
Every car out there wins magazine "accolades". They fade with the next issue and the next batch of freebies given to the writers.

Quote:
Like making the Car and Driver 2013 10 best list.
They give more points for being noisy than quiet. Not exactly the criteria most people prioritize.

That being said they were critical of the "auto" transmission.

Quote:
And just being named U.S. News' Best Compact Car for the Money.
Sure, it's low price was a major contributing factor, but look at consumer reports, only the sedan scores high in the sedan segment, it doesn't excel in the hatchback/wagon category, nor is it in their 25 recommended cars under $25k list.

As I said, I have the focus because the $2500 cash back made it the best deal, not because it was the best car. It has it's strong points and its weak points, and is overall a middle of the road product, sporty and fun to drive, but with limited space and comfort, spotty quality and a transmission that may be a ticking time bomb.

More to the point, none of these particular accolades or absences in the various car magazines and consumer ratings addresses how well Ford is going to treat us with this transmission if and when it goes bad for us individually. That's the concern I have right now, and honestly from what I am reading Ford didn't fix the known issues for 2013 and is doing everything it can to leave the consumer holding the bag of oil contaminated, shredded clutches while it tries to treat it as a PR issue and not a design or quality issue.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #43
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Titanium View Post
What MPG do you guys average on the highway?
between 30 & 38 mph. depending on how fast i drive, where i drive and if i'm alone or with someone. these are 700-mile trips with some city driving too.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #44
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_J View Post
Every car out there wins magazine "accolades". They fade with the next issue and the next batch of freebies given to the writers.
Yeeaaahhh but the ones I mentioned just came out, nearly 2 years after the car's introduction. Try again.

Quote:
They give more points for being noisy than quiet. Not exactly the criteria most people prioritize.

That being said they were critical of the "auto" transmission.
Please actually read the accolade before paraphrasing it. I see phrases like "A Focus might cost slightly more than other cars in its compact class, but for a few bucks extra, it's profoundly better." And "It's as if Ford built the Focus's structure to compete with Mercedes-Benz, the steering with Porsche, and the suspension with Lotus." And "But even the lowliest Focus is suffused with character and quality far above its price."

Yes they called the automatic a "dullard", and I don't completely disagree. But, like them, I see past the one main flaw of the car and recognize that all the other attributes outweigh the flaw by a large margin. Perhaps someday you will come to realize the same.

Try again.

Quote:
Sure, it's low price was a major contributing factor, but look at consumer reports, only the sedan scores high in the sedan segment, it doesn't excel in the hatchback/wagon category, nor is it in their 25 recommended cars under $25k list.
CR prioritizes lack of reported gripes over style and driving excitement. Always has. "Not exactly the criteria I prioritize."

Try again.

As for the longevity of the tranny, you're new here but there have been several posters with well over 50k miles who've reported no issues with the DCT. One was even over 100k miles already. And perusing the free Carfax reports for the high mileage Focus listings on autotrader, I haven't seen any mentioning "transmission service" or the like. There's no evidence yet of early failure of the DCT as a whole, aside from the faulty seals that are being replaced for most.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #45
ds48059
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110244
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 ds48059 Good Standing Member
My 2013 with 3,800 miles died on the way home - no warning, just lost all power. Had to wait awile for it to start again. Taking it to the dealer in the morning. Not a happy camper.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #46
snow12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108999
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 1 snow12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds48059 View Post
My 2013 with 3,800 miles died on the way home - no warning, just lost all power. Had to wait awile for it to start again. Taking it to the dealer in the morning. Not a happy camper.
Wow thats crazy. Sounds like some kind of ECU or electronics issue maybe
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #47
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeeaaahhh but the ones I mentioned just came out, nearly 2 years after the car's introduction.
LOL,you missed my point entirely, it doesn't matter what you find in one of car and drivers thousands and thousands of car reviews, they don't make the focus better than it is.

If you really believed reviews you'd be on the Honda Fit board.

Quote:
As for the longevity of the tranny, you're new here but there have been several posters with well over 50k miles who've reported no issues with the DCT.
Sorry, but that is as meaningless as saying "Crack isn't bad because my brother smoked it and he's fine."

The Focus DCT has a problem, and it's looking like the 2013 is just as bad as the 2012.

If you don't think the focus has an issue, go look at NHTSA complaints for 2012, honda fit has about 7 complaints, hyundai elantra has 35 or so, focus 161, the vast majority on the tranny. Car and driver fluff articles aside, that spells bad tranny. The question now isn't if the tranny is a POS, that's settled, it has a very high failure rate and drivability issues that seem to stem from leaks or early clutch failures. The question now is if ford is going to stand behind it or not on what is otherwise a decent car.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #48
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My 2012 with MFT and DCT is approaching 8k miles and I still love it. The newest MFT update was a step backward for me, but that's really my only issue with the car. Remember they've sold hundreds of thousands of these and a large majority of them are problem free, and the owners don't come here to say how great their car is. On the flipside when people have issues (and there are some) they come here to rant or to get help.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #49
bikerlbf406
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103697
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 bikerlbf406 Good Standing Member
I have a '13 SE with the auto trans (non select sport shift) with sync & myford (non touch). I absolutely love my car, other then it acting like a manual trans if you take off heavy (not light but not full throttle either), but that is normal for all dual clutch auto transmissions, regardless of make/model. Once you get used to how much gas to give it, it behaves just fine with no noises, shuttering, or any other problems. I haven't experienced any noise from my car whatsoever. Gas mileage is my only complaint.....I average about 27 mpg and the best I got was like 30 mpg all highway....a far cry from the advertised MPG. I currently have a little over 1500 miles on the car and have owned it 5 months. Haven't had to even call the dealer about problems as the car has been completely trouble free.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #50
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorZ View Post
My 2012 with MFT and DCT is approaching 8k miles and I still love it. The newest MFT update was a step backward for me, but that's really my only issue with the car. Remember they've sold hundreds of thousands of these and a large majority of them are problem free, and the owners don't come here to say how great their car is. On the flipside when people have issues (and there are some) they come here to rant or to get help.
Sure, but none of that means the focus DCT doesn't have a problem. The number of complaints on any of the forums is huge compared to similar cars. Clearly there is an issue, we just don't know how big it is yet.

The real test will be when all these cars start hitting 60k miles + and are out of warranty. On edmunds forums I saw a post where a guy hit 30k and his clutch packs went out, if you get 30 k out clutch packs you beter get that second one in before 60k and sell the car before 90k.

Also remember that even if you are the XX% that doesn't have issues or early clutch failures, that any higher than normal transmission failure rate can erase hundreds or thousands of dollars from your cars value even if it is OK.

Ford needs to get this tranny bulletproof sooner rather than later, then retrofit the 300k existing cars with whatever is needed to restore confidence.

Bookmarks & Social Networks