Installed Homelink visor in our SE 4 door - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
roderunner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108779
What I Drive: 2014 White Plat. Fusion 1.6L stick

Points 113, Level 2
Points: 113, Level: 2 Points: 113, Level: 2 Points: 113, Level: 2
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 roderunner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Great find Nutty and nice shortcut Fred! Once you have it, it's hard to go back, especially if you use multiple openers. I got mine from Heller Ford in Ill. and followed 4havnfun's protocol on my 2013 SE sedan. I agree, it's a simple mod and works seamlessly.

Getting the screw caps off is a cinch if you have a dental tool (shown here) or a bobby pin or paper clip with a bent tip:

My screws used a T-20 Torx rather than T-15. I couldn't get the fitting to pull through so I looked under the headliner and found it was glued in place just inboard from the drivers door behind the A pillar. After carefully freeing it from the headliner it could be pulled through and disconnected. For those of us not familiar with all the Ford connection locks, just press down here with your handy pick:

Button it up and it's ready to program. Since our '13 manuals don't have the procedure listed, it's probably the same as one of your other cars if it was an option. In this case, hold your remote transmitter next to the new button you wish to use, press them simultaneously and a red light flashes on your homelink. After a few seconds it flashes fast and that means it's programmed. Certain rolling codes may need a different procedure, but that's another matter. Here's a look at the unit (red light is located in the arrow, next to center button):[

Great mod, reasonably priced!

PS Although it isn't an option for 2013, the Homelink appears clearly in the "sunroof" picture in the 2013 catalog. Who knows why it wasn't included as an option -- maybe a supply issue? Perhaps it will be officially back next year.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
HoneyBadger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104860
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 HoneyBadger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2 View Post
yes. I had started out looking to do the insulation and the I thought that I would have to cut and wire the visor. But when I pulled the headliner down I saw the socket, put a meter on it an it is 12V on all the time. Put the plug in and the vanity light came on then programmed 2 of the 3 switches. Both garage doors opened. Also there is a similar socket on the passenger side.
Any idea if this is always on when the car is off? Might use that for my mirror installation.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
Woodsman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96888
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Woodsman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Any idea if this is always on when the car is off? Might use that for my mirror installation.
Yes, that line is always ON; even when the car is OFF.

Do you want your rear-view mirror energized while the vehicle is OFF? That would be a constant drain.

2012 Focus: 2.0L Duratec GDI, Hatchback, SE Sport, 3.82 Torque Vectoring, 5MT, Winter Package, 203A, Race Red - Original Owner
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
HoneyBadger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104860
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 HoneyBadger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
Yes, that line is always ON; even when the car is OFF.

Do you want your rear-view mirror energized while the vehicle is OFF? That would be a constant drain.

Yes of course I want this always on. Duh gotta drain that battery faster! I am just looking for alternatives than routing wire to the glove box fuse panel. I don't feel like opening up the top of my roof just to look around.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #25
Woodsman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96888
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Woodsman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
I don't feel like opening up the top of my roof just to look around.
I understand that.

If you take down the visor, you can get a reasonable look above the headliner from the side. I wanted to be sure that I had a live wire in there before I ordered the Homelink visor replacement.

Good luck.

2012 Focus: 2.0L Duratec GDI, Hatchback, SE Sport, 3.82 Torque Vectoring, 5MT, Winter Package, 203A, Race Red - Original Owner
Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #26
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

Points 131, Level 2
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
I have the HomeLink on my 2012 SEL and it works great. I can start to open one of the garage doors from 50 feet away. Another button is for the 2nd garage door but I have yet to use the 3rd button
Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
maalox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105436
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE 5dr

Points 100, Level 1
Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 maalox Good Standing Member
I did this install this weekend in my 2012 SE 5-Door. Thanks to those of you who did the leg work on this. Since there have been some questions about the wiring aspect, I thought I'd add pictures of the factory connector that is indeed glued to the top of the headliner.

After removing the original visor as shown above, take the door seal loose, and gently pull up on the a-pillar trim. It will pop up about 1/2-3/4", do not try to remove it completely. This will allow you to access the plug for the Homelink visor that is glued to the top of the factory headliner. The plug is black and red plastic. Just pull up firmly with your fingers, and it will come loose. You'll need to feed it through the larger hole in the headliner where the visor mounts. I didn't take a picture of this, as it's pretty self-explanitory. Plug the new Homelink sunvisor in and open the mirror cover. If the mirror lights come on, you're good to go. Visor installation is the reverse of removal. Programming instructions are in the owner's manual. I'd say total time for this, including programming Homelink to your garage door opener, will take the average person around 30 minutes. The only tools you need are a T20 Torx and a pocket flathead or small pick.

Last edited by maalox; 03-27-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #28
Btravelen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106375
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium 5 dr. Tuxedo Black

Points 151, Level 3
Points: 151, Level: 3 Points: 151, Level: 3 Points: 151, Level: 3
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Btravelen Good Standing Member
Just finished installing mine. I popped the top clips of the 'A' pillar cover off and was able to pull down the corner of the headliner to access the plug. Whatever works.. nice install.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #29
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 13,550, Level 75
Points: 13,550, Level: 75 Points: 13,550, Level: 75 Points: 13,550, Level: 75
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
you guys are lucky! Mine did NOT have the plug, ended up tapping power from the dome light.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #30
Btravelen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106375
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium 5 dr. Tuxedo Black

Points 151, Level 3
Points: 151, Level: 3 Points: 151, Level: 3 Points: 151, Level: 3
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Btravelen Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
you guys are lucky! Mine did NOT have the plug, ended up tapping power from the dome light.
So, your SE didn't have the lighted visor mirror?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.