Looking at a 2013 SE 5spd - Talk me into a Powershift - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow12 View Post
Damn I wish mine did that good!

My commute is highway and some stop and go. I thought it would do better, maybe i'm
Are you using premium and are you heavy footed? When I drive like normal I see 26-28, when I stick to following timed shifts and feathering the throttle I see 34-36.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #22
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Driving manuals my whole life, had to switch to auto.. wife cannot drive manual etc.. I like the DCT and I always drive it like a manual (20k miles so far) using the toggle shifter havent had issues (maybe cause I operate shifting like manual..) but definitely many many people have..
I can tell you DCT manual mode shifts faster than I could with a true manual but if I didnt need to go with DCT then I would have gone manual trans
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
Turb0x3r
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109929
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Turb0x3r Good Standing Member
AVOID DCT!!! It's not proven platform and it's been problematic.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
Hans104
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107193
What I Drive: 2013 SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Hans104 Good Standing Member
+1 on MT

I have just under 260,000 miles on the same trans in my 2003 and haven't had any problems.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #25
snow12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108999
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 1 snow12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
Are you using premium and are you heavy footed? When I drive like normal I see 26-28, when I stick to following timed shifts and feathering the throttle I see 34-36.
Yeah i've been using premium because I read how the Focus supposedly takes advantage of it, its only a couple of dollars more per tank too.

As far as being heavy footed I drive like a grandpa I guess you could say, I go exactly the speed limit and accelerate moderately
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #26
Matasickle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77627
What I Drive: MK3 SGM SE

FF Reputation: 2 Matasickle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I didn't read any of this rubbish.

All I have to say is: "5 SPD OR BUST!"
Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #27
Jester1911
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109586
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray SE 5door

FF Reputation: 1 Jester1911 Good Standing Member
Just picked up my 5 spd last week. I drive 100 miles a day, and I'm loving it. On back country roads I'm hitting 33 mpg on the screen, and 35mpg actually calculated. 2 tanks of gas through it so far.

I suggest the MT, you'll love it.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0x3r View Post
AVOID DCT!!! It's not proven platform and it's been problematic.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yea...that was actually hilarious.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #29
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Thanks for all the comments, guess a bit of browsing would have found my answer.

Does DCT account for most of the owner complaints on these cars, are they pretty reliable in 5spd manual form?

The DCT does count for a lot of the complaints. But I will be the voice in the wilderness and say I like it a lot. I have two SEL focus and have not had problems with either. Here is my disclaimer.... while I say I have not had problems with them, I can say there are quirks. It is computer controlled. There is just no way a computer can account for all the variables that arise with shifting patterns and other conditions. When driving Manual, we automatically adjust our actions to the performance of the car and think nothing of it. So any odd behavior is just chalked off as a aberration or our misjudgment. Only when it occurs frequently do we think it could be the transmission. with the DCT, the computer doesn't know enough to avoid these odd occurances and will act strange and cause noises and poor performance and in the worse cases cause actual problems with the hardware. I think most complaints are from being too sensitive to the odd times it behaves poorly and being hyper aware of it, where the same thing in a manual would be ignored as driver error. Can it stutter at slow speed? yes, like any manual does if the clutch is engaged poorly. Can it over heat? yes, like any manual with bad clutch engagement will. Some people are very bad manual drivers and will burn out clutches fast, others are very good and can make them last well beyond their normal service life. It all depends. My cars DCT has acted strange at times, most issues are brief and are due to conditions that the computer can not account for. I usually just shift to 'S' mode drive a bit and go back to 'D', problem solved. If I were to have those issues with a manual, I'd change gears and use the clutch differently as needed. I am far more capable of making minute adjustments to conditions than the computer in some circumstances but by and large it does a fine job of shifting and choosing gears if I drive with some common sense and treat it as I would a manual. I doubt many people know how to do this and expect the DCT to act like any other auto and slush out the odd moments. (my older cars with auto ALL had odd moments in certain conditions, I just accepted that as normal) So I don't think it is a bad or unproven or flawed design, it is just a different concept we are not used to. And like ANY transmission, auto or manual there are normal and abnormal conditions that effect them differently and plenty of service issues with them. For those who have had real problems with the DCT, I am not saying your issues don't exist, just that they are not the norm nor are they endemic, but mostly we hear of a problem and when we feel our car do something similar we jump up and say oh no! mine is doing it too when I suspect it was only a hint of what others have felt and not at all something to worry about. HAving bored you all with this, if you are happy with a manual car, or think you would not put up with a trans that does things a bit differently than a torque converter auto then get the manual, you'll be happy. I am happy with my DCT and will be happy to keep it for a long time. The Focus is a great car, probably the best one I have ever owned.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #30
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
I will admit I have the DCT and I have not had any major issues, but there are tons of people who have major problems with it.

One of the biggest being leaking seals, which require the clutches to be replaced, along with hard shuddering and grinding noises.

The only "issue" I have, which ford says is normal, is light shuddering when accelerating from a stop or creeping slowly in traffic.

Other people have reported their DCT's overheating with the car telling them via warning message to pull over and let the car sit for a few minutes.

You would seriously be an idiot if you decide to go with the DCT if you read these forums thoroughly.
You would think that Ford knows about the problem with the seal and replaced it (with a better one) a long time ago.

If not, you would seriously be an idiot to consider any Focus.

By the same token one could argue that you would seriously be an idiot to buy a Mustang GT with the (MT82) manual transmission.

Bookmarks & Social Networks