Thermostat Housing - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Rotation
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109333
What I Drive: 02 Red Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Rotation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thermostat Housing

Hey I was wondering if the "Check Engine" light can come on from a cracked Thermostat or Thermostat Housing? I've been having a few people telling me that there might be something wrong with my Thermostat Housing but I'd like to make sure before I purchase the part? If the Check Engine light can come on from it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
zpellicone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105007
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 zpellicone Good Standing Member
No it won't come on if it is cracked. You can tell if it is leaking by looking underneath it on top of the transmisson bell housing. If you see sludge there it is probably leaking. A very common issue with zetecs
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
johnwbr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83135
What I Drive: 2005 Gold se wagon

FF Reputation: 1 johnwbr Good Standing Member
If you have a ztech engine, the thermostat housing is a high failure rate part. If it is cracked, it will leak coolant which should be pretty obvious. I have never had one that set the cel light when leaking. Not sure that any of this applies to the SPI engine if that is what you have.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
150mphzetec
Focus Addict

Fan#: 77175
What I Drive: 00 yellow zetec

FF Reputation: 2 150mphzetec Good Standing Member
do you have any idea what code(s) is(are) present on your car? This will be a better indicator if the thermostat housing is the cause
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
don627
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56863
What I Drive: 2007 infra-red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 don627 Good Standing Member
I would go to an auto parts store and get the code read before you spend money you don't have to. I replaced my housing last summer and it was very easy.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

Points 2,489, Level 30
Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
CEL is probably not affliliated with the thermostat housing, you should be able to use the odometer test mode to find out what trouble code is present.

Last edited by 6SPD_soul; 02-19-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Rotation
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpellicone View Post
No it won't come on if it is cracked. You can tell if it is leaking by looking underneath it on top of the transmisson bell housing. If you see sludge there it is probably leaking. A very common issue with zetecs
Like when I look at the tranny after everytime I drive it there's always like a splatter of coolant on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwbr View Post
If you have a ztech engine, the thermostat housing is a high failure rate part. If it is cracked, it will leak coolant which should be pretty obvious. I have never had one that set the cel light when leaking. Not sure that any of this applies to the SPI engine if that is what you have.
I have a Zetec engine, and the coolant doesn't seem to leak it like flushes out everything all at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150mphzetec View Post
do you have any idea what code(s) is(are) present on your car? This will be a better indicator if the thermostat housing is the cause
I have no idea cause I can't get to an auto parts store since it can't make it down the block without over heating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by don627 View Post
I would go to an auto parts store and get the code read before you spend money you don't have to. I replaced my housing last summer and it was very easy.
I know how to replace the housing but, I can't get to an auto part's store cause the car can barely make it down the block without over heating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
CEL is probably not affliliated with the thermostat housing, you should be able to use the odometer test mode to find out what trouble code is present.
How do I do that?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,085, Level 34
Points: 3,085, Level: 34 Points: 3,085, Level: 34 Points: 3,085, Level: 34
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
There is no code that directly says the housing is broken. Rather, the code shows the effects of it but same code can be for fifty other things wrong too. If you are smart enough to change the housing you already have the skills to see if housing is the problem on your own. Other than that, no one here can positively tell you yes or no, up to you pal..................
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Rotation
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
There is no code that directly says the housing is broken. Rather, the code shows the effects of it but same code can be for fifty other things wrong too. If you are smart enough to change the housing you already have the skills to see if housing is the problem on your own. Other than that, no one here can positively tell you yes or no, up to you pal..................
Alright man thanks I found out that the housing is fine there was a huge rip ina tube causing my coolant to leak... Can that cause a Check Engine light to come on perhaps?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

Points 2,489, Level 30
Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
This is how the odometer test mode works, it can tell you few useful things like current charging system voltage, coolant temp, and what trouble codes are present. With the ignition in the off position, push and hold the trip odometer reset button, and then either start the car or just turn it to the accesories/run position. Keep holding the odomoter reset button and after 2-3seconds the trip odometer should display TEST, and you can let off the button. The instrument cluster will do a gauge sweep and then you can push the button to scroll through all the different stuff, most of it's incomprehensible and you can ignore it. The DTC display is within the first 10 things you scroll through, take note of the number and look it up online (or tell us here) and it should be pretty apparent whether the CEL is related to your coolant leak, especially if it just came on when the coolant leak started.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.