2.0 Duratec Clutch Torques - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2.0 Duratec Clutch Torques

Does anybody have the bolt torques for the flywheel to crank, pressure plate to flywheel and the clutch housing to block?

Also I need torque specs for the bolts that hold the clutch slave cylinder to the clutch housing/trans case.

Thanks a bunch!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,399, Level 98
Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Trans to engine: 35 ft-lbs
Trans mount bracket bolts: 59 ft-lbs
Trans mount nuts: 35 ft-lbs
Trans mount center bolt: 98 ft-lbs

Slave cylinder bolts: 89 in-lbs.
Pressure plate to flywheel bolts: 21 ft-lbs (I suggest tightening these in 2 steps and across from each other)
Flywheel bolts: Procedure- Tighten bolts across from each other like you would wheel lug nuts.
Step 1: 37 ft-lbs
Step 2: 50 ft-lbs
Step 3: 83 ft-lbs

Flywheel to engine bolts MUST be replaced when the flywheel is removed. Failure to do so will come back to get you. Ask around, it's happened to several people on here.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the info-exactly what I needed. I was warned about the bolts on the flywheel, they are not cheap but I only want to do this job once so will bite the bullet on cost.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,399, Level 98
Level Up 5% Completed
Forum Activity 19%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Did you get a new DMF or an aftermarket flywheel?

Quote:
Old 02-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Did you get a new DMF or an aftermarket flywheel?
I bought and engine with about 12k on it and it came with clutch and flywheel. Unfortunately the former owner had taken the flywheel off for storage.

I have 160K on my current production clutch so I though I would stick with that. After lifting the production flywheel I can see why everybody is so anxious to get rid of it. I couldn't beat the deal I got on this engine though.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,399, Level 98
Level Up 5% Completed
Forum Activity 19%
Yeah, well the DMFs wear out with the clutch- that's the biggest problem with them. If you go back with a DMF the advantages are longer clutch life, smoother engagement, and easier low rpm engagement. The disadvantages you already know.

Exedy makes a 13lb steel replacement, but I have read that you want their clutch behind it for some reason. I have also read that Exedy will modify the flywheel for you to fit whatever clutch you want. No matter what you do, a clutch is expensive for a Duratec engine. I'm not sure if I will go for a solid steel replacement, aluminum (8lbs), or a factory DMF. That will depend on whether or not I change my engine when I change my clutch. Hopefully the clutch I have will last long enough for me to get the money up for a performance build engine at the same time. I'm not sure about all that either- it seems to me that lightweight flywheels and high spring rate clutches end up with shorter clutch life. It could be the drivers too, or that you just want to drive it like that because you can.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Yeah, well the DMFs wear out with the clutch- that's the biggest problem with them. If you go back with a DMF the advantages are longer clutch life, smoother engagement, and easier low rpm engagement. The disadvantages you already know.

Exedy makes a 13lb steel replacement, but I have read that you want their clutch behind it for some reason. I have also read that Exedy will modify the flywheel for you to fit whatever clutch you want. No matter what you do, a clutch is expensive for a Duratec engine. I'm not sure if I will go for a solid steel replacement, aluminum (8lbs), or a factory DMF. That will depend on whether or not I change my engine when I change my clutch. Hopefully the clutch I have will last long enough for me to get the money up for a performance build engine at the same time. I'm not sure about all that either- it seems to me that lightweight flywheels and high spring rate clutches end up with shorter clutch life. It could be the drivers too, or that you just want to drive it like that because you can.
A friend that worked in Focus development said that even the NVH guys said the dual phase really wasn't necessary. If your going to use poly engine mounts with a light FW it might be pretty objectionable.

Actually my car performs pretty well with the DP. I have a FS Werk CAI and will next add a tube header and 2 1/4 exhaust system. I drive this thing about 60 miles a day so I need reliability.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.