What a difference changing transmission fluid makes!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
smurf91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102429
What I Drive: 00 silver focus

FF Reputation: 1 smurf91 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What a difference changing transmission fluid makes!!

I got my 00 se auto trans ztec equipped focus a few months back. It only has 114,000 on it. It has had issues shifting from the days I got it. very lethargic taking off like it wasn't shifting to first gear when I stopped and wash taking off in second. Just all around sloppy shifting accompanied by terrible mpg! I went and got fresh fluid and filter today, changed it all out, WOW!!!!! What a difference, its like driving a new car. My old fluid looked and smelled good but I had a feeling it was original fluid. Anyway sorry this is so sloppy and all . I worked a double and messed with my truck and car all day. Lol. just wanted to put this out there. If you're having slightly sloppy shifting, try changing the fluid first. especially if you're not sure when it was last changed. It was cheap and easy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Points 5,999, Level 50
Points: 5,999, Level: 50 Points: 5,999, Level: 50 Points: 5,999, Level: 50
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
It does make a huge difference on 80 000 mile old or so fluid. Even in a manual trans
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
Eduktion
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105621
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Eduktion Good Standing Member
but i heard that changing it the trans fluid after high mileage isnt worth doing??? my car is doing this so any ones advice on wit would be a mega help!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

Points 1,462, Level 21
Points: 1,462, Level: 21 Points: 1,462, Level: 21 Points: 1,462, Level: 21
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduktion View Post
but i heard that changing it the trans fluid after high mileage isnt worth doing??? my car is doing this so any ones advice on wit would be a mega help!
That used to be true on old, old cars - the theory was the detergents in the newer fluid would cause the break-in process all over again, causing more wear, and the varnish would break off and get stuck in the shift valves. This was when automotive technology was primitive (by today's standards), and vehicles headed to the junk yard much sooner.

If you want your transmission to last, leaving dirty, broken-down fluid in there will not help you one bit. Flush and fill it, all of it, and your car will love you for it.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #5
Eduktion
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

thats good to hear, even on my 13 year old car???? and something funny happened to me today if u can help me out scott, i place my auto on reverse and the damn thing didnt want to go!, i had to put my foot down rev it up and then it took off! first time this happened to me it was very lightly this is the second time it happened getting worried, since trans isnt all that cheap of a fix!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 AM   #6
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,183, Level 34
Points: 3,183, Level: 34 Points: 3,183, Level: 34 Points: 3,183, Level: 34
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 50%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Here we go again, I smell a 'I changed new fluid for very old and the new fluid tore up my transmission!' post coming shortly.

Some people will never get it............and the car could care less about whether they have the funds to fix it.

The guy STILL hesitant about doing it, even though now he's quaking over damage he's already done. Well you've gone and done it now, the trans is on it's way out, no thanks to the maintenance you did there...........

Wanting a transmission to last and then not lifting a finger to help that is quite frankly defective thinking. I really mean no offense but it's gotta be called what it is. There are others who think same thing and they need to see this, it may save them some big money.

If one changes fluid and experiences that type of performance change then he went WAY too far, and does not know what proper fluid looks or smells like. Normal fluid changes on any car I've ever done are transparent and the only way you can pretty much tell is that the gears bump in a bit faster and firmer when you put it in gear. The shifts should be about the same and there should be no night to day difference. I have never experienced that fantastic result in all the automatic transmissions I've ever worked on. You don't want to know how many that is.................
Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
DarwinSays
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35941
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Silver / EAP / CWP

Points 1,382, Level 20
Points: 1,382, Level: 20 Points: 1,382, Level: 20 Points: 1,382, Level: 20
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 DarwinSays Good Standing Member
ahh, amc is showing his age, hehe.

It is true though, that even some newer-ish vehicles are still susceptible to that kind of problem. A buddy of mine had a late 90's Blazer that went about 60k on original tans fluid, and when he finally changed it, the trans had to warm up before it would lock into overdrive.

I've always kept fresh royal purple trans fluid in my getrag 6spd, and I can always tell when the fluid is starting to break down by how it shifts. I usually end up changing it every 1-2 years, depending on how much it gets driven. Well worth the cost imo!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

Points 7,878, Level 59
Points: 7,878, Level: 59 Points: 7,878, Level: 59 Points: 7,878, Level: 59
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
You should be doing it once a year if you drive a lot. Fluid changes are hella-cheaper than component replacement. AMC has a good point... coming from a member of the automotive industry: you can't ignore that facet of ownership. Everything will break down eventually, so you gotta read the maintenance schedule and actually follow it!

It happens regularly enough: car comes in with shifting-woes, gets a loooong overdue flush and DOES start acting different. It was too late (like differential whine; if you're starting to hear it, it's already funked-up) beforehand, but the customers act/say the dealer/shop/mfg is out to get their money!

The car cost thousands upon thousands to buy; what makes people think any one part of it is going to be cheap?!?! The techs and mechanics don't put those miles on it...

Pick up a case of fluid with your tax money, swap it out every year or so in the driveway... save your trans!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
Eduktion
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Here we go again, I smell a 'I changed new fluid for very old and the new fluid tore up my transmission!' post coming shortly.

Some people will never get it............and the car could care less about whether they have the funds to fix it.

The guy STILL hesitant about doing it, even though now he's quaking over damage he's already done. Well you've gone and done it now, the trans is on it's way out, no thanks to the maintenance you did there...........

Wanting a transmission to last and then not lifting a finger to help that is quite frankly defective thinking. I really mean no offense but it's gotta be called what it is. There are others who think same thing and they need to see this, it may save them some big money.

If one changes fluid and experiences that type of performance change then he went WAY too far, and does not know what proper fluid looks or smells like. Normal fluid changes on any car I've ever done are transparent and the only way you can pretty much tell is that the gears bump in a bit faster and firmer when you put it in gear. The shifts should be about the same and there should be no night to day difference. I have never experienced that fantastic result in all the automatic transmissions I've ever worked on. You don't want to know how many that is.................

Keep them knickers on! I bought the car a few months back, This is my first car im still learning...
Old 03-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
rawrfish
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109179
What I Drive: 2001 malibu blue ZX3

Points 440, Level 8
Points: 440, Level: 8 Points: 440, Level: 8 Points: 440, Level: 8
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 rawrfish Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduktion View Post
thats good to hear, even on my 13 year old car???? and something funny happened to me today if u can help me out scott, i place my auto on reverse and the damn thing didnt want to go!, i had to put my foot down rev it up and then it took off! first time this happened to me it was very lightly this is the second time it happened getting worried, since trans isnt all that cheap of a fix!
i had that problem too, about 3 days before i had to replace my entire trans :(

about an hour after it did it CEL light popped up on my dash. took it to autozone and they said it was a transmission range sensor. 2 days later and i needed a new tranny. mine was hesitating to go out of second and into third as well too though.

hopefully yours isnt as bad as mine though

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.