GP's Silver Sleeper - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Fan#: 45311
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
You will get the greasy build up on the throttle body because of the PCV system. Which hose is split? The PCV valve is behind the intake manifold which is why it costs so much to replace it. The PCV valve is very simple with not a lot to go wrong. Mine even held up to boost before I removed the system completely.

The hose that goes to the valve cover carries already metered air into the top of the motor and the air rejoins in the intake manifold so if your venting already metered air that could be playing into your bad mileage.

I would recommend the plugs (which you've done) and a fuel filter change. I have never got less than ~25 mpg since I started driving my first '05 Focus back in 2007. My ST even got over 30 mpg highway with the turbo on it.
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 7,624, Level 58
Points: 7,624, Level: 58 Points: 7,624, Level: 58 Points: 7,624, Level: 58
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
I think my low has been around 23-24mpg...that would be in the dead of winter, 100% city driving getting stuck in traffic and playing in the snow.

How are your tires; do they look like they are wearing evenly, properly inflated and a good alignment? That can hurt mpg's a little bit as well. Something you can look at but i doubt it would be the main reason you are seeing such sub-par mpg's.

You need to run several tanks of gas and then see about getting a good baseline for mpgs.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
GreenPanther
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108529
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4, 2007 Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 GreenPanther Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
I think my low has been around 23-24mpg...that would be in the dead of winter, 100% city driving getting stuck in traffic and playing in the snow.

How are your tires; do they look like they are wearing evenly, properly inflated and a good alignment? That can hurt mpg's a little bit as well. Something you can look at but i doubt it would be the main reason you are seeing such sub-par mpg's.

You need to run several tanks of gas and then see about getting a good baseline for mpgs.
The tires are basically brand new. When I first got the car they were all around 30 psi, now I have them all at 42 psi I believe (the tires say 44psi max).
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
GreenPanther
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrove998 View Post
You will get the greasy build up on the throttle body because of the PCV system. Which hose is split? The PCV valve is behind the intake manifold which is why it costs so much to replace it. The PCV valve is very simple with not a lot to go wrong. Mine even held up to boost before I removed the system completely.

The hose that goes to the valve cover carries already metered air into the top of the motor and the air rejoins in the intake manifold so if your venting already metered air that could be playing into your bad mileage.

I would recommend the plugs (which you've done) and a fuel filter change. I have never got less than ~25 mpg since I started driving my first '05 Focus back in 2007. My ST even got over 30 mpg highway with the turbo on it.
The hose I noticed can be viewed through the opening through the intake manifold on the right side, behind the manifold. It connects to a black plastic piece at a 90* angle from the hose. I believe that is the PCV valve I am looking at. The hose appears to be completely collapsed and is split open like a hot dog on the top.

Is there a way to replace just the hose without removing everything else to get down in there? I also need to find a place to order the parts I need, because there is no way I am paying almost $500 to have someone else do the job.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Fan#: 45311
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPanther View Post
The hose I noticed can be viewed through the opening through the intake manifold on the right side, behind the manifold. It connects to a black plastic piece at a 90* angle from the hose. I believe that is the PCV valve I am looking at. The hose appears to be completely collapsed and is split open like a hot dog on the top.

Is there a way to replace just the hose without removing everything else to get down in there? I also need to find a place to order the parts I need, because there is no way I am paying almost $500 to have someone else do the job.
You are correct, that is the PCV valve. If it is split your loosing already metered air after the MAF which could be playing into your bad gas mileage.

You have to remove the intake manifold to do any work on the valve or hose. I've done it twice by myself in less than 4 hours.

Tousely Ford Parts is the place to get OEM parts.
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
GreenPanther
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Another weekend of wrenching has started. haha
I decided to just buy the parts from the Ford dealer and swap the PCV hose and valve myself.

I just got the intake off.

I can see now why the inside of my throttle body looked the way it did. The last pic is all the garbage that drained out after I sprayed around the openings with some carb cleaner to loosen the gunk. There was some oil inside it too.

I am going to work this evening on cleaning everything up real good and probably not finish putting it back together until tomorrow morning rather than rush it.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good way to get all this cleaned off before I reassemble?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
GreenPanther
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Some current pics from today. They are not great with the lighting and my cell phone, but I still had to snap a few now that things are warming up.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
GreenPanther
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
sam fisher
I hate dents!

Fan#: 103137
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

Points 4,176, Level 41
Points: 4,176, Level: 41 Points: 4,176, Level: 41 Points: 4,176, Level: 41
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
She looks almost exactly like mine!!! I like it :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-LG730

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.