Another Decat/Lambda post - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Obnoxiousgeek
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108456
What I Drive: 2001 Focus 1.6 auto

FF Reputation: 1 Obnoxiousgeek Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Another Decat/Lambda post

Hi,

I'm working on a Mk1 1.6 Auto and have an issue with an intermittent rich smell. I've checked for a fuel leak (it really is that rich) and monitored fuel consumption over the past month, I'm down to about 15mpg combined.

I want to de-cat as I've already had to replace the original cat with a less than ideal/budget part. I really don't want to by spitting unburnt fuel into the cat while I determine what the fault is, and yes, the car does need to be driven.

As I'm not doing this for performance and given the age of the car, I want to de-cat on a budget. So my question is this; if I go ahead with the de-cat what are my options in terms of the second (post-cat) lambda sensor? I know that I could buy a cheater or alternatively pay someone to switch it off altogether, but I really don't want to spend that much money.

As I understand it, the second lambda sensor only "sniffs" for cleaner gases to test that the cat is working properly? Therefore, it is not causing any adjustment to the fuel/air mixture etc. If I'm correct, then removing the sensor will not adversely affect the performance of the car...it will just pop a CEL light indicating the cat is faulty. I've read elsewhere that this code will eventually clear on it's own...but I'm not so sure.

Additionally, as I understand it removing the cat will cause a drop in back-pressure and that may reduce torque. Has anyone had their car on a dyno before and after a de-cat without a remap? I'd be interested to know whether there was a notable drop in torque after the de-cat.

That's all for now. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
The back pressure doesn't drop off that much so I wouldn't worry about that. You can run without your catalytic converter but it will bring the CEL on and the computer will run the car in a default setting so it doesn't cause any damage to the motor. I wouldn't recommend driving it like that for to long though. For best results, have a tuner turn it off for you or get the MIL eliminator. There is a thread on here some where on how you can make your own.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
HAILEYS_CRAZY_DADDY
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101782
What I Drive: 2002 Mandarin Copper ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 HAILEYS_CRAZY_DADDY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Could you please elaborate "MIL eliminator"

I just put a Focus Sport Header on my ZX3 witch eliminated the catalytic converter it did good for around 100 miles and then kicked a code there is no way I can afford a tune so I need to do this "MIL eliminator" so could you please elaborate on the "MIL eliminator".
Thanks HAILEYS_CRAZY_DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
The back pressure doesn't drop off that much so I wouldn't worry about that. You can run without your catalytic converter but it will bring the CEL on and the computer will run the car in a default setting so it doesn't cause any damage to the motor. I wouldn't recommend driving it like that for to long though. For best results, have a tuner turn it off for you or get the MIL eliminator. There is a thread on here some where on how you can make your own.

Bookmarks & Social Networks