'00 ZTS died while driving, wont crank, wont start... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
cshireman1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98627
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red SVT

Points 50, Level 1
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cshireman1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
'00 ZTS died while driving, wont crank, wont start...

While driving to the store, my 2000 focus zts 2.0l zetec dohc lost power and then just died. I got it to the side of the road and then put it in park before i turned the key back to the off position. Immediately after that i tried starting it back up. The thing wouldn't even crank over but the warning buzzer would continuously chime while the the key was in the RUN position. The outside lights would work but none of the cab accessories would (windows, radio,etc.)

While on the side of the road I noticed a small trail of smoke coming from between the steering wheel and the steering column. When i got home i checked the fuses but it was the weirdest thing.... some of them checked bad but the ones that did were all still good after a physical check! Fuses 31-36 and 46 checked bad (but were good) and a couple that I cant remember from the box under the hood also checked bad (but were also good.)

Previous to that i had had some trouble with the ignition. When below 40 degrees or so the key would not fully disengage. I could tell it was about to go bad because for a while I was able to remove the key from the ignition tumbler no matter what position the ignition switch was in. This was causing a small drain on the battery, enough that if i left the battery connected while the ignition switch was still engaged, it would be dead by the next time i tried to start it. None of the accessories in the cab would work while the ignition was like this but it was obviously draining somewhere. For this reason would just unhook the battery when it was cold outside. But now the thing wont even turn over.

Anyone care to "chime" in?

EDIT: nothing works (interior, exterior) except the buzzer when the key is in ON position or the door is open.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
sailor
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 12,038, Level 71
Points: 12,038, Level: 71 Points: 12,038, Level: 71 Points: 12,038, Level: 71
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
To throw out a "guess" here, based on your detailed history account, beyond the usual "check fuses, battery connections, battery cable ground connections etc.". I'd suggest that the key switch may have burned it's contacts due to the ignition lock cylinder problem not locating the switch in it's proper position while operating.

The ignition lock turns a multi-contact switch that controls most of the electrical functions of the vehicle. If not in it's proper position, poor contact at the switch could cause arcing & burning that would destroy the switch itself (smoke from steering column).

I'd take a small wager that replacing both the lock & that switch will be needed to get the car working properly again.

Luck!

Last edited by sailor; 02-15-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
cshireman1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98627
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red SVT

Points 50, Level 1
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cshireman1 Good Standing Member
thanks for the input. i really appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
sailor
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 12,038, Level 71
Points: 12,038, Level: 71 Points: 12,038, Level: 71 Points: 12,038, Level: 71
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
You're Welcome.

Issue COULD be elsewhere, but with the Ign. lock needing replacement anyways, it's a good place to start....

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.