HID on third gen focus, WITH DRL - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
klotche
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91834
What I Drive: 2012, Oxford white, Focus

FF Reputation: 3 klotche Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
I was just turned on to that by a friend of mine who did his retrofit a little while ago. I got in touch with Andrew, and am having a bit of back-and-forth with him discussing different options.

Canadian cars come standard with DRLs (law since '89) and usually it's the highbeams on reduced power. My car's in the shop at the moment 'cause I got rear-ended by an X5 two days ago, so I can't just walk out and check--is it the same for the Focus? If not, I may ask my buddy to see if he can rewire the fogs to just always be on whenever the car's running.
No it's not, Focus mk3 uses DRL on low beams, at a reduced voltage (9 volt)...
Easiest way for me was to add a relay harness + resistor... I did wire a switch on my relay harness that goes to the interior of my car, like this I can close ALL lights, and all power is sent to my resistors. When i open this switch, i get my low beams (HID). I never get bulb out error cause of resistor, and i can control my lights like I want (only low beams, only fogs, or both). It's my way of by-passing those DRL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
klotche
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad52693 View Post
Where did you purchase your HID kit from?
www.vvme.com

Very good quality though. I did install on my fog lights the ballasts I had on my cirrus 1997 4 years ago... still working pretty fine (3 years used)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
Graeme S
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101487
What I Drive: 2012 SBM Focus Titanium A/T

FF Reputation: 1 Graeme S Good Standing Member
Hmm. The car is used mostly by my mom, and so I'd rather not deal with a whole bunch of switches and fancy thingies all over. And I'd really rather she didn't get pulled over for not having DRLs on her car. Police where I am are kind of infamous for dinging people on things like that.

I don't suppose there's a way to wire up something else as a DRL instead without throwing a code? Perhaps one of those LED grills that's floating about on Ebay?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
twinbiker11
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108461
What I Drive: 2013 white Focus se, sport package

FF Reputation: 1 twinbiker11 Good Standing Member
Anyone tried putting in 55 watt ballast and seeing if they work without resistors or relays?
15.22 sec @ 94mph 1/4m time
Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Graeme S
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101487
What I Drive: 2012 SBM Focus Titanium A/T

FF Reputation: 1 Graeme S Good Standing Member
I just emailed TRS to ask about options for DRLs and see what they say. Worst comes to worst I think I'll pick up a set of those Ebay LED grills and wire them in and see what I can do to bypass the standard lowbeam DRLs.

Twinbiker, seems like you're in the neighborhood, what've you got running for your HIDs and your DRLs?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
klotche
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinbiker11 View Post
Anyone tried putting in 55 watt ballast and seeing if they work without resistors or relays?
In my idea, it wont work, cause you still need anyway a relay harness, which means your connected to only 1 OEM plug (driver side for me..), so you need 1 resistor to avoid bulb out error on passenger side...
Plus, DRL on those focus are giving only 9 volt, which isn't enough to run those ballast... so you can't imagine running them without that relay harness.

There is more fact that makes me think it won't work with DRL, but that much summarize it
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
Dalamar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94696
What I Drive: 2012 SE hatch Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 1 Dalamar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinbiker11 View Post
I ordered mine from https://www.ddmtuning.com/ I get my LED bulbs there too.

They said that because of the wiring in the car I had to use 55w for it to work properly and then said they couldn't sell me them if i lived in Cali, but since I live in Florida..... and you do have to pull the fuse for the DRL

Anywho when I bought them for my honda's they were plug and play, I've been happy with them in the past, great support and install guides on their site, they mostly do bmw stuff...

I also noticed they sell carbon fiber in fabric...I just haven't decided what to cover with it.... http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Carbon-Fiber-Fabric
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
klotche
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalamar View Post
I ordered mine from https://www.ddmtuning.com/ I get my LED bulbs there too.

They said that because of the wiring in the car I had to use 55w for it to work properly and then said they couldn't sell me them if i lived in Cali, but since I live in Florida..... and you do have to pull the fuse for the DRL

Anywho when I bought them for my honda's they were plug and play, I've been happy with them in the past, great support and install guides on their site, they mostly do bmw stuff...

I also noticed they sell carbon fiber in fabric...I just haven't decided what to cover with it.... http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Carbon-Fiber-Fabric
Good luck in finding that fuse ! : there isn't any !!
to turn off those DRL, you have to go to the dealer, and ask them to turn them off with their OBD2..
You live in florida... shouldn't be a problem.... but for us in Canada, DRL are an obligation by the law, none of the dealer I contacted wanted to turn them off for me .. unfortunatly...
But there is a way!, that's why i got mine working :)
Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
Sean05
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62491
What I Drive: 13' ST2

FF Reputation: 5 Sean05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
lol do everyone a favor and retrofit them..
Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Fan#: 110359
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 dbsimms63 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by apaolucci View Post
this is what im going to use for conversion ...

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227
Nice looking system, saw a picture of a MK III focus assembly with the kit on their site, looks really nice.

Bookmarks & Social Networks