Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Turbocharger for 2003 Focus SVT

11K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 ·
I was hoping someone could help me select a turbocharger (kit) for my 2003 Focus SVT.

The sky is definitely not the limit for the cost of the project and I would like to do some, if not all of the installation. Is tuning possible for me to do without a dyno or is it best to get a shop to do?

Brief background:
The car is all stock, 9000 KM, it is my everyday driver and I am looking for around 240 WHP on pump gas.

I was looking into Garrett's GT series turbo's but need help selecting components to make a complete kit.

Any information and recommendations is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
A

[???:)]

#8 ·
I am thinking about doing the installation myself or have a local shop do the install....Cannot see myself doing the drive to NC - actaully just came back from there and I wish I would have stopped in, oh well.
The cost of the kit is huge so I want to do some comparisons other kits available and see what I can or cannot do wrt installations to save some bucks!

#9 ·
If you don't have alot of money then don't go turbo grab a Vortech Supercharger you will have alot of horsepower just not as much torque as a turbo

#13 ·
The Vortec SC is not much less, or perhaps more, than a turbo kit....heck when you are spending that much a little extra is not that big of a deal when you get what you want.....

The real question I want to ask is who has a turbocharger and what do they have installed? I am looking to put a turbo in my car but I need some help from some experienced ppl who have done it already. Com'on you turbo nutz out there give me the low down!

#14 ·
Reliability IMHO is mainly in the tune, if you want to do forced induction right you will install it and then have it tuned on the dyno with air fuel readings. Once you tune it for optimal power then you should back off the settings (boost, timing, fuel perhaps) some for saftey if your going to drive it day to day. Especially if you live in a part of the country where the weather changes dramatically between the seasons, a perfect and safe tune on a 100 degree day might not be safe for when its 40 degree's outside and the air is more dense. If you can get a chip with multiple tunes that is the best option, that way you can tune it for race gas, regular gas, or whatever and have that ready at the flip of a switch.

Also all types of forced induction are somewhat harder on the engine, but when properly tuned it should be minimal overall, unless of course your going to run it WOT every time you get in it. If your going to do that, then you should build it like your planning on rallying with it :)

#16 ·
a properly tuned turbo car should last 90% of its lifetime, according to Tom

id say choose between Vortech and Tom, Vortech is a cenrtif. blower SC, makes good power, each has its pros and cons im sure

#17 ·
do not get a turbo KIT. notice i didnt say dont turbo i said dont buy turbo KITS! If i had the $$$ my focus svt would be moded like crazy but i have to save up. Ask anyone that really knows about turbo's it is better to go to garrett and find the right turbo for your car because garrett makes the best turbo's period! after you find the turbo you want go and find the best intercooler for your car and all the pipes and so on and so forth. Go to the best places and build your own custom turbo kit, trust me you most likely spend less money, it will be one of a kind, and also you will get more hp, trq than if you buy some kit. Ask anyone who wants to Turbo, KITS are for lazy people that just want to have a turbo in their car. Do some research and build your own custom turbo trust me it will be well worth it.

#18 ·
This is full of fail period.

Garrett isn't the best since now there turbos are made in china.
A turbo kit is for someone who doesn't know what is all needed for a turbo kit, but if you want to think about laziness than when going tubular manifold, will be done by a shop. Most people do not know how to build a manifold.

And if you want to say go for the best of the best parts, you will be spending over $4k then. That doesn't even include clutch, fuel system, and tunes.

#22 ·
Either Tom ( I have ran his kit, on his tune) of if you wait a little bit, ther is a guy on here AKA (turbo turtle) that will be making kits. Both are great guys, and you would be happy with either one.

#23 ·
i may actually be working with tom on his kit as well

Tim

just noticed this thread is old as hell lmao. its been on this forum longer than i have haha

#24 ·
Yea I just noticed that too lol. Wonder how it got started back. Lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.