2013 Transmission Grinding - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #21
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

Points 127, Level 2
Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermax View Post
I little bit of a clutch coupling noise its normal specially after long drives. Even a bit of shudder after long time in heavy traffic is normal. I've driven more than 10 focus (moslty 2012s and 2 or 3 2013s)mostly rentals and they all behave the same. Enjoy your car don't let what you read here bother you.
Grinding noises are NOT normal at all regardless of what some may suggest as above. A shift "clic" may be normal but grinding is not. My 2012 Ti transmission began grinding shortly after I bought it and grew steadily worse until I took it in at about 13k KM. The dealer replaced the clutch assembly which was reported by the technician to be "WORN OUT" (my driving is standard light city). I've had no grinding issues since. My experience is similar to many many others on this board and the ongoing comments made on this board regarding this issue clearly indicate the the grinding is due to a inadequate clutch assembly installed in these vehicles. My only surprise here is that I thought the clutch assemblies in 2013s had been improved but maybe not. Ford is clearly aware of this problem but has decided not extend warranties to protect it's customers from it. Hopefully they will have a change of heart on this. In the mean time: grinding noises = insist on a clutch replacement under warranty from your dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #22
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Grinding noises are NOT normal at all regardless of what some may suggest as above. A shift "clic" may be normal but grinding is not. My 2012 Ti transmission began grinding shortly after I bought it and grew steadily worse until I took it in at about 13k KM. The dealer replaced the clutch assembly which was reported by the technician to be "WORN OUT" (my driving is standard light city). I've had no grinding issues since. My experience is similar to many many others on this board and the ongoing comments made on this board regarding this issue clearly indicate the the grinding is due to a inadequate clutch assembly installed in these vehicles. My only surprise here is that I thought the clutch assemblies in 2013s had been improved but maybe not. Ford is clearly aware of this problem but has decided not extend warranties to protect it's customers from it. Hopefully they will have a change of heart on this. In the mean time: grinding noises = insist on a clutch replacement under warranty from your dealer.
Do some research buddy and you will find out that most of those with replaced clutch still had the clutch noise after. Some noise normal after long drives.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #23
snow12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108999
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 1 snow12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Do some research buddy and you will find out that most of those with replaced clutch still had the clutch noise after. Some noise normal after long drives.
I think he was trying to say that the noise should not be a normal thing , not sure though

Mine does it on short drives and overheats.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #24
jpaul
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89908
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jpaul Good Standing Member
I have a 2012 focus Titanium and Im picking it up today. I have had several transmission issues. Mine was doing the same as yours is. Today they took it apart replaced cluthes and found several leaks inside transmission. I will let you know if its fixed after I have it home. When the car was new it had the front stuts replaced which was also a problem with these cars. My car has 15k miles on it. Its been in the shop more than its been at home.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Points 127, Level 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
I little bit of a clutch coupling noise its normal specially after long drives. Even a bit of shudder after long time in heavy traffic is normal. I've driven more than 10 focus (moslty 2012s and 2 or 3 2013s)mostly rentals and they all behave the same. Enjoy your car don't let what you read here bother you.
Quote:
Actually - I've been monitoring this forum to see if the problem persists after clutch replacements for others and I have not seen clear cases where it has been described to be recurring (I've asked this question in some posts). If there are cases of it please direct me (there are so many threads on this issue it's hard to keep track). Mine has been fine since replacement but understandably, I'm motivated to know if it can recur since if it does, I'll be in for another replacement under warranty as soon as I hear it grinding again.

I suggest "buddy", that you do some research as well to convince yourself that transmission grinding is never normal in any context and that all the people posting about the issue on this forum are not just being picky.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #26
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,770, Level 38
Points: 3,770, Level: 38 Points: 3,770, Level: 38 Points: 3,770, Level: 38
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
In the mean time: grinding noises = insist on a clutch replacement under warranty from your dealer.
No.

My car *rarely* makes the "grinding" noise (it's not grinding at all) but has done so since it was new. Other than that, I have no transmission/clutch related issues.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #27
trelaflip
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109743
What I Drive: 2013 Black Hatch Se

FF Reputation: 1 trelaflip Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by trelaflip View Post
Just an update. Took my car to the shop today and the verdict was that some seal on my transmission blew. The mechanic said he seen this happens few times on 2012 models but this is the first time he seen it on a 2013 They are sending the issue to Ford engineers and will let me know what needs to be done. They were not sure if they can do the same TSB they did on 2012 models. Until then I will be driving a rental.
Has anyone else heard about this seal issue. Just got a call back from my dealer and sounds like the tranny is pretty much toast. They are still waiting to hear back from the higher ups at Ford to see what the next step is.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #28
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Points 127, Level 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
No.

My car *rarely* makes the "grinding" noise (it's not grinding at all) but has done so since it was new. Other than that, I have no transmission/clutch related issues.
If yours does not have this issue, congratulations, you have a good one, however, for those hearing grinding from the transmission on shifts, it is NOT a harmless normal noise as you inferred earlier. The noise I experienced was the same as many many others have described on this board. When my tech replaced the clutch, he commented on the work order that the old one was "worn out" (this after only 12k km of light driving). I saw another post here indicating the replaced clutch was described by a tech as "shredded". To suggest this kind of noise is normal is ridiculous - it is the sound of your transmission parts wearing out at a highly accelerated rate.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
jpaul
Focus Enthusiast

Car is home and its FIXED!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
jpaul
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trelaflip View Post
Has anyone else heard about this seal issue. Just got a call back from my dealer and sounds like the tranny is pretty much toast. They are still waiting to hear back from the higher ups at Ford to see what the next step is.
Mine was fixed today new seal ,new clutches and they found leaks inside. that

is what the work order stated. seems to be running like a normal car now after 15k miles of poor performance.

Bookmarks & Social Networks