bad alternator causing rough idle ? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
beatmaniac1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90996
What I Drive: 2003 red svtf

FF Reputation: 2 beatmaniac1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
bad alternator causing rough idle ?

Hi everyone !
I have a bad alternator and/or voltage regulator that i've identified with the in-dash test mode ( voltage was under 12 v till 2500 rpm ). I'm also having a rough idle : motor shakes and listening to the exhaust gave me impression of an engine misfire (airflow isnt steady at the tail pipe like pof-pof-pof-pof... ). My question is : since voltage at idle is slightly under 11v , could this lead to an engine misfire ? Like if the coilpack would not have enough ''juice'' to make a good spark ?

Thanks
Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
stromberg2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57480
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 stromberg2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That's a great question! I've got rough idle as well.

Stromberg2
Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
LittleRedSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105384
What I Drive: Supercharged '02 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 LittleRedSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My alternator failed a diagnostic test and I also have rough idle... I cleaned by IAC valve, didn't do anything.

Help would be appreciated.
I like to go fast.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
bd8134
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105849
What I Drive: FST

FF Reputation: 1 bd8134 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you think you have a bad alternator you should either get it checked out for sure or replace it. Autozone or Advance Automotive do this for free. It is a more comprehensive test with it removed.
Yes low voltage can cause a bad idle and you may end up breaking other parts if you drive it like that.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
beatmaniac1
Focus Enthusiast

I checked the voltage with the in-dash test mode, which I believe is pretty reliable (is it ? ) . The lcd wouldnt display 12 v till I hit 3000 rpm and the battery is less than 6 months old so I figured the problem had to be the alt. I havent run the car since the problem appeared. Its gonna get repaired tomorrow morning probably so i'll know for sure. But thanks for the answers, i'll let you know if the alternator was guilty of the bad running of the car

thanks !
Ray
Old 02-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
beatmaniac1
Focus Enthusiast

So we changed the alternator today but we also found that the problem was a bad coilpack ( seems like they happened to both fail at the same time ), it's gonna get repaired tomorow so i'll finally have my car back and runing again ...But its going to cost a small fortune it sucks that I had to go to a garage ...
Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
SVTF 03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99859
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT EAP ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 SVTF 03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I did a test with 3 local well known auto part store chains with my alternator. Had it tested at the first store and it was good, then took it to another store of the same name and it failed. Then took it to the other 2 different chains and said it was good. Watched these noobs try and hook it up and I had to tell them how to do so and how to even mount it in the machine they had. I hate taking my stuff to people that are ignorant. Ended up doing my own test with a voltmeter and determined it was bad after all. The power post was shorted to the case. So the positive cable post on the alternator was acting as a ground. I actually ended up finding all of this out after overnighting a 230amp alt to go in my SVTF (I always am looking for the best bang for my buck). It worked for 2 minutes and died (covered under warranty). That is when I did all the testing. Now I'm not sure why the 230amp alt died. But I did notice on the all-in-one harness (Negative, Positive, and Starter Cable) that it has a 175amp inline fuse in the factory wiring. I have a brand new harness with the same rated fuse. My guess is the factory wiring can't handle the 230amp alternator or vise-versa. But that's just a guess. But the original bad alternator was definitely the culprit of my engine running issues.

I have yet to do a Big 3 upgrade. But from what I've read it would be a definite improvement. My car ended up dying on my way home from work one day with no real indication of any issues. I had replaced the coil and wires before all this happened, just as preventive maintenance and it just needed a tune-up.

You should have 13+ volts when the alternator is charging. Just put a voltmeter to the battery when the car is not running. You should see 11.5-12v depending on the battery and it's charge. Start the car. The voltmeter should show 13+ - 14.5v. If it's not charging, check the 3 prong connector. It's been said these go bad. Mine was in great shape. I remember talking with Tom (Focus-Power)(Turbo Tom) and he had mentioned the RPM in which the alternator can start charging can be changed IIRC.

Bookmarks & Social Networks