Another one of those "help me make my choice" threads xD - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Christ. Are you sure about that? It takes my car about 10 minutes to get to operating temperature at 0*F.

EDIT: But the first 5 minutes is stop-and-go city driving, so there is probably a lot of idling going on.
Completely, the first -20 weather I was worried how long it would take and like I said, about 5min. This is on the automatic setting at 20.5

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
JasDmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105501
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti Hatch Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 JasDmw Good Standing Member
Howdy; I live in Calgary as well; just moved here from Niagara region in Ontario. Sold a 2004 Focus back there as it was starting to rust a bit. Bought a new 2013 Titanium hatch in November. Have lived through the cold snaps you have recently and can tell you cold is not an issue, but then I have a garage (uninsulated and not heated). Mine has the remote start which I'd recommend. You can program the rear window heater to come on with the start, I believe. Seat heaters are a requirement, particularly with the leather seats. Did plug it in a couple of times, both at home and at work; couldn't really tell if it made a difference. My commute is all urban, but we have been out on the highway and this car is sooo much quieter than the previous version. Sister in law and some friends back east also bought new ones recently. All are happy with their putchase; my opinion, you can't go wrong. PM me if you want to talk more and would like a recommendation on a dealership; mine has taken very good care of me.

Although there have been a few -20 to -40 C days this year, the weather now is almost springlike. Yes it gets cold here, but we have those great chinooks and right now, there is virtually no snow on the ground. I'd recommend getting winter tires; bought mine when the deal included those. Mine has the handling package, but with the winter tires, can't really tell if the suspension and tire combo will be an issue regarding harsh ride. In general though, roads I driven so far are in pretty fair shape so it's not been an issue.

I woudl also recommend the DCT. Mine works flawlessly
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Christ. Are you sure about that? It takes my car about 10 minutes to get to operating temperature at 0*F.

EDIT: But the first 5 minutes is stop-and-go city driving, so there is probably a lot of idling going on.
I can back him up. had the car reading -28 at one point when I was driving up north, used the remote start to start up (started without any problems) left her running for 6-7 min and the heaters were already starting up and the seats were partially warm. The front defroster is a little slow, but the rear and heated mirrors get the job done quick.

In the winter, the car is a bit stiffer I find, it handles beautifully. I have the DCT with winter tires and have only gotten stuck a few times in the snow, and only because the snow was so high it was getting caught underneath the car. In terms of ice and snow the car handles beautifully. I have no problems getting good acceleration with the TC on, and only turn it off when the snow gets rediculous. For the winter, the only complaint I have is the rattling from the headliner (I have a 2012 SEL). Im partially fixing it by putting weather strips in the headliner where theres rattling, but it seems everytime I fix one rattle another area pops up.

If youre thinking about getting the focus i suggest getting the MFT with it, ive had a few glitches but nothing really major. Most of the small problems were fixed in the latest update (such as icons overlapping each other). The leather seats are very comfortable, and i love the sony sound system. Overall I'm loving the car, and as a winter car you can't really get any better (unless you go AWD). I suggest getting the remote start, it's probably the feature I use the most especially in the wintertime.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
Hey vaga, quick summary, get heated seats <1 mjns to make the toosh warm and that fights off alot of th e cold, the manual is nice, quick and peppy. Make winter driving nice for riding certain gears or realy slick starts. For the heat up the heater is fairly good, and for rough roads it handles quite well,i drove gravel for 2000 km and after 10 washs to get the dust out. Check out metro.ford ive been treated very well by them.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Vagabond142
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109819
What I Drive: 1994 Mazda 626

FF Reputation: 1 Vagabond142 Good Standing Member
I should mention that my build, as it stands, will have the SE 201A pack as well as the winter pack/block heater.

Is MFT really that good of a feature to have? I pretty much ignored it in my test drive, it didn't really seem to present much value apart from being a touch distracting. For nav I have a Garmin Nuvi I can transplant into the Focus, so Nav isn't high on my list. The 10 speaker pack sounds like a nice deal, but i've also read that a lot of people think it's overpriced and you can do better with a pick-your-own stereo system tied in to the stock head unit.

Any thoughts, Fanatics? :D
Old 02-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
MFT just makes the car look a lot nicer. Granted sometimes i wish i just had buttons to push (i.e. when i want to switch from radio to CD for example). If you drive alone a lot the voice command becomes very convinient when you have MFT. I think it makes the car look a lot nicer, function wise i like that it shows my ipod music and album art. It doesnt really add anything fuctionality wise (unless you get nav) but it just makes the car look more expensive sort of a neat toy to play with. Ive never used any of the video functions on it.

The 10 speakers i find is very nice, it beats the bose in the mazda 3 by a lot IMO. I'm sure you can build a better custom unit, but for something stock its very good, and the subwoofer looks pretty classy when its semi concealed in the back.

I tend to look at my car as something im going to spend a lot of time in, rather just something to take me from A to B. all the MFT and speakers and leather seats etc etc just makes the car a nicer place to be. From going A to B I'm pretty sure the stock SE model would still give you the same driving feel as a higher trim model (I can only speak for the SEL that I have).
Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
I beg to differ on the distraction factor with MFT. How much more distracting is it to try to find a radio station using a knob. With MFT, you can say "Radio", "99.1" and the system will change to that channel without you looking away from the road. How about "Sirius" "eighties music" and it will change the station to that particular channel.

The speaker in the car is awesome, I listen to house music and heavy metal (I know two extremes) and I love the bass and crystal clear sound I get. No rattles or distortion. If you are going to get a car, get the Titanium, if not the SEL is a very good choice, it gives you at least 6 speakers instead of 4 with the SE.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
Vagabond142
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109819
What I Drive: 1994 Mazda 626

FF Reputation: 1 Vagabond142 Good Standing Member
Well, my driving is to/from the train station and then on weekends I go out, do the grocery run, drive across the city (in Calgary, this is a nearly hour long ride) to visit my parents, pick up my comic books from my favorite store, etc.

I do like the ability with Sync to stream music from my phone. I don't really need the album art, but if the stock Sony system in the MFT pack is bangin', then maybe it's worth getting.

Priced out with the MFT and Sony 10 speaker system, it's $25.3k on the Ford.ca builder. Without the Sony pack/MFT, it's $23.9k. There are savings to be had and I can probably get a full stereo pack, installed by a tech I know in the driveway for ~$850 all in, including the steak bbq dinner for his work :D Also, does not Sync handle the voice commands anyways? So all MFT is there for is a bigger display, no matter what display system (small little 4 line LCD or MFT) is installed?

I will not be getting the leather seats, I slide around too much in them, as I do with any leather seating surface. I like the grippyness of the cloth seats :D

I also have an HTC Amaze 4G with unlimited (TRULY unlimited) data, so I would probably want to stream DI.FM or something through it, hence the phone connectivity being #1.

I will for sure be getting manual, so remote start is not available with that spec.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post
The speaker in the car is awesome, I listen to house music and heavy metal (I know two extremes) and I love the bass and crystal clear sound I get. No rattles or distortion. If you are going to get a car, get the Titanium, if not the SEL is a very good choice, it gives you at least 6 speakers instead of 4 with the SE.
No need to generalize. I have an SE with MFT, Sony 10 speaker stereo, and cushy leather.

There are tons of options within the model groups that can be upgraded to taste.
- Jody -
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
c5karl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105687
What I Drive: 2013 Hatchback SE, 5-speed, silver

FF Reputation: 1 c5karl Good Standing Member
I've only had my Focus for five months, so I can't report on clutch life for this particular car. But my previous car was also a Ford product with a standard tranny ('01 Cougar), and I didn't need a clutch until a bit past 190,000 mi. in that car.

The car shifts very nicely. Throws are positive and reasonably short. I haven't grinded gears once. Clutch is very light and forgiving. My only beef is an issue I have with all new cars: First and second are geared way too tall. I'm sure the car gets an extra 0.5 MPG because of this, but I'd prefer not to have to shift to first for a rolling start.

And in terms of keeping warm, the seat heaters are pretty amazing. I never thought I liked them until I had them in my own car. You'll be nice and toasty before the temp gauge needle even budges.

Bookmarks & Social Networks