Traction Control...HELP - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,841, Level 32
Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question - does traction control do anything?

I have some pretty big patches of ice in my alleyway and I'm pretty sure I could spin my tires all day on that ice. The traction control light flashes and I let off of the gas to get going - but I thought the point of traction control was to control the power and brakes to stop my wheels from spinning. Right?

I do have winter tires, but this is really just an issue when driving on a sheet of ice under both front tires while driving uphill. How long should it take before it kicks in?

EDIT: And I don't intend to salt my entire alley. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
liquidblue88
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109694
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black 5dr Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 liquidblue88 Good Standing Member
From what I have gathered the TCS simply stops your engine from revving up to higher RPMs. I got stuck in some ice/snow/slush and tried to give it some extra gas and upon doing so the RPMs didn't go any higher. I dont think this really helps a whole lot. I could be wrong but that is what I have experienced thus far.

Get out dat salt!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,841, Level 32
Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidblue88 View Post
From what I have gathered the TCS simply stops your engine from revving up to higher RPMs. I got stuck in some ice/snow/slush and tried to give it some extra gas and upon doing so the RPMs didn't go any higher. I dont think this really helps a whole lot. I could be wrong but that is what I have experienced thus far.

Get out dat salt!
That might be the best solution, haha. The manual says it controls the brakes and cuts engine power (paraphrased, obviously).
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
I also still have the stock tires (15,000 miles) but plan to get true winter tires next winter when the stock tires will be nearing replacement. The stock tires are not terrible but if the snow is deep enough or of just the right/wrong type the MK3 FF is a dog.

Maybe we should get some feedback on how the various winter tires handle the snow as I'd be in the market come next December.

So, I'll keep my stock rims (17's) and put winter tires on them next winter and then as the winter is coming to an end I'll likely order a new set of wheels (17's) with summer tires from Tirerack.

Brian
I'm using General winter tires, which i got at the ford dealership. Cost me 1200 with 16inch steel rims. They actually work a lot better then i thought. On my last car I had Michelin X-Ice but they were too expensive for me this time round. I would say the General's that I have now grip as well as the michelins, but the road noise is a little higher.

I live in canada and these tires got me through all the major snowstorms we've had this winter. I got stuck a few times last week (we had a major snow storm) but that was mainly because the snow was much higher then the car clearance. Id highly recommend them
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.