Anyone know how to remove DCT shifter knob? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
nerdrage
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100392
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 nerdrage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lightbulb Anyone know how to remove DCT shifter knob?

like the title says "Anyone know how to remove DCT shifter knob?"

reason being is i want to see how the shift up and down is done. If its like a circuit board and the up and down buttons hit it like a video game controller, it would be easy to connect wires and run the wires in the console around to the steering wheel and mount buttons.

could mount the buttons on the back of the steering wheel or a mount off the steering column cover. either using just a cheap radio shack button or try something more custom like

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 8 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'm not sure on that one. All the other buttons in the car I've looked at are momentary circuit board type.
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
awsimons
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100921
What I Drive: Sonic Blue 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 awsimons Good Standing Member
All you really need to do is get the plastic piece that the leather around the shifter goes into up and out of the way so you can see down into the shifter area. It is the part that the letters PRNDS(L) are attached to. The plastic is held down with clips on each corner, so you can just kind of pull it up and release each clip.

Once you've done that, there should be 3 wires coming down from the knob going into a connector. These wires are what connect to the +/- buttons. One of the three is a common that the other two make contact with when a button is pressed. You could wire into these three wires with any (momentary) switch you want and put them anywhere you want.

I have looked into this, but I have the non-SelectShift version with the hill assist button on the shifter. On my car, there are two wires coming down from the knob for that button.

Alan
Mods: Debadged, 30% LLumar CTX Tint, MS3 RMM, Steeda RSB
Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
nerdrage
Focus Enthusiast

Ill give that a shot. If they work may get these from hurst $48 just for the paddles and mount them on the steering column right behind the steering wheel.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
spiderpig
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107025
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 spiderpig Good Standing Member
I have to say I'm interested as well on this. Although the steering wheel is already pretty cluttered with the my ford touch stuff, but would be cool to see paddles or some switches with it.

Can we get some pictures of shifter removal? I guess the other issue would be running a wire all the way to the steering wheel component.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
awsimons
Focus Enthusiast

Nerdrage,
I'm not sure if you realize it or not, but the last item you showed a picture of does not have any electrical components to it. It looks to be to be a purely mechanical lever that activates buttons on a camaro that are already present.

I've looked into this quite a bit myself, but more on the side of adding SelectShift to my non-SelectShift vehicle. For me, I need to reprogram the TCM and possibly other modules. For vehicles that already have SelectShift, it really shouldn't be hard to extend wires from those buttons to wherever you want. The biggest issue is finding or fabricating paddle shift levers that look good. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of what I'm talking about.

Alan
Old 02-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
nerdrage
Focus Enthusiast

Hi. Yeah i know theres no electrical components on it. I was thinking a button or small pad could be added to wear the paddle touches after you pull on it.

I was thinking theres a small gap between the steering wheel and column and cutting out a flat sheet of metal to use as a base for the paddles or buttons. It would require removing the steering wheel and using flat head screws to secure it behind the wheel.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
awsimons
Focus Enthusiast

Sounds cool. I'm sure a lot of people around here would like to see what you do, including me!

Slightly off topic, I'm curious why no one has ever experimented with a foot-operated up/down shifter. I mean the clutch pedal is gone, why not put the left foot to use again?

Good luck!
Alan

Bookmarks & Social Networks