Option Racing exhaust headers - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Andrews-bad-SE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100389
What I Drive: 2003 Arizona Beige SE 4dr Zetec/ATX

FF Reputation: 3 Andrews-bad-SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have Option Racing flex-back exhaust on my sedan. I love it, it's made of great steel, and sounds really good. I don't know about the header. I originally had an FSwerks 4-to-1 on mine with my OR flex-back. It sounded angry lol. But now I have my factory mani/cat on it, and it sounds amazing. And it's 50-state legal still.

Best bet is to go with the SVT header conversion. But if you can't afford it, just throw a nice flex-back on it, it'll definitely sound cool, if not free up a half a pony somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #12
Stevick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102240
What I Drive: 2001 red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Stevick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I found the same header for 178 on another sight but still....hell i just want to have a good amount of hp from my exhaust what other header would give a good amount of hp and that i could still have the cat on other then the convertion kit ?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Andrews-bad-SE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100389
What I Drive: 2003 Arizona Beige SE 4dr Zetec/ATX

FF Reputation: 3 Andrews-bad-SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Other than a shorty (ramhorn) style header and a highflow or gutted cat with an o2 cheater, I really don't know. A 4-2-1 or 4 to 1 header as well as a cold air intake work best with a proper tune. Even without the tune though, every little bit helps.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
sgtsmasher
need new focus?!

Fan#: 65000
What I Drive: 01 cd silver 3 door ztec

FF Reputation: 2 sgtsmasher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
still have to tune it it when you change anything or the car is not going to run correctly. the ecu doesnt just learn add ons, you have to tell the car that those add ons are there, meaning you have to tune it.
Hatch Nation #72
Call Me BRANDO COMMANDO
Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #15
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

FF Reputation: 34 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevick View Post
what other header would give a good amount of hp and that i could still have the cat on other then the convertion kit ?
your only options for running a header with a cat are the SVT conversion, ramhorn header, and running a universal cat in or after the flex pipe.

the last option will probably do nothing at all to help pass inspection. it likely wont pass a sniffer test because the cat has to get up to a certain temperature before it works efficiently enough to do its job. this is why it is located so close to the engine in stock configuration. placing it in or after the flex pipe probably wont get it hot enough to work good. then on top of that you will have to have an o2 bung welded in after the cat and will have to make an o2 extension harness to run the down stream o2 sensor to the exhaust after the cat. and then you will probably still get a check engine light because the cat isnt working well enough because it isnt hot enough. which means you will probably end up running an o2 cheater in which case you may as well not have a cat at all anyway. and by the time you get through all of this you will have spent as much money as you would have to just bolt on the SVT conversion and be done and that would still only be good for perhaps half the power gained from a SVT conversion.

the ramhorn option is viable if you care more about just changing things for the sake of changing things than you car about modding for the sake of power. the ram horn is a bolt in job that will keep the stock cat and flex pipe. it really does look cool i think but it might be good for 2whp if even that much. they dont do anything at all.

so your only real option for a header that will actually gain power and will allow you to keep the cat is the SVT header conversion. if you find or figure out another cheaper option that makes as much power as the SVT conversion for as much or less please feel free to share. ive been at this for years and there has only been 1 header design to EVER outperform the SVT header that was going to be priced to compete with it. unfortunately that was a prototype ONLY and will unfortunately never be for sale...

sorry i know that isnt what you wanted to hear but those are your options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
homelessmonkey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98498
What I Drive: 2003 black zx3

FF Reputation: 2 homelessmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
for that price go with svt header,cat flex

Bookmarks & Social Networks