Hood alignment and body fit - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAZUP View Post
Is anyone else's hood 1/8 inch lower on passenger side than drivers side? It is specifically noticeable at the headlight, where edge of headlight is 1/8 inch higher than top of hood. On drivers side, hood lines up nice with headlight.

I also have an alignment issue with the passenger side doors. The top front corner of the rear door is not flush with front door, and sticks out slightly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNFocusFan View Post
My rear door stick out oddly, I never got around to bring it to the dealer. Its like the hinge is set oddly, it's not flush with the front door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
I have the rear tail light fitting problem as well just on the rear drivers side on the upper part of the tail light by the hatch door its actually indented the quarter panel by the light and pushed through the paint. I havnt brought it to the attention of ford yet but i will ant 8000 km
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfcastro View Post
I notice the exact same thing. Haven't had anything done to it. I have the titanium 5 door.
Hey folks!

For those of you who are having any alignment/fit issues, you may want to try the DIY advice your friends have provided below. If you're ready to visit the dealership, I'm happy to escalate your cases. Just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

For Canadian customers, please contact Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddavis View Post
The rubber stops at the front of the hood screw in and out for minor height adjustments. The hood shouldn't be too bad from the description. (In fact, it may just be DIY, though it might be nice for Ford to get the feedback that there are fit and alignment issues that they need to pay more attention to.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
All these are easy DIY fixes but, if you do want to do it yourself, take it to the dealer who will likely assign the job to the body shop.

I always adjust alignment and fit myself. I've been doing it on my old muscle cars for years so it is normal for me to be very critical of alignment, fit and finish on my newer cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
Mine was also way off when I bought it. Using the stops I was able to get it fairly close to perfect, but the stops on one side are maxed all of the way out now (a lot of threads exposed), and they don't seem very stable that in that position.

No ill effects yet, just not to my liking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
There should be threads around the sides of the post. If your hood is not level or sits too low, try adjusting the supports up by turning them counterclockwise.
Thanks for all of the great information, everyone!

As always, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. The fastest way to get my attention is to send a PM.

Have a great day!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

Points 12,515, Level 73
Points: 12,515, Level: 73 Points: 12,515, Level: 73 Points: 12,515, Level: 73
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
You twist the rubber post and it screws in or out to hold the hood straight.
Adjust it by turning it
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
sidepipe79
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104919
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch, Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 sidepipe79 Good Standing Member
Here are the pics i took at my lunch. Nothing to twist.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfcastro View Post
I notice the exact same thing. Haven't had anything done to it. I have the titanium 5 door.
Same here...mostly with doors that don't fit like they should. Might address it at some point...only noticable if you really look (but still, it shouldn't be that way).

Besides my MK1 Focus, all the other cars I've owned have had great fit and finish. I didn't realize you have to worry about that anymore....
Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
2012sel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84814
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 10 2012sel Great Standing Member
The back of my front passenger door is 3/16" lower then the front edge of the back passenger door. Works fine (well, it sort of clunks a little when closing ) and nobody else has noticed (or at least said anything ). I'm leaving it as is. Doesn't bother me enough to endure the PAIN a dealer visit would cause.
2000 F150 Sport 2000-2011 | 1988 Ranger XLT 4wd 1988 - 2000 | 1966 Mustang 1983 - 2008 | 1963 Ford Econoline Van 1979 - 1983
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

Points 653, Level 13
Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lddavis View Post
The rubber stops at the front of the hood screw in and out for minor height adjustments. The hood shouldn't be too bad from the description. (In fact, it may just be DIY, though it might be nice for Ford to get the feedback that there are fit and alignment issues that they need to pay more attention to.)
I had the passenger side of my hood higher too. Ten seconds of adjusting the rubber stops at the dealer took care of it.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
TuxedoSE5speed
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92566
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5 speed sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TuxedoSE5speed Good Standing Member
I've got all sorts of fit and finish issues with mine:

1) hood-to-headlight gap inconsistent - the hood actually sits on the headlight on one side (there's no gap at all).

2) trunk lid not centered - though in Ford's defense, the vast majority I've seen look like that so I blend in with everyone else.

3) rear passenger door sticks out where it meets the c-pillar window causing an unsightly gap. Also the glossy black trim panels between the passenger front and rear doors don't align at the top - looks sloppy.

4) forward top dash panel isn't flush with the drivers-side a-pillar cover - there's a hole there.

On the plus side - no leaks anywhere. Which is why I don't really want my dealer messing with the trunk or the rear passenger door alignment.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #18
scada
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107778
What I Drive: 2013, Silver, Focus S

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 scada Good Standing Member
My trunk is off. Off you run your fingers along the bottom of the trunk between the trunk and the bumper the gap changes as you go along. Also on the taillight where the bumper comes in is sticking out a bit.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.