HELP: My '06 started turning itself off while driving - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: What do you think is the cause?
Time to get a new ECU/custom tune! 0 0%
Swap out the fuel pump for sure! 0 0%
Faulty cam sensor? 0 0%
Alternator must be going out! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
Lumadar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10555
What I Drive: 2006 Focus ZX3 SE Infra Red

FF Reputation: 2 Lumadar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation HELP: My '06 started turning itself off while driving

My car is: 2006 2.0 manual. Stock ECU, added DIY intake (been on for 5+ years, but was recently professionally cleaned) and JUST added SVT/Borla exhaust. Engine stock otherwise.

WHAT HAPPENED:
When it rains it pours, I guess. I just took my car in to have my power steering pump replaced, SVT Borla Ford Racing exhaust installed, both front struts swapped and a 4-wheel alignment...and 5 days later while driving to work my car turned off while accelerating in 3rd gear around 45 mph.

The gauges and headlights stayed on, but 100% engine power off. Car started right back up and finished the .5 mile to work. This happened after about 23 miles of mostly highway driving.

Same day, I left work and drove about 1 mile and while sitting in neutral at a light it did it again. Started back up and drove home fine. Drove twice over the weekend no problem, but today when I went to go home from work it stalled out while downshifting 3-2 omw up to a light.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED: I had the full electrical system tested at NAPA and it came back fine. I have done this before as I have always had a problem since the car was brand new in 2006 where it intermittently will not turnover on my first attempt, but always does on the second try.

No one has ever been able to find a problem.

POSSIBLE PROBLEMS?
I have had it suggested that it could be the alternator, the ECU or possibly the fuel pump. I THINK when the engine cuts out the rpms drop to zero fairly rapidly, but I can't be positive as I am usually struggling to maintain control and get it restarted.

Anyone ever come across this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Is the check engine light on? When Napa did the electrical test, did they also check the alternator?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,851, Level 74
Points: 12,851, Level: 74 Points: 12,851, Level: 74 Points: 12,851, Level: 74
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moving this to "General Technical Chat". I don't think you seriously need a poll. There could be a multitude of problems that could be causing this. Does the CEL come on when this happens? Are you having it checked for codes?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Lumadar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10555
What I Drive: 2006 Focus ZX3 SE Infra Red

FF Reputation: 2 Lumadar Good Standing Member
CEL, battery light and one other come on when the engine shuts down, but once I restart it they all go away and do not return.

The electrical test at NAPA goes through the battery but does test load and alternator readings. Everything came out perfect.

I have not had codes pulled. That was next on the list to try.

As for the poll, I know it isn't "necessary" but I didn't think it would hurt? Might be nice to see what is most popular...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
This sounds like it could be the fuel pump relay. Its in the electrical box under the hood (In my 2005 its #12). These are inexpensive and easy to replace. Try it before you spend a bunch of money you may not need to. This is a fairly common problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.