Curious... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103591
What I Drive: '00 Focus wagon, 96 Cutlass Supreme

FF Reputation: 1 swagfocuswagon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Curious...

Just a simple stupid question from a simpleton...Is it possible to fit a 6x9 in the doors in stead of the x8's? Maybe a 8 inch woofer? I know I gotta make the hole bigger and drill new screw holes but what are the chances of the magnet hitting the window glass? I mean the chances of me doing this are SUPER SLIM but it just has been eating at my mind for some time...

ALSO, should I worry about the magnet of a x8 or x7 new car speaker (most are oversized) hitting the window glass when I try to roll my winders down?

Thanks, Patrick!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109191
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Njk570 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagfocuswagon View Post
Just a simple stupid question from a simpleton...Is it possible to fit a 6x9 in the doors in stead of the x8's? Maybe a 8 inch woofer? I know I gotta make the hole bigger and drill new screw holes but what are the chances of the magnet hitting the window glass? I mean the chances of me doing this are SUPER SLIM but it just has been eating at my mind for some time...

ALSO, should I worry about the magnet of a x8 or x7 new car speaker (most are oversized) hitting the window glass when I try to roll my winders down?

Thanks, Patrick!

Is there a reason why you want to change the size? The sound difference would be very minimal. But if you want to, its very possible. I would go with an 8" driver. Im sure you can make your own adapter , or they probably sell adapters online so you can fit an 8" instead of the 6x8s. If you do it your self i would recommend using Plexiglass.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:

Thanks, Patrick!
And you should be good on magnet clearance, believe it or not you have quite a bit of room most likely. Just role the window down all the way and measure from the mounting spot to the glass.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

No reason at all its just for shits and giggles that and I really hate oval speakers. Or anything not round (I hate car audio in general but Im just very picky, really like good audio) and I just want it louder

And there are these aluminum cone woofers on Parts Express that I really want to try in a car, I hear great reviews of them. If I could get some good tweeters (wich I have) then Ide be set.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
No reason at all its just for shits and giggles that and I really hate oval speakers. Or anything not round (I hate car audio in general but Im just very picky, really like good audio) and I just want it louder

And there are these aluminum cone woofers on Parts Express that I really want to try in a car, I hear great reviews of them. If I could get some good tweeters (wich I have) then Ide be set.
Aluminum cones to me sound to "pingy", i personally prefer a carbon fiber, or paper cones. I feel like they create a more softer, more pleasing sound than aluminum.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Do you have an EQ?

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

I guess its all about what one prefers. In a car I try to avoid paper due to the temp changes and humidity and ect. Plastic just gets brittle over time, metal seems to be the one that really holds up well. Carbon fiber well its just pricey.

And nope. Just more crap to get in the way. Besides I dont really like EQs all that much.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Quote:
I guess its all about what one prefers. In a car I try to avoid paper due to the temp changes and humidity and ect. Plastic just gets brittle over time, metal seems to be the one that really holds up well. Carbon fiber well its just pricey.

And nope. Just more crap to get in the way. Besides I dont really like EQs all that much.
Do you have good fabrication skills then?

Because the stock speaker locations will be working against you if you want truly good sound.

And yes, you could put an 8" in the door. But, I'd put 2 of them in the passengers footwell then run a tweeter and 4" mid(even a 3")in each "A" pillar.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
RS-wagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2598
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 RS-wagon Good Standing Member
I had a set of Kicker MB-8 midbasses in the doors of my 03 wagon. just needs a little metal cutting.

Tim

Drag racing is for fast cars, Autocrossing is for fast drivers
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemind View Post
Do you have good fabrication skills then?

Because the stock speaker locations will be working against you if you want truly good sound.

And yes, you could put an 8" in the door. But, I'd put 2 of them in the passengers footwell then run a tweeter and 4" mid(even a 3")in each "A" pillar.
Too much work. I dont want to run all that wiring and stuff in there.

Ive been working with this stuff for a while. With the right circumstances you can do some crazy things with just 2 drivers.

Bookmarks & Social Networks