Post your mod pics!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 141 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #1401
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze SE sedan

FF Reputation: 8 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Apparently...he'll be sending me a picture. We were going to swap vents but we may not have to.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #1402
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58905
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SE Sports Pack Hatch

FF Reputation: 7 BLarson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade-010 View Post
you should see his I-net download speeds lol.... Got a Q for ya, would the fronts be easier if I have another strut already and strut mount plate? just in and out?oh yea and what bolts are sposed to be one time use
The hard part about the front strut is just getting it out of the knuckle. The rest of it is easy. If you had an extra set of struts, you'd still have to compress the springs. So it wouldn't save you much time at all. Just cost more $$. As far as one time use bolts, I never knew about em. So if you find out let me know so I can check mine. Lol
Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #1403
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 8 Shade-010 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLarson View Post
The hard part about the front strut is just getting it out of the knuckle. The rest of it is easy. If you had an extra set of struts, you'd still have to compress the springs. So it wouldn't save you much time at all. Just cost more $$. As far as one time use bolts, I never knew about em. So if you find out let me know so I can check mine. Lol
Right click and save James's link he posted, it shows all the one time use bolts... But I think on the shorter springs you wouldn't need to compress them to get the bolts on the strut, get it on enough and once on the car use the car to compress to torque the strut nuts
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #1404
Dracoheart
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99169
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE w/ Sport Pack

FF Reputation: 1 Dracoheart Good Standing Member
Hey shade i know it might be a little late on this but is the wing included in the Zetec kit? In the pictures on rdc i do not see the wing by itself like you do all the other parts.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #1405
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: Like yours, only better

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracoheart View Post
Hey shade i know it might be a little late on this but is the wing included in the Zetec kit? In the pictures on rdc i do not see the wing by itself like you do all the other parts.
I gots this one Mike....

No wing included in the Zetec S kit, sorry. But, we can hook you up with a wing AND the Zetec S kit if that is what you desire.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #1406
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiStick View Post
I gots this one Mike....

No wing included in the Zetec S kit, sorry. But, we can hook you up with a wing AND the Zetec S kit if that is what you desire.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #1407
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58905
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SE Sports Pack Hatch

FF Reputation: 7 BLarson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade-010 View Post
Right click and save James's link he posted, it shows all the one time use bolts... But I think on the shorter springs you wouldn't need to compress them to get the bolts on the strut, get it on enough and once on the car use the car to compress to torque the strut nuts
Wow. It shows nearly every bolt as a one time use. I call BS. You can probably reuse those bolts a hundred times before their integrity was ever really compromised. It all comes down to civil liability and Ford covering their ASSets.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #1408
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLarson View Post
Wow. It shows nearly every bolt as a one time use. I call BS. You can probably reuse those bolts a hundred times before their integrity was ever really compromised. It all comes down to civil liability and Ford covering their ASSets.
Considering that the specified bolts may be torque to yield from the factory I might not agree with you on that being bs. Once you've plastically deformed a bolt beyond its fatigue point, removed the stress and then torqued it back down it is liable to fail much sooner than an unstretched bolt. But that is just the mechanical engineer in me screaming in my head that this sounds like a poor idea.

The ones specifically for the stut to the strut tower are definitely TTY, and very sensitive to maximum torque as found out by Zillon when he tried upping the torque value to stop the suspension noise and ended up snapping them off in the process instead after some driving.

It is however your car and therefore your choice as to what components you do replace. However if its a safety issue I'd have replaced the bolts they specified as being one time use only.

The torque to yield fasteners are one possible explanation as to why this is a bad idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque-to-yield_fastener

Even if they are not do you really want to risk the suspension failing because you reused a bolt to save a few dollars?

Well, I do pray that if it does happen you won't happen to have any passengers, and that you would not be in the middle of traffic at the time as this could end badly.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #1409
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Considering that the specified bolts may be torque to yield from the factory I might not agree with you on that being bs. Once you've plastically deformed a bolt beyond its fatigue point, removed the stress and then torqued it back down it is liable to fail much sooner than an unstretched bolt. But that is just the mechanical engineer in me screaming in my head that this sounds like a poor idea.

The ones specifically for the stut to the strut tower are definitely TTY, and very sensitive to maximum torque as found out by Zillon when he tried upping the torque value to stop the suspension noise and ended up snapping them off in the process instead after some driving.

It is however your car and therefore your choice as to what components you do replace. However if its a safety issue I'd have replaced the bolts they specified as being one time use only.

The torque to yield fasteners are one possible explanation as to why this is a bad idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque-to-yield_fastener

Even if they are not do you really want to risk the suspension failing because you reused a bolt to save a few dollars?

Well, I do pray that if it does happen you won't happen to have any passengers, and that you would not be in the middle of traffic at the time as this could end badly.
+1 on what this guy said
Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #1410
matt2331
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95294
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic Red Focus

FF Reputation: 1 matt2331 Good Standing Member
I wish I had the balls to do half of the mods that everybody here does. My hat is off to you guys. I am looking to do something subtle that will make my car look better, but won't be shouty. It seems like you guys are the best so, any suggestions?

Bookmarks & Social Networks