P0133 and P1381. Rough idle on cold starts - SVT - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
DonatasSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40573
What I Drive: 2004 Infrared SVT

Points 1,312, Level 20
Points: 1,312, Level: 20 Points: 1,312, Level: 20 Points: 1,312, Level: 20
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 DonatasSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
P0133 and P1381. Rough idle on cold starts - SVT

So i have this interesting issue with my focus. I has very rough idle while the engine is cold. Especially in damp weather. When engine warms up (after 5 mins or so) it drives normally.

I scanned with my Predator and it shows P0133 and P1381 codes. However, engine light is off - it was on once about a week ago, but then went off.

I have never changed timing belt. My focus now has 65,000 miles. Tom's tune is installed.

The interesting part is that I had Southbend clutch and aluminum flywheel (if I recall correctly it was Fidanza) installed some years ago. Recently, some problems started:

1) Crankshaft position sensor broke (had code P0320). It was mechanically damaged from inside (no clue how it could happen). I had it replaced and the shop that did it told that somehow flywheel touched the sensor, so to install a new one, they put a small spacer that it would have some clearance from flywheel. It worked pretty ok after the install, even though I noticed that revs drop to a lower point than usual when changing the gear. The engine even stalled a few times but it was quite rare, so I didn't complain.

2) Clutch throw out bearing broke. I had it replaced. The shop told me that the clutch and flywheel look ok, therefore no need to change them. The engine and clutch worked normally after the change.

3) A few weeks after the fixing throw out bearing rough idle started, as I described above.

I have a feeling that somehow all these problems are related. I saw this thread, which sounds quite similar to mine situation but mine worked perfectly fine for several years after the install of Sbend clutch and fly.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by DonatasSVT; 02-10-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 36,339, Level 100
Points: 36,339, Level: 100 Points: 36,339, Level: 100 Points: 36,339, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That is some very next level mechanical posts. I remember reading that and just thinking. Good job to the original poster.

That would see likely then. Did you get a glance of the flywheel before it was put in years ago. Of course ... that is weird that you installed it several years back, and it's not giving you problems.

You said you just got the tune ... I am going out on a limb here, but do you think the tune could have thrown it off a bit as well?

But I still recommend you change your timing belt sometime in the near future.

Ray
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,387, Level 100
Points: 51,387, Level: 100 Points: 51,387, Level: 100 Points: 51,387, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Shoot me a datalog and let me see if I can help

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
icurunnin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 71011
What I Drive: 03 BLK Svt Focus 5 door Vortech H.O

FF Reputation: 1 icurunnin Good Standing Member
Thrust bearing could be bad allowing the crank to shift when you use the clutch
Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
DonatasSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40573
What I Drive: 2004 Infrared SVT

Points 1,312, Level 20
Points: 1,312, Level: 20 Points: 1,312, Level: 20 Points: 1,312, Level: 20
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 DonatasSVT Good Standing Member
Thanks for the first replies.

I don't recall any details of the flywheel prior to its installation. The tune was installed quite some time ago (a few years at least), so it is not the cause for sure.

Tom, is it ok if I datalog with Predator? I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to find xcal anywhere around my place.. Which data type should I datalog?

Last edited by DonatasSVT; 02-10-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.