MPG Mods - - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
IngotMK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42911
What I Drive: MK3 Focus

Points 3,882, Level 39
Points: 3,882, Level: 39 Points: 3,882, Level: 39 Points: 3,882, Level: 39
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 IngotMK3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
MPG Mods -

Just picked up a new 13 hatch - what is everyone doing to up the mpg?

Im looking do intake, plugs and wires for just now but whe is everyone upgrading or using?

TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,611, Level 65
Points: 9,611, Level: 65 Points: 9,611, Level: 65 Points: 9,611, Level: 65
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtwagon View Post
Just picked up a new 13 hatch - what is everyone doing to up the mpg?

Im looking do intake, plugs and wires for just now but whe is everyone upgrading or using?

TIA
The car uses coil over plug coil packs, it doesn't have ht leads in the same manner as the older cars.

As to intake and exhaust modifications the Steeda and FSWerks combination seems to be popular, but you really need to search as most of these things have been discussed before.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
slbenz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107708
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL Hatchback

Points 187, Level 3
Points: 187, Level: 3 Points: 187, Level: 3 Points: 187, Level: 3
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 slbenz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I put in a drop-in K&N filter and saw a 1-2 mpg increase.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
IngotMK3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,882, Level 39
Level Up 55% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The car uses coil over plug coil packs, it doesn't have ht leads in the same manner as the older cars.

As to intake and exhaust modifications the Steeda and FSWerks combination seems to be popular, but you really need to search as most of these things have been discussed before.
Good to know - thanks man, noob to this car hah

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbenz View Post
I put in a drop-in K&N filter and saw a 1-2 mpg increase.
Had the drop in on my last car (zx2) looking on FSwerks like the foam ITG one - might give that a try. Whats this res and snorkel delete that I keep seeing?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
roderunner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108779
What I Drive: 2014 White Plat. Fusion 1.6L stick

Points 111, Level 2
Points: 111, Level: 2 Points: 111, Level: 2 Points: 111, Level: 2
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 roderunner Good Standing Member
I love good gas mileage and think the Focus does an excellent job of maximizing fuel economy with this car. They use some pretty neat technologies such as grill shutters, ADFSO (Active Deceleration Fuel Shut Off), electric power steering, "smart battery management", various engine mods, lots of aerodynamic treatment, low friction lubes and oils, low rolling resistance tires, etc. The best thing you can do to reach that potential is improve your driving style. To that end, they even provide optimal shift indicators and performance monitors you can take advantage of.

Other than driving style, keeping your tires properly aired and filters clean, there isn't much you can do in the way of improvement IMO.

If you read up about the snorkel removal, you'll find some seemed to improve performance in conjunction with other mods. Others reported a decrease in mileage. Maybe there was a reason Ford put it there in the first place?

As for the K&N, I used to be a fan, found it sounded cool but didn't really improve mileage any more than installing a clean filter. True, K&Ns admit more air, but since A/F ratio is closely governed and the stock filter operates nowhere near max air flow, the extra air is superfluous. You do get extra dirt in your engine though, dirtier oil and shorter engine life, if you're not planning on keeping the car for a long time, no-one will probably notice. Another (different forum) member who lives in AZ calls them "silica injectors"

In reality, filters are there to keep engines clean and minimize wear. It's hard to beat paper filters as this report indicates:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Other comparisons you can find on the internet show similar results.

If it were otherwise, wouldn't you think Ford (and others) would use them rather than spending hundreds per car on MPG upgrades?

Congratulations on your new car! You'll find lots of other great ideas to customize your car with on the forum!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
incubus625
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38414
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Fiesta Hatch 5 speed

FF Reputation: 2 incubus625 Good Standing Member
You gotta look at it from a cost stand point to. Intake and exhaust may get you maybe 1 mpg more. but the cost for that extra mpg is rediculous. What you could do is replace your tires with Lrr tires when the time comes, switch to 0w-20 motor oil, etc. I dont have the new focus but I have a fiesta. So I do plan on switching to better tires when the time comes.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
turbosleepa
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107143
What I Drive: 2012, Black focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 turbosleepa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus625 View Post
You gotta look at it from a cost stand point to. Intake and exhaust may get you maybe 1 mpg more. but the cost for that extra mpg is rediculous. What you could do is replace your tires with Lrr tires when the time comes, switch to 0w-20 motor oil, etc. I dont have the new focus but I have a fiesta. So I do plan on switching to better tires when the time comes.
Is it wise to switch to a lighter oil? Wouldn't ford suggest it if it was safe to run it? The new mazda 3's run it so i am sure if ford thought it was safe they'd run it too. The new mazda3's run the engine on high idle for a bit when you first start it, maybe it has to do with the grade of oil.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
IngotMK3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 3,882, Level 39
Level Up 55% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus625 View Post
That was the main car I wanted to get but, my dealer didnt have what I wanted and was like hmm might as well test drive the focus when I was still there, sure as I liked that more/came home with it - drove better, more space, ect. Just all around more car for the $

Def doing the lightweight wheels and LLR tires when the all seasons wear out then replace them with snows.

Not sure about the oil but I will be adding a new drop in filter for now.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
From my experience, cold air intakes and certain drop in filters give only the slightest mpg increase as they tend to produce more power. Big test is to really drive the car in a manner that nets you the best mpg (slower accelerations, less idle time etc) and when you do performance upgrades, keep to that manner of driving to actually see the gains. A lot of users who have switched to a drop in or CAI/RAI have said they get a lot more noise and perceive more power.

Try free/reversible mods first!
1. Play with spark plug gaping
2. Take top of stock air filter off (make sure it is secure though)
3. Inflate tires above rated 35psi to near maximum of tire (at your own discretion)
5. Remove unneeded weight in car (in town trips and have AMA? take out the spare!)
6. Fuel up with different brands of gas, pay X amount for premium (not free but not a lot of $$)
7. If 5sp, shift sooner but at beginning of powerband
8. Turn that A/C off! Windows up
9. Make sure crankshaft position sensor is in the fully advanced position (take off front passenger tire, look to bottom left and see if the slotted sensor is pushed down as far as it can go)

Doing these things will give you an idea of what helps and what really doesn't. I've gone down as low as 4.5L/100km at 4c at 100KMH just with different spark plug gaping, coil wires (see Reduce spark plug dwell...) and having a light foot.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Overinflating the tires will improve MPGss but wearing them out quicker will cost you more and with a smaller contect patch you also have less grip in corners. Don't overinflate.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.