Car battery changed, now it revs right up when the clutch is pressed - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
mdkmd5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105882
What I Drive: 2001

FF Reputation: 1 mdkmd5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Car battery changed, now it revs right up when the clutch is pressed

Hey,

Over christmas my car battery decided to give out and the local garage replaced it. The second I got the car back it's developed a nasty revving problem when depressing the clutch whilst moving, and the car pulls away from you when you're in 2/3rd gear. It wasn't perfect before, but it certainly wasn't revving up so I'm assuming this has something to do with an ECU reset with the battery being replaced.

When the car is stationary and the engine is idleing everything is perfect. When you're moving though and you change gears the car will rev up to over 2k revs on its own, and when coming to stop it will rev right up until you have completely stopped. Garage has had a look at idle control value and throttle position sensor but he said he's really struggling with it now. It's nothing to do with the pedal because I've tried putting my foot under it and pulling it back whilst it's revving.

If you drive along in neutral and let it settle at 2k revs, you can blip the throttle ever so slightly and it revs up to over 3.5k on its own, taking 5-10 seconds to come back down to 2k. I actually don't have a clue what it could be.

Car is a 2001 focus 1.8 zetec,

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
Dsilva1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112026
What I Drive: T reg Green 1.8i

FF Reputation: 1 Dsilva1 Good Standing Member
Im sure ive posted elsewhere to this problem and my car is suffering this one too! :( Today Im going to check the vacuum pipes to the inlet manifold and, allegedly, there are more hoses to check underneath the throttle body.Ive already checked the throttle body to ensure its clean and shutting properly and also MAF sensor too. I think this problem is also contributing to horrendous fuel consumption. Please post if you find a solution as im banging my head on the wall over this one too.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92148
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkmd5 View Post
When the car is stationary and the engine is idling everything is perfect. When you're moving though and you change gears the car will rev up to over 2k revs on its own, and when coming to stop it will rev right up until you have completely stopped.
This is probably a very useless post on my behalf, however, maybe it'll highlight it for someone else.

The vehicle functions fine when it's idling. The moment it is "in motion" the computer goes haywire and starts revving the engine itself (fly-by-wire can't do that though?).
Unless! It's controlling the air intake from the idle air control valve, thus by-passing the actual throttle body.

Could it be possible that your ECU (or even more unlikely: the PCM) is actually damaged?
Quickie Google search turned this up: http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/sho...ixed!%29/page2

Or, quite possibly, the person who looked over your TPS (throttle position sensor) made a mistake, and it actually is the TPS.
I mean no offense to anybody by that statement. But, from personal experience, people care more about money than helping.
More vehicles pushed through a garage, the bigger your paycheck, the less you need to care about helping someone that very day.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Dsilva1
Focus Rookie

Have to admit Im tempted into replacing the TPS as it is not much money. Have read other threads that suggest the factory settings of the PCM are not perfect and lead to revving between gear change but the information, in my opinion, does not relate to my/our problem. Just out of interest, MDK, are you using a lot of fuel too? i would agree with our American compadre, garages are not to be trusted!! Have dealt with some blokes with diagnostic tools in the past, and they struggle to understand how the hardware works, let alone fixing my bloody car!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsilva1 View Post
Have to admit Im tempted into replacing the TPS as it is not much money. Have read other threads that suggest the factory settings of the PCM are not perfect and lead to revving between gear change but the information, in my opinion, does not relate to my/our problem. Just out of interest, MDK, are you using a lot of fuel too? i would agree with our American compadre, garages are not to be trusted!! Have dealt with some blokes with diagnostic tools in the past, and they struggle to understand how the hardware works, let alone fixing my bloody car!
A quickie 5 second Google search turned this up (very interesting; Read ALL the posts top to bottom):
- http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=61198

Three people claim that replacing the TPS cured the issue instantly.
These people also describe "warm" and "cold" climates affecting it though.

In a completely unrelated, non-DTC based idea: Could it be that the clutch is slipping (doubt it)?

EDIT
Oh, and if you have a handy-dandy 8mm socket, a ratchet, and maybe a 1/4th extension: You can take that sucker (IAC or "idle air control" valve) off, and look at it yourself!
Heck! While you're looking at it, you could even use some carb & choke cleaner and clean it out for ~$5 USD.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Oblivion; 03-30-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: New idea!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #6
Dsilva1
Focus Rookie

Thanks, Oblivion. Thats gonna be on my "to do" list tomorrow. Have ordered a manual so might fare better, navigating my way around the engine bay! I think this one is going to be a process of elimination. Im sure cleaning the IAC will help. :)
Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsilva1 View Post
Thanks, Oblivion. Thats gonna be on my "to do" list tomorrow. Have ordered a manual so might fare better, navigating my way around the engine bay! I think this one is going to be a process of elimination. Im sure cleaning the IAC will help. :)
You're welcome, Dsilva1. :)

Have you cleaned the IAC out yet? What's the status update? It's been 4 days!!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
Dsilva1
Focus Rookie

Hi oblivion. IAC cleaned. Still no joy. The throttle body is coming off today as I feel this might not be shutting properly. Will keep you posted. :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.