Oil change time! - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Eiron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77999
What I Drive: 2002 Red Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 Eiron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Which weight of Castrol syn have you been using? I used to be a died-in-the-wool Castrol fan, but when I learned about the court case they brought to legally call highly refined petroleum oil 'synthetic', I switched to Mobil 1. Amsoil would be my next choice.

I think Purolator filters are the best value in a high-quality filter. (The Pure One line was rated #2 overall (in both cold flow & filtration efficiency) by AC Delco when they had their super-premium UltraGuard Gold line.) But my own Used Oil Analysis results showed that I got no worse filtration from their standard filter, so I switched to that instead.

I run Mobil 1 0W-40 in the '02 Focus wagon's Zetec. It's fortified additive package (over M1 0W-20, 5W-20 & 0W-30) give it extended longevity in any engine. Based on several years' worth of Used Oil Analysis in my other cars, I'm completely comfortable running this oil in this engine for 2 yrs/20k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Andrews-bad-SE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100389
What I Drive: 2003 Arizona Beige SE 4dr Zetec/ATX

FF Reputation: 3 Andrews-bad-SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I've been using just the 5w20 syn. It stays clean and in good shape for well over 3 or 4k, but I never let it get that far lol.

What kind of mileage are you getting with the 0w40? I work far enough from home to worry about gas mileage now. I was actually thinking of switching over to the Mobil 1 0w20, as it states that it meets the same cold-start and hi-temp lubricity standards as the 5w20. Is the 40weight not a little thicker? I'm somewhat green in the areas of oil specifications and testing, I just have a pretty good handle on what's good and what's junk.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
whimsicalpouch2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87978
What I Drive: 2002, black SVT focus

FF Reputation: 4 whimsicalpouch2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
royal purple with quality filter like wix, motorcraft, hastings, casite

#586 of #4788
Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Points 6,115, Level 50
Points: 6,115, Level: 50 Points: 6,115, Level: 50 Points: 6,115, Level: 50
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 52%
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%
FF Reputation: 24 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
I use Mobil 1 5-30wt Extened Performance.

I am thinking about going with a filter for a small block Ford.

More filter, more protection at 190,xxx

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 02-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Eiron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77999
What I Drive: 2002 Red Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 Eiron Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrews-bad-SE View Post
... What kind of mileage are you getting with the 0w40? I work far enough from home to worry about gas mileage now. I was actually thinking of switching over to the Mobil 1 0w20, as it states that it meets the same cold-start and hi-temp lubricity standards as the 5w20. Is the 40weight not a little thicker? ...
I can't say what kind of mileage the Focus is getting (my daughter drives it), but I can tell you that I see no difference in mileage on my Saabs changing from one Mobil 1 syn to another. I've used Mobil 1 10W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40, 10W-40 & 15W-50, & they all return the same fuel economy.

I saw a noticeable (10%) benefit switching from conventional oil to Mobil 1 in my Saabs, but nothing really changes from switching between different Mobil 1 viscosities. I think the car manufacturers notice something like 1% fuel efficiency increases by changing to lighter viscosity oils, but that's under controlled test conditions. Once you & I are driving our cars in the real world, it's harder (impossible?) to see any economy benefits from viscosity changes alone.

Now, if I had a very efficient (60+ mpg) hybrid, then I might be able to tell a difference simply because my entire vehicle is already optimized for fuel efficiency. So changing one thing like engine oil viscosity has a larger impact on the whole 'efficiency system'. But not on my 30-35 mpg cars.

You'll see bigger fuel efficiency gains by keeping on top of routine maintenance & modifying your driving habits. For example, I see a 30%-35% fuel efficiency increase by driving 65 mph on the highway instead of 80 mph. I used to have an hour-long commute which had about 30 miles of highway driving in the middle of it. Slowing down to 65 mph added 5 minutes to my total commute time. I didn't care; for a 30% efficiency gain, it was worth it to me.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
Andrews-bad-SE
Focus Enthusiast

As I've been doing a lot of road trips (St. Louis area to Cleveland and back) I've definitely been trying to optimize fuel efficiency. I always keep up on plugs/wires, air filter, fuel filter, etc. Everything I can think of, and I always kept it at 65mph. I know that less RPM's x more MPH means fuel economy lol. I've found that 60 or 65 keeps it nice and efficient. Also with tire pressure... Definitely important. I have 205/45ZR17's on my EAP wheels, and I put 36psi in all four, I found it helps with the economy issue.

Thanks a lot for the insight on the oil, I'll definitely be considering what you mentioned when I make my purchase.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,874, Level 66
Points: 9,874, Level: 66 Points: 9,874, Level: 66 Points: 9,874, Level: 66
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
If you're still doing those road trips this summer, you'll be in the right area for the "FocusFest" !!!

With the Motorcraft oil avail. at WalMart (Ford Parts Guy actually was the first to send me there, they had it cheaper than his cost) I stick to the Factory Fill for now. Synthetic blend is decent stuff & mine gets low miles between changes so it works for MY use pattern. If I did a lot of miles, or "Track Days", I'd prob. upgrade to Mobil 1.

The Motorcraft & Wix recommendations are common, NAPA Gold gets some votes (Wix product?). Only other filter comment from me is to change it MORE often than Oil, NEVER less! Some Folks used to change it every other oil change, but it's been shown through oil analysis that filtration is MORE important than changing out oil that's still good. Getting the crud out is what counts, so cleaning the oil is good. When doing extended oil change intervals with synthetics, changing the filter at "normal" drain intervals is generally recommended.

One "Bud" of mine has kept a 944 going more than 25 yrs. of HIS ownership with Mobil 1, including track time & there are lots of similar stories. Changing it is more important than brand, you'll notice many brands will guarantee your engine if you use their products religiously!

luck!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #18
wickedgreyzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrews-bad-SE View Post
I've always used Castrol in the gold bottle with a Purolator Synthetic or K&N filter.

I'm not going to have to rebuild my engine in the next year, it's really clean and in great shape, inside and out.

I'm just interested in what people are using anymore, maybe there's something great out there that I haven't heard of yet.
That wasn't my point, with 140k you are driving on borrowed time. I'm not saying its going to happen to morrow but there is a chance anytime now that something internally is going to break.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #19
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgreyzx3 View Post
With 140k on the ticker just use the cheapest oil you can find that meets the specifications from ford.

Because really, what difference does it make now if you need a new or rebuilt engine next week or next year?
This
Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
Andrews-bad-SE
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgreyzx3 View Post
That wasn't my point, with 140k you are driving on borrowed time. I'm not saying its going to happen to morrow but there is a chance anytime now that something internally is going to break.
This is true... But I figure that spoiling her a little will help to keep that borrowed time a little more lengthy lol. I'm probably going to look into doing a rebuild sometime in the future, when I get some bills squared away.

Bookmarks & Social Networks