Getrag gear oil (hopefully the final thread on it) - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #21
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Ford chooses the fluids for the MTX for what FORD plans the use of the car to be used for over the life of the car , when you change a car from its intent of getting you to work and for groceries to a performance car you then have to make other changes as well , engine oils and trans fluid is one of those changes

Change your fluids regular and it wont matter much what you put in there , they all will work , like stated I use mobile engine oil in the MTX-75 and the Getreg , I have never seen any improvement using the redline or RP lines of fluids and I am around some major teams that also have done testing and they dont use them either

To say a trans will go bad if you dont use the fluids ford says is silly as the car isnt being used for what Ford expected it to be used for

Tom
No way, it is not silly to state that certain fluids are not compatible. That is an ignorance-based position that will cause harm to member's hardware. This I know after working in the petroleum industry and rebuilding manual transmissions for 35 years. There are fewer than five 6spd getrag BMW M3/M5/540i tranny rebuilders in the USA and I'm one of them. The additives in GL5 hypoid gear fluids eat modern yellow metal, sintered or carbon-wrap synchros widely used since the early 80's. You can change the fluid daily and the chemistry will still be wrong. If you get 5 years out of the tranny you'll be lucky. This reminds me of my buddy who used gear lube in his beautiful $6K Husaberg one summer and it ate the nikasil bore coating. The drain pan looked like aluminum paint. Being around a race team does not make anyone a transmission or lubricity expert. All it does is coerse people into falsely assuming that race fluids are better or even OK for street. Redline is not approved for use in ANY street car, period. It is a competition fluid for competitors who are willing to wear out and rebuild their hardware on a seasonal or frequent regular basis simply to achieve fractional horsepower gains. I'm not going to rebuild my street car more often just to gain a couple HP or less. If you want your motor or tranny to last more than 10K miles, choose recommended fluids with proper certifications, ratings and formula. The factory fluid is $20/qt for a reason. The MTX-75 will easily last 300K mi with the proper lubricant and changes once every 100K mi. With the GL5 hypoid stuff the synchros will disintegrate until clearances exceed spec and it chronically grinds. My MTX-75 will never need rebuilt because I run the appropriate lubes. The chassis will rust away first. I've rebuilt over 20 track trannys and I know what the wrong lubes will do. The Supra, Mustang and BMW communities learned this long ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

FF Reputation: 3 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Ive been saying this since the FIRST fofo back in 2004 been using Amsoil 75w90 and now I use RP MAX Gear 75w90 (just cause i get it a little cheaper) and will continue to do so

those of you using lighter weights enjoy the brass that gets eaten up in your trans

all the mini cooper S guys have been running Redline 75wMTL for YEARS

either use Ford OEM that costs a Grip or get Royal Purple or Amsoil GEAR OIL 75w90
Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #23
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by qweesy View Post

all the mini cooper S guys have been running Redline 75wMTL for YEARS
I'd bet the idiot count for mini cooper S owners running unapproved redline fluid is closer to a couple hundred guys out of a total fleet size of 100K+ cars. That's maybe 0.2%, not exactly "all". A large percentage of these folks are still getting repairs under warranty. Please realize a couple misguided folks experimenting on the cooper forums don't speak for the whole owner community. This is exactly what happened on the Supra, Mustang and BMW forums when fools started promoting the incompatible redline fluids and trannys began dropping like flies in 5-7 yrs, shortly after warranty expired. History repeats itself and many refuse to learn from other's mistakes. BMW guys come to me to get Getrag trannys rebuilt after they do stupid stuff. The manfuacturer of these transmissions (Getrag) called out Redline and other non-approved lubricants as the culprit and the failures were clearly documented. You think you know more than the Engineers??? Do you have grounds to disagree with conclusions drawn on other forums where a community of folks with Getrag trannys learned the hard way over a decade?? Have you even seen a Getrag tranny inside? Most have no clue what is inside their transmission being damaged from improper fluid or abuse. All they know is the synchros shift more smoothly with certain lubricants, but that has nothing to do with lifecycle, corrosion, compatibility or wear rate. A tire wall will stop a car faster than the best racing brakes, but that does not mean tire walls are preferred for stopping. The objective when choosing tranny fluid should be to maximize lifecycle and overall performance. Shift feel is only one criteria. If quick synchro engagement were the only concern we'd all be trying kerosene or gatorade in our trannys.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #24
LittleRedSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105384
What I Drive: Supercharged '02 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 LittleRedSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm just confused by this entire thread. Someone tell me what fluid I should use in my Getrag.
I like to go fast.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #25
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
"When in doubt, use what the factory put out"

If your not sure just use the Ford Full Synthetic tranny fluid unless your comfortable with using what others have used. Really it's a personally preference has I have rarly if ever seen a getrag failure on here from different fluids being used. The one thing I think we can all agree on is the factory fluid at least..

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #26
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedSVT View Post
I'm just confused by this entire thread. Someone tell me what fluid I should use in my Getrag.
Use ford dude.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #27
haste
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109497
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Focus SVT 3-door

FF Reputation: 1 haste Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
a quart of ford prescribed full synth here in PA was $18 each. youch!

drained out the gl-5 i had in there...you guys had me worried about it...luckily, it was only in the tranny for a month.

what kind of mileage can i put on this fill? 1 year or every 12k miles seems ridiculous to me...its just a daily driver with some spirited driving here and there.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #28
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedSVT View Post
Ford dealership sells the proper fluid. It is specifically blended for your particular Ford-Getrag Transmission. This thread does a great disservice to the Focus community because 90% of the opinion is based upon gross ignorance. Recommendations to use alternative fluids are not appropriate and damage may result. Read your Operator's Manual in the glove box. If you don't have one, order one at the dealer or on ebay. It tells you what fluids to use. There are people on this forum that don't know a thing about lubricants aside from them being slippery, but they choose to recommend alternate products without any technical basis or understanding. This is really dangerous.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haste View Post
a quart of ford prescribed full synth here in PA was $18 each. youch!

drained out the gl-5 i had in there...you guys had me worried about it...luckily, it was only in the tranny for a month.

what kind of mileage can i put on this fill? 1 year or every 12k miles seems ridiculous to me...its just a daily driver with some spirited driving here and there.
I'd change it every 75K mi or so. Time interval is not a significant factor unles you're in a flood lol. Honestly it doesn't matter if it's every 3 yrs or 13 yrs. That should get you beyond 300K mi without wearout issues, unless you have some issue with your clutch dragging or shifter linkage malfunction. But what do I know after rebuilding Getrag 6spd manual trannys for BMW for 7 yrs and helping others with rebuilds for Mitsubishi VR4/Dodge Stealth and Toyota Supra. I have also rebuilt Corvette and Ford trannys from ZF, Tremec and Borg Warner.

Amateur racers running track typically change tranny lube about every 12K mi to 36K mi. This just flushes particulate out from abusive shifting. The fluid is easily good for 36K under severe duty. Anything under 50-75k mi is overkill for street unless you're abusive and grinding gears all the time. In that case, fresh fluids won't save it.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #30
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lscman View Post
No way, it is not silly to state that certain fluids are not compatible. That is an ignorance-based position that will cause harm to member's hardware. This I know after working in the petroleum industry and rebuilding manual transmissions for 35 years. There are fewer than five 6spd getrag BMW M3/M5/540i tranny rebuilders in the USA and I'm one of them. The additives in GL5 hypoid gear fluids eat modern yellow metal, sintered or carbon-wrap synchros widely used since the early 80's. You can change the fluid daily and the chemistry will still be wrong. If you get 5 years out of the tranny you'll be lucky. This reminds me of my buddy who used gear lube in his beautiful $6K Husaberg one summer and it ate the nikasil bore coating. The drain pan looked like aluminum paint. Being around a race team does not make anyone a transmission or lubricity expert. All it does is coerse people into falsely assuming that race fluids are better or even OK for street. Redline is not approved for use in ANY street car, period. It is a competition fluid for competitors who are willing to wear out and rebuild their hardware on a seasonal or frequent regular basis simply to achieve fractional horsepower gains. I'm not going to rebuild my street car more often just to gain a couple HP or less. If you want your motor or tranny to last more than 10K miles, choose recommended fluids with proper certifications, ratings and formula. The factory fluid is $20/qt for a reason. The MTX-75 will easily last 300K mi with the proper lubricant and changes once every 100K mi. With the GL5 hypoid stuff the synchros will disintegrate until clearances exceed spec and it chronically grinds. My MTX-75 will never need rebuilt because I run the appropriate lubes. The chassis will rust away first. I've rebuilt over 20 track trannys and I know what the wrong lubes will do. The Supra, Mustang and BMW communities learned this long ago.
Add me to the list of 5 guys in the US that build the Getrag SVT Trans , I have a SVT Getrag making over 300HP to the wheels with Mobile 50 wt oil and has seen over 10,000 miles or hard road track use ( mostly VIR) over 500 1/4 mile passes , 100 1/8 mile passes runs a 1/4 in 12.99 @ 111 mph and tens of thousands of miles on the road as a daily driver , I have over 200 SVT customers running this same oil 100% issue free and most of them boosted where the SVT Getrag is exceeding its load limits set by Getrag over 300TQ at the wheels , I build mostly daily drivers not race cars and I do not work for a race team , I own my own engine shop , trans business , tuning and dyno business as well as fabrication

the claimed "wrong fluids" at your # they should be 150+ out of the 200+ I have done that should of gone bad and none have , kinda throws a wrench into your scare tactics , a MTX-75 with over 150,000 miles turbocharged track / DD car with Mobile engine oil 50wt Syn , 3 clutches but never any trans issues ,

This many Foci with "the wrong fluids" and no issues has to say something at least to the point they dont brake if you dont use the Ford fluids

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks