Unable to get a price from dealers for 2012 or 2013 Focus? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center

Ford Focus Purchasing Center Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This is so strange to read. I had TWO dealers bending over backward to sell me my ST with Z-plan. But I just don't let them play their games. Yes, I let them have their fun scribbing down figures & running back & forth to the 'deal' office, but at the end of it all, if they can't meet my numbers, I shrug my shoulders & stand up. And this is when the real fun starts. More scribbling, more running, more 'altertnatives', etc etc etc.

My biggest warning to car buyers: Don't shop by payment, shop by price. When they ask you what you're wanting to pay per month, that basically gives them a blank check to work with. Negotiate the price of your trade and the price of their car separately, and make sure to keep your eye on both figures, because they like to change them without pointing it out. Also, don't let them go over 60 months if you can help it.

Head to the dealership and play the game, but play it your way....not theirs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesiel678 View Post
I used to work as a car sales person for 8 years. This was one of the many frustrating questions a customer would ask. "What's the price???" or "Give me your best price." On a new car, it's clearly marked... it's called MSRP. Oh, you want better/lower than MSRP?? That's fine. Commit to buying the car and we will gladly negotiate with you. Oh, you want us to negotiate without a commitment from you? What, you think we like to negotiate for fun? No thanks. When you are ready to buy we will make you a deal. Until then, the price is the one listed on the sticker. Good day sir.

Check Edmunds.com for invoice pricing and True Market Value. Look at Cars.com to see what prices / deals are being advertised. Find the car you want, research it, determine what you are willing to pay (be reasonable), then go to the dealer ready to buy. If your offer is reasonable, they will take it. They may try to play hardball (to hold some profit), but if you are willing to walk, they will fold.
I agree with most of this. Do your research and you will know what the best price is, do not ask the dealer. When you tell the dealer you will give them X amount for said car, you have committed to buy the car. Don't mess around with this, you will just look stupid when they accept your offer and you don't take it. When they play hardball and most will, stick to your reasonable offer. Make only a few attempts to move past this point. If unable, then walk, because it will be you who folded and walked away not the dealer. And when the sales manager ask the salesman what happened to that potential sale it will be them getting their a55 chewed not you. And when you show up again if you so decide, the will generally be a bit more accommodating.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
My biggest warning to car buyers: Don't shop by payment, shop by price.

Head to the dealership and play the game, but play it your way....not theirs.
Absolutely, as I said in one of my earlier post. Dealers love the monthly payment game, so don't play it.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
imccrea
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 85212
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus hatch SGM

FF Reputation: 6 imccrea Good Standing Member
Some good advice here for sure,

@CBDallas, if you qualify for Z plan there is no haggling so I'm not sure why they were bending over backwards to sell you the car $1,000 below invoice.

If you are not in a hurry let me know and I may be able to assist you if you would like to order a Focus.
Ira McCrea
Phone: 970-667-2220
E-mail: iram@loveford.com
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
PDQEagle
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9356
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 PDQEagle Great Standing Member
Go online the Ford site, where you put in your specs and it will tell you what dealer has it.

Contact Quirk Ford in quincy

3 years ago I wanted to buy an 08 Escape, tested them out and knew what we wanted, but wanted to sell the Durango first. Figured I'd have some time. Sold the Durango (gas hog) to the first looker for what we wanted (he needed the third seat) Met him at his bank (my bank also) transferred the $$ right there at noon.
Now no car. Went back to work in the pm and went back on line. Emailed Quirk, they emailed back the price. Asked for cc of the sticker to make sure it was the same car, they faxed me the window sticker with their price (now a $lK better than everyone). Same afternoon talked with the local dealer in Franklin Mass and he was higher.
Called quirk, said I'd be down in the PM after work. He asked if I had plates, said bring them. Picked up my wife, went down there tested the car, financed $10K (we have credit score over 800) with ford, gave them another $10K check and asked them to hold it so we could transfer the $$-no problem
Put the plates on and drove home. They even took care of transferring and delivering the new registration.
I've been buying cars for 60 years, and it's ALWAYS been a grind. This was unreal.

"QUIRK was great. If you're young, have a McDonalds job, no established credit score, or a trade, I doubt you'll get the same treatment. But QUIRK is the place to start

By the Way, I've (and my wife) had some nice cars

62 Corvair
Couple of Triumphs sports cars
66 Pontiac GTO conv
Ton of turbos
86 Dodge charger shelby
Ford Turbo coupe
Datsun 280ZX
Eclipse AWD
Mercury Capri turbo

I've had my current 03 Focus ZX3 2.3 for eight years, and it's the most fun car I've ever had, totally reliable except for swaybar links, and gives me 30 mpg all the time

Good luck
Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
ImaPoser
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109280
What I Drive: 2013 focus hb titanium in perf blue

FF Reputation: 1 ImaPoser Good Standing Member
Yep. I'm in the middle of shopping as well. I found it idiotic that the five local dealers all have internet sales guys listed on their web site, but only one of them was willing to give me a sale price over emails while all the others wanted to either call or have me come in. I guess internet means different things to different folks.

I started going to dealers last week. One dealer wanted to play the four square game. As soon as I saw what he was starting, I got up and left. I got stuck at one of those dealers last time I bought a car and won't even consider a dealer who uses that sales tactic. Every other dealer I've gone to has given me a price, and when I get ready to leave, drop it down another $500 and say they are probably going to end up losing money, but will do it to make the deal. Right. All are within $500 of each other, about 2% under invoice. I just wonder how much is still left on the table to play with. I told them I will be buying as soon as ford cuts loose the auto show rebates as that is only two weeks away for my area.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
Nik00117
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58749
What I Drive: 2011 Fusion SEL, 2010 Road Glide

FF Reputation: 0 Nik00117 Newbie
My buddy in GA had a deal go like this the other day

Guy came to the lot, looked at the different vehicles on the lot and spotted a Chrysler 200 he wanted. He didn't ask the dealer for a price, he went home did his research went to truecar pricing figured that he'd add an additional $250 to that for service.

He walked into my buddy dealership sat down him said "I want this car, it's over there on your lot I'm approved with financing at 1.99% 72 months check is in my pocket, I checked the true car pricing here it is (pointing at the paper he printed of that very same car) I understand thats bare minimum for you guys if you make this easy on me I will pay $250 more then that right now, if you can beat 1.99% finance I'm interested in that as well"

Buddy looked at the deal, told his mgr who responded with as long as it's quick and easy do it and they did.

Deal done. My buddy made $200 on the deal however it only took an hour.

As a car sales man asking me what my price is possibly the worst question you can ask. Here's why do you have any idea on how many times we have answered that question and been screwed in the past? Best to know what the price is, print out the proof etc.

http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/ford/focus-pricing/

Dealer pricing is no longer a secret.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
Wasney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109571
What I Drive: 5SPD 2013 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Wasney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Awesome website. I've been wondering if I'm getting as much of a deal as I thought, and using this to check I'm getting it almost $1000 less then the 'true price'.

Enough verification for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using FF Mobile
Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
ImaPoser
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109280
What I Drive: 2013 focus hb titanium in perf blue

FF Reputation: 1 ImaPoser Good Standing Member
Sorry, I don't buy true car or any other website pricing. I'm guessing they are all shill sites for the manufacturers. You say your Buddy did a deal for $250 more than the true car price and only made $200. The poster above me says he's $1k under that, and I'm over $1k less than that after my first stop at a dealer. If those numbers are real, there a bunch of dealers selling cars at a loss, which we all know isn't happening.

I'm also in the process of buying a jeep right now and the true car site and others are all pointing to 1-2% over invoice, yet there's a dealer on a jeep forum that will get you any jeep you want for 2% under. After talking to a couple people who have bought recently, and two dealers, I expect somewhere closer to 4% under invoice as a bottom dollar price.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #20
Wasney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109571
What I Drive: 5SPD 2013 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Wasney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Sorry, I don't buy true car or any other website pricing. I'm guessing they are all shill sites for the manufacturers. You say your Buddy did a deal for $250 more than the true car price and only made $200. The poster above me says he's $1k under that, and I'm over $1k less than that after my first stop at a dealer. If those numbers are real, there a bunch of dealers selling cars at a loss, which we all know isn't happening.

I'm also in the process of buying a jeep right now and the true car site and others are all pointing to 1-2% over invoice, yet there's a dealer on a jeep forum that will get you any jeep you want for 2% under. After talking to a couple people who have bought recently, and two dealers, I expect somewhere closer to 4% under invoice as a bottom dollar price.
Maybe incentives are like when we have a sale on a cell phone. The store (dealership) still makes that money, but instead of from us it's from Ford as a kickback. So it's not a loss, but a win.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->