Decrease spark dwell time, improve firing? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Decrease spark dwell time, improve firing?

Spent most of my days on Mazdaspeedforums.org when my Speed6 was my daily driver. One interesting idea a couple of us came up with was instead of upgrading the coil on plug system with a proper 4 channel CD ignition system, we tried to improve the coils themselves.

I'll see if I can pull/take pictures soon. I believe our car, like most non-sport NA engines, we have a narrow band primary O2 sensor. So pretty much anything at WOT is out the window for recording, measuring. Most cars are tuned to be very rich in these scenarios and in worst cases, too rich (safer than too lean!)

Most of the guys who have installed at least a CAI will see more uppen rpm power BECAUSE the stock tune will go fairly rich at WOT, the new intake giving more air, will lean that out and possibly give a leaner, better a/f ratio for power. I'm sure if you WOT a lot in this car you will see VERY dark, carbon fouled spark plug tips (on the outer edge for rich WOT).

Now after all of that precurser, here is what we did: replace the COIL on plug boot wires that touch the spark plug with those of lower resistance. The stock aluminum ones are good but I remember they still showed a couple mili ohms or something of resistance. Replaced it with a copper strand (not coiled but meshed) and the resistance is about 1/4 of the stockers.

May be breadcrumbs but since I'm sure everyone has some copper wire sitting around somewhere they aren't needing (need maybe a foot for the entire project), it is relatively a cheap mod. Idea that this would improve the most in higher rpm instances where the spark is weaker, slower to ignite. Yes, I know COP is much better than previous ignitions but why not? Getting a more efficient burn at idle and at WOT is a good thing. The knock sensor on these engines (prob same on the Mazda's, so VERY sensitive) will pull things back if any pinging is noticed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
SPRAYPAINT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89747
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 SPRAYPAINT Good Standing Member
Our air fuel sensors are wide band. I LIKE THE IDEA OF MODDING THE FACTORY COIL BOOTS.

January 2012 Ride Of The Month
Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks SPRAYPANT! I have access to AllData but there hasn't been a lot of factory info provided for 2012's. Haven't had a need to get my hands on the factory manual haha.

Ahhhhh we just need a tuner! Having a factory wideband makes tuning soooo much easier. I wish this car was MAP based like the ST but I'll take what I can get :P
Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadworthy View Post
Thanks SPRAYPANT! I have access to AllData but there hasn't been a lot of factory info provided for 2012's. Haven't had a need to get my hands on the factory manual haha.

Ahhhhh we just need a tuner! Having a factory wideband makes tuning soooo much easier. I wish this car was MAP based like the ST but I'll take what I can get :P
http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...112&itemtype=N

Factory service manual cd for the 2012 Focus/BEV/ST.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...=productdetail
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
MetalMuffins
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Thought this was a download link for it, almost pooped a little. Got my hopes up too soon
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMuffins View Post
Thought this was a download link for it, almost pooped a little. Got my hopes up too soon
I never said it was free, just that it was available.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

back on topic...lol

I'm going to see if I have some solid wire (from overhead light box) that I could scavenge and cut to length. I'll give measurements and results in the coming days :D
Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93741
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
These are for OBX SUPER DIRECT IGNITION / COIL PACK - MAZDA 3 MZR 2.0L / FORD FOCUS DURATEC 2.0L

http://www.racingpartdepot.com/servl...IL-PACK/Detail
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

THIS (http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...evert/cop3.jpg) is what I'm talking about! :D I don't have any of those plug ends or that ferrous magnet to clear out RF..

Now I might just use a braided wire and just have the ends smoosh up against the spark plug connector end. Might have time tomorrow morning for this.....
Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I was under the impression from various tuners and people who have dyno'd there cars on here that the Focus actually runs pretty lean from the factory and especially so with bolt-ons. Certainly not too rich.

It's one of the many reasons why people are so mad about waiting for tuning from SCT or whoever the hell finally decides to sell a solution.

I'd link to a specific thread, but at this point I think it's been discussed in like 5 at least haha!

Anyway, just something to consider.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->