Are new 2013 Focus's having same issues as 2012? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Titanium View Post
Noises and weird things about the transmission....not sure I want to buy it now.
For everyone who says there are noises, there are people who say there aren't. It's an awesome car. My description of the tranny is not that different than a lot of fly-by-wire cars nowadays that are tuned toward gas mileage. There is a reason it doesn't downshift and rev to 5000 each time.

If you like the car, buy one. This is a good place to gather data but not the only one.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Many people with "noises and weird things" from the trans have had seals, clutches and other items replaced in the trans. If the noises and such are normal, I don't know why it would be necessary to replace parts.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
garate55
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108903
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Ti

Points 145, Level 2
Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 garate55 Good Standing Member
Quote:
What is it about this auto that "takes getting use to"? This is the first time I've heard people say this about an auto that supposedly works fine.
The only thing I noticed about the transmission is that if I start off too light on the gas it tends to "let loose" for a second. If I give it the right amount of throttle it just picks up and goes. You will, however, get used to it quickly. I love my car and wouldn't trade it for any of the others on the road that is of course until Ford comes out with a 2014 Focus SHO AWD...
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #24
vacman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107472
What I Drive: '13 5M white Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 vacman Good Standing Member
Get a 5 speed. Problem solved.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #25
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,841, Level 32
Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32 Points: 2,841, Level: 32
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacman View Post
+1. The DCT is pretty much the only thing that isn't really nice on this car.

Even MFT is pretty good - unless you're anal about getting your Bluetooth to send metadata or the car to read text messages. In most cases, it's a joint phone/MFT issue.

I don't know about you guys, but my last car didn't even have an AUX input.

If you were to go the MFT route, I'd say the navigation is mediocre at best.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #26
Johnny Sticceno
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108460
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Johnny Sticceno Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacman View Post
This. The most I read about here is concerns or complaints with the DCT. Buy a manual and do your own shifting
Old 02-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #27
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm new to this site and debating about buying a new 2013 Titanium focus with Auto and Nav. I did already read some forums saying that the 2013's may have gotten better but that was a few months ago. Just wondered if anyone recently knows if the issues have been resolved or not with the new ones. I have found one I like but have put everything on hold until I find out more about the issues. I don't want to buy it just to have non-stop problems. Please don't just redirect me to another link please tell me what you guys know about the current transmission and Navigation issues. I appreciate your help.
Hi 13Titanium,

Welcome! I'm Crystal, one of the Ford customer service representatives that helps out on this forum. You'll find a wealth of information and helpful advice around here - all you have to do is ask!

I think the Focus is pretty sweet, but I'll admit to being a little biased. We are committed to making vehicles that you can enjoy for years to come, but if you're concerned, I encourage you to reach out to the service manager at your local dealership. They see Ford vehicles every day and are excellent resources for getting technical questions answered.

Let us know if you decide to get a Focus of your own!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #28
13Titanium
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109547
What I Drive: 2013, Silver, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 13Titanium Good Standing Member

Last edited by 13Titanium; 03-02-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: ....
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #29
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,216, Level 35
Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Ok, anyone else who isn't sounding like a salesman and full of crap?
Wouldn't bash Ford's forum team... if you get a Focus and end up on the forums, they do the best they can to take care of you, best not to burn bridges before crossing them.

The Focus is an awesome car, and I have a Job 1 2012 model, built in June 2011. I've had some quirks with the transmission, but the revisions have helped tremendously in how it behaves. It's a Dual-Clutch Automated Manual transmission. Low-speed shudder is normal for automated-manuals on ANY car, ANY make. Grinding and replacing clutch/seals of course isn't normal, but the problems are being taken care of, so don't let that discourage you too much; you can have issues fixed, you're under warranty, and if your dealership gives you a hassle, enough bitching will get you just about anywhere.

MFT has been wonderful more often than not as well, and despite the flak it's gotten on review sites, using other infotainment systems in other cars has been more of a chore than a pleasurable experience from my experience.

The only way for you to make a decision is to go and drive one. Some dealerships will allow you to test a car for a weekend, try it out, listen for noises in the transmission, and if there are any, have them addressed before you buy if you want to buy. I looked into the Focus, test drove one, and immediately fell in love with it after driving it. It's comfortable, plenty nimble, full of cool technology, and it's the best looking Focus ever.

Don't let a few people in a forum make your decision for you, do your own homework, do your own research, hands on especially, and then decide.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #30
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 8,893, Level 63
Points: 8,893, Level: 63 Points: 8,893, Level: 63 Points: 8,893, Level: 63
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Noises and weird things about the transmission....not sure I want to buy it now.
Go with your gut feeling. No sense in spending a substantial amount of your hard earned money on a car you are not confident about purchasing.

The Focus is not what I would call, a car built for the lowest common denominator.
For example cars like the Corolla is a perfect example of being built with this character. A car for all people, except enthusiasts, whose priorities are normally quite different.
IMO the Focus is built for a customer who value great driving dynamics, advance engineering in style, design, technology, along with decent fuel economy.

Be honest with yourself and buy what is in your eyes the car ownership experience you need and value.

If you are stuck on the Focus but not sure, rent one for a week and make a decision from there, if the Focus is your type of vehicle.

The Ford rep that monitors this forum is a very valued member here, and has helped many Focus owners that have a had problems getting their service departments to work with them. That said, the advise to speak with your local Ford dealerships service manager IMO is not normally a good place to
get true information.
If you want to speak with this person, my 1st conversation would be more of a test, for example take a list of known issues that you read on this
forum from owners and ask the service manager if they are aware of these issues. If they say they are not aware of any of the common issues
which you can read on this forum, then you know you are in the wrong dealerships service department.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.