Going TO Eat My Own Words: Annoying Rattle - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
kb911
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91864
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE Hatch 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 kb911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Going TO Eat My Own Words: Annoying Rattle

So started up the focus today only to start hearing a very loud and annoying rattle comming from the dash/windshield. The other joy is I currently have 36,600 miles so I'm officially out of warranty when I place my hand and push on the windshield it reduces the noise substantially but im not sure if that is the cause because there is still a faint rattle heard when this is done. Figured I'd as the good people of focusfanatics before giving up and sucking on the teet of Ford for what would be a painful repair bill. could it be the windshield? or something in the dash? anyone else had a similar problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
I get the same rattle when it is cold outside - so do many people here on the forum. See if it goes away when it gets warmer out.

If you can live with it, I would avoid bringing it to Ford especially since you are out of warranty. Not to mention they may make it worse or cause another problem.

You should be glad you made it to 36,000 miles without the rattle, most of us have it with much less mileage - I am at 10,700 and it started around 8-9k miles when it gets cold out.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member
I picked up a terrible rattle on the passenger side that sounded like it was coming from my dash. My dealer isolated it to the passenger side a-pillar. Two visits and a little "insulaton" later it's gone, at least for now.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
kb911
Focus Enthusiast

i had a huge rattle on the headliner the dealer took care of it pretty well. Just randomly started today ever though last week it got down to 5 degrees here and today was 32. I just ran out to grab coffee from work and decided to shove a piece of styrofoam from our packaging supplies next to the running board on the passenger side footwell since is seems like it has a lot of play in it. Lo and behold it got rid of the rattle but I wont know for sure until I drive home. if you have ever be to Rhode Island you know are whole road infastructure was designed for testing of a cars ride quality lol
Old 02-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb911 View Post
i had a huge rattle on the headliner the dealer took care of it pretty well. Just randomly started today ever though last week it got down to 5 degrees here and today was 32. I just ran out to grab coffee from work and decided to shove a piece of styrofoam from our packaging supplies next to the running board on the passenger side footwell since is seems like it has a lot of play in it. Lo and behold it got rid of the rattle but I wont know for sure until I drive home. if you have ever be to Rhode Island you know are whole road infastructure was designed for testing of a cars ride quality lol
I was in Newport over the summer, beautiful town!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
kb911
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
I was in Newport over the summer, beautiful town!
I work in Newport let me know if you ever need any vinyl decals I do them at my job

I live in cranston so I have a commute of 50 miles a day its kinda sucking how fast the mileage is adding up on my car although I have had very few problems knock on wood
Old 02-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
EggYolkBill

Fan#: 8
What I Drive: '13 Performance Blue Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 21 EggYolkBill Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you are right at the mileage limit Ford often makes an exception because of that. I would talk to Ford before just living with it.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
So started up the focus today only to start hearing a very loud and annoying rattle comming from the dash/windshield...
I want to lend a hand by escalating this up to your regional customer service manager, kb911. So I can do that, please send me a PM with your VIN, current mileage, full name, best daytime phone number, and dealer details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
I get the same rattle when it is cold outside...
Some Guy From NY,

I see your case is still open. Have you discussed the concern with Cynthia? Drop me a line via PM with any info you want forwarded before your next call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
...My dealer isolated it to the passenger side a-pillar. Two visits and a little "insulaton" later it's gone, at least for now.
It makes me happy to see you’re free of rattles, DougC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggYolkBill View Post
...I would talk to Ford before just living with it.
EggYolkBill,

This is some great advice; thanks for taking the time to help.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
kb911
Focus Enthusiast

UPDATE: So finally got the rattle taken care of it was a broken panel clip that was rattling against the floor vent they even were able to get rid of a vibration in my B-pillar even though I said nothing about but the foreman told me he had noticed it and decided to add in some insulation which took care of the problem! (I thought it was my headliner causing it again) once again highly satisfied with my dealer!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
UPDATE: So finally got the rattle taken care of it was a broken panel clip that was rattling against the floor vent they even were able to get rid of a vibration in my B-pillar even though I said nothing about but the foreman told me he had noticed it and decided to add in some insulation which took care of the problem! (I thought it was my headliner causing it again) once again highly satisfied with my dealer!
What the shit? Your dealers fix things you don't even complain about? Is the competition really that high between dealers on the East coast? Maybe that's why dealers are so lax here. Everyone drives American and there aren't that many dealerships so they know you're stuck with them even if they suck.

Bookmarks & Social Networks