2012 Focus - Aftermarket Stereo possibilities. - Page 27 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #261
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58905
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SE Sports Pack Hatch

FF Reputation: 7 BLarson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So for those of you with an S model car, This would be an AWESOME upgrade. If I didn't have steering wheel controls, and the radio reception was good I'd keep the unit. Attached is a video of how the Bluetooth function works. The stereo sounds great as long as you don't listen to the radio. Lol I don't know how many antenna connectors the S model has but my car is an SE model with the upgraded tech package (203a package) that comes with sync and 6 speakers.

http://youtu.be/ljRiW5bWI4E

I am sending the unit back. I need the wheel controls to work and the radio reception to be good. I will try the latest and greatest when the next big thing comes out. And I'll share my findings. And I'll try and answer any questions you guys have. ( Rep welcome)

Last edited by BLarson; 02-04-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #262
TheDriver916
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96977
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TheDriver916 Good Standing Member
I'm not sure if you already covered this but most cars that have a factory amp require an actual module that will help all of those things like your backup camera, steering wheel and some sync functions. And if you try and wire it like a normal deck it will be very limited compatibility wise.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #263
TheDriver916
Focus Enthusiast

Did you buy the steering wheel control adapter with your deck? I thought that the SE would be fine since it doesn't have a factory amp. I have the S model so there is nothing to lose by taking out the factory system. I gained USB ports, HD radio, Bluetooth streaming and calling, an 8 band EQ, and DVD player all for about 550 with all the parts it needed. Imho that is an awesome bang for your buck.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #264
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver916 View Post
Did you buy the steering wheel control adapter with your deck? I thought that the SE would be fine since it doesn't have a factory amp. I have the S model so there is nothing to lose by taking out the factory system. I gained USB ports, HD radio, Bluetooth streaming and calling, an 8 band EQ, and DVD player all for about 550 with all the parts it needed. Imho that is an awesome bang for your buck.
No I didnt. The unit is supposed to be "plug and play" with nothing additional needed. And should work with the wires they give you.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #265
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
Does it have RCAs for aftermarket amps? I'm thinking I may get one since I have an S model.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #266
TheDriver916
Focus Enthusiast

They sell actual modules that are sometimes brand specific that will let you keep your steering wheel controls. Maybe some older cars didn't need the module but without the module you can't have steering wheel controls.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #267
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL330 View Post
Does it have RCAs for aftermarket amps? I'm thinking I may get one since I have an S model.
Yes. And a remote wire hook up. It has one RCA which has "sub" written on it.(I don't understand why there is only one??) And then it has 3 (I think) sets of white and red rca's so you can add more than just an amp if you wanted too.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #268
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver916 View Post
They sell actual modules that are sometimes brand specific that will let you keep your steering wheel controls. Maybe some older cars didn't need the module but without the module you can't have steering wheel controls.
Yeah. If I had gone with a metra kit and a aftermarket head unit I'd prob. need one. But these Chinese units are meant to work straight away with just the supplied harness.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #269
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL330 View Post
I'm thinking I may get one since I have an S model.
My only suggestion to you and anyone else with the S model who is interested in this "newerstone" unit is to first look at the back of your stock stereo and see how many hookups you have for the stock antenna. I have two, as pictured a few posts back. As this is one of my major qualms about this unit; it only came with one hook up for the antenna which left me with very poor radio reception. And if you have two connections like I do, confirm with the seller prior to purchasing, that they have two antenna hookups supplied with the unit.

To look at the back of the unit is only 6 screws(small torx bit). And can be done in about two minutes (literally).

Pull this tab with your fingers.

Unscrew the two screws underneath and gently pull outward on the bottom of the facia.

Undo one clip^(controls the lock/unlock/hazard and other facia buttons) and the whole facia comes off.

Now (your S model may be a tad different) unscrew these four screws.

Then give the unit a little tug. And you should be able to see the antenna plugs.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #270
mister_eff
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110362
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mister_eff Good Standing Member
Hello,
First post and new owner of 2012 Focus Hatchback SEL (stock 6-speaker, no navigation, basically stock SEL). I have a hopefully simple question.

I am hoping to add some sound deadening material as well as upgrading the sound system to my car. For the sound system, I plan on upgrading the speakers and possibly the amp and possibly adding a subwoofer. (I haven't thought all of that through and have only begun to do research)

However, for looks and function, I'm fine with the stock stereo head unit/dashboard thing. My question is, in terms of sound quality, how is the stock stereo head unit/dashboard thing? Is it recommended that I upgrade it if I want to improve the sound?

I will mainly be listening through the auxiliary in, but perhaps the USB as well.

Thanks.

Bookmarks & Social Networks