fuel filter replacement - !@#! clips - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
EcumSecumGuy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 59534
What I Drive: 2007 Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 EcumSecumGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
fuel filter replacement - !@#! clips

Just replaced the fuel filter on my wife's 07 wagon..broke the flimsy rear clip on the driver's side disconnect getting it out..it is very hard to get at - and it was $8 wholesale at the dealer to replace!

The clip on the line closest to the passenger side is a lot thicker and it pushed out easy.

I had bought an aftermarket filter and the clips it came with are useless on the Focus. Plus the Ford one is stainless steel ..I got the genuine Ford one and returned the aftermarket - which actually cost more than the Ford one!

Gotta do my wagon now. Is there a tool to disconnect the fuel line without breaking the thin clip? The two clip ends are pointed up towards the floor and can't be accessed easily.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You pushed the clip out of the line? That's wrong. You don't push the clip out of the line like on the older Fords with the fingernail heads. You press IN the flat white side of the clip and push the line slightly in at the same time to release. That means that the side you think is the hardest is the easiest. On the other side, follow the line back towards the tank about 6" away from the filter, and there is an easy clip to reach. Remove the filter with this small section of line.

I am interested in seeing a stainless steel version of the clip. It should still work the same way, but if you keep trying to push it out from the back side- that could damage the fuel line which would be very expensive.

I'd go back with the plastic clips- buut, it's easier for me. I'm not sure what parts stores you have up there in NS. At O'Reilleys we can get clips with each filter if you purchase the store brand- a name I can't remember right now. I think it's Microguard. I have like 8 of them, and now throw them away. I wish I could've known you had this problem and I'd have sent you some.

Once again, the reason you're breaking the clips is because of how you're removing the lines. Press the clip in, push the line forward or wiggle, and pull it apart.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
EcumSecumGuy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

That is just what I needed..I was trying to remove them like the old ford clips.

Many Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey... don't thank me yet, it's not easy to remove the lines this way either. In fact, it can be really annoying. I end up throwing a few expletives out every time. I wish there was a tool to make it easier like with the old snap rings that Ford still uses on AC lines. I don't always have a good thumbnail when I do filters which is once per year now because neither me or my wife puts enough miles on our vehicles in a year to need more than one filter per year. I read fuel filter lifetimes as (converted to metric) every 50k km or 1 year. Hopefully yours are easier than mine, you definitely feel and hear a click when the clip moves.

You don't happen to have the part number for that stainless steel clip do you? I'd like to see that!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
EcumSecumGuy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Sorry when I was talking about the stainless steel I meant the filter itself...the aftermarket filters are steel while the Ford filter is stainless. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the help again.

Bookmarks & Social Networks