Just replace the clutch - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Tilghman07
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109585
What I Drive: 2007, black, SE Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Tilghman07 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just replace the clutch

I have a 2007 ford focus manual transmission standard package with 42k miles. My buddy was DD and drove the car. At highway speeds 60 mph he forced it into first gear and cause it to stall and wont go in gear anymore. Had another friend pick me up and tow the car home. Had another buddy help me drop the transmission and replace the clutch and the throwout bearing which both was destroyed. Engine seems to be fine. After everything was back together, we test drove it and seems to be fine. But at the beginning of 1st it will show lack of power till picking up RPMS and seems fine and then shifts to 2nd gear and starts all over with the lack of power then fine after wards. My friend suggest that it needs to be broken in. So I let him take the car to work to make sure everything is fine. Well the next day he calls me and says the trans is broken again. But the clutch seems to engage but not moving the car. Like if the axles are not in. The speedometer would go up in speed. Sound like the car is on a dyno and not moving. Goes in every gear and shifts fine. I think its something wrong with diff inside the transmission and axles. I dont want him to touch the car because we spent like 6 hours replaceing the clutch. Any help would be awesome, before I go spend lots of money at a shop. I am hoping not to spend over $800. I will be checking in very often and answer questions. Thanks, Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
gondorian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105695
What I Drive: 2002 wgn (Selling) 2004 2.3 wgn 5sp

FF Reputation: 7 gondorian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
HOW do you put it in 1st at 60? 1st hits the limiter around 35.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Tilghman07
Focus Rookie

My buddy said he had the clutch pedal all the way down and was bored and freely moving into gears and said that it wont go into first with the clutch down, so he forced it in 1st at 60mph. The clutch was still down, but still locked up and destroyed the car.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
"""My buddy was DD and drove the car"""

If that was me, I would have it towed to a Ford dealership, plunk down my credit card and say "fix it"
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gondorian View Post
HOW do you put it in 1st at 60? 1st hits the limiter around 35.
Rev limiter doesn't matter at this point cause your mechanically over-revving the engine. The rev limiter can't stop this.

As far as your issue, if he truly shifted into 1st going 60, and let the clutch out, the engine would have revved up to probably over 10k RPM (depending on gear ratios...) and possibly done valve damage. At those speeds, the valve springs cant close the valves fast enough and often times pistons make contact with the valves, bending them. I would do a compression test first thing.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Red Jay 918
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 79277
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 7 Red Jay 918 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilghman07 View Post
My buddy said he had the clutch pedal all the way down and was bored and freely moving into gears and said that it wont go into first with the clutch down, so he forced it in 1st at 60mph. The clutch was still down, but still locked up and destroyed the car.
it's not supposed to go into 1st gear at that high of a speed. 1st gear lockout... keeps you from engaging 1st gear anywhere above 15mph. i sure hope your buddy was the one who paid for the repairs since he was the one who destroyed your transmission. i just can't wrap my mind around the stupidity of purposely trying to go into 1st at 60... no offense. but i agree w/ the compression test. do you hear any weird tapping/knocking sounds from the engine?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
Tilghman07
Focus Rookie

He gave me 800 so that's why I'm hoping its not over that. The engine seems to be fine. We drove it for about 30 miles after replacing the clutch. When I took the trans off the clutch was gone and the throwiut bearing was busted. No weird engine sounds, still smooth sounding. Today it will be at the local transmission shop and I'll let you guys know what they say about it.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Tilghman07
Focus Rookie

Well the shop said the axles was not in properly but the spindle is damage. So $360 is the cost.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilghman07 View Post
But the clutch seems to engage but not moving the car. Like if the axles are not in. The speedometer would go up in speed.
That's probably exactly what it is, or you could've KOed the ring gear. Let's hope it's that the driver's side axle is not in. That's the one that typically causes this problem.

BTW. I'd think you would've learned not to let anyone drive your car unless they are willing to pay for the repairs they cause.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->