Ran Over a huge Rock! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Kimberly103
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90252
What I Drive: 2011 white focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Kimberly103 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ahh! Ok i will check that out! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
X2 if it has a ceramic bed, it breaks like pottery............
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Kimberly103
Focus Rookie

I took my car to the muffler shop today an he fixed a small tweak to the flange. He hooked it up to the diagnostics and it showed a misfire on cylender #4 and a leak between the #1 and #2 spark plugs. (my engine light never came on) Not good news at all since we replaced the cylender head once already for a blown piston in the #2 cylender. He said he could hear a small rattle in the #2 spark plug hole also! Ugh!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
leak between 1 2 spark plugs? What is he talking about?

If you have spark leaks replace the plug wires. If he is talking about a leak between cylinders then that isn't diagnosed with a diagnostic machine that is diagnosed with a compression tester. Did he use a compression tester? If he heard a rattle in the plug hole then it sounds like he pulled the plugs to run a compression test, and if #1 & #2 cylinders failed the compression test then the engine is going to have to be torn down again. Do you know what test he ran?

Don't spend anymore on this engine. In my opinion you got some bad advice when your cylinder head died. If it died to the point that a piston had to be replaced and you had 90K+ miles on it the entire engine should have been pulled and replaced by a rebuilt engine. And if your going to do that then as another poster said your car was a prime candidate for a Zetec swap.

My advice is if you indeed are failing compression on 2 cylinders, then you need to step back and reevaluate this car. If this has an auto trans in it, then if it was my car I'd sell it. If it has the manual MTX hooked to an SPI then if it was mine I'd do a Zetec swap. But, you are a different person and you have to consider if this car meets your needs or not. These are small economy cars. Gas prices are not going down. If you don't need the room for kids or whatever in the future then if you were to drop $3-4K into a Zetec engine swap with a rebuilt Zetec you would very likely get a 50K mile warranty and be able to run the car for another decade. Even if you got a rebuilt SPI engine since the head is only a year old, you could buy a short block and someone competent to put it back together, and you would end up with a car that is worth $2.5K at least on the used market. And if you go out there and attempt to buy a used economy car you cannot touch anything that will run for more than 500 miles for very much under $2,000 because used economy cars today are white hot in the market.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
Kimberly103
Focus Rookie

Thanks for your info tmittelstaedt, I think i am just going to have to get another car. It will most likely be another focus. It's the best car I have ever had (minus this problem)!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
regarding last year's piston replacement: did your mechanic plane the head before he installed the new head gasket? The reason I ask is the leak in adjacent cylinders that the muffler shop found.

And speaking of the muffler shop: you might want to have an engine mechanic diagnose your issue before making a major decision like selling the vehicle.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #17
Kimberly103
Focus Rookie

Thank you everyone with your help. I have decided to trade in my car for a 2011 Focus! I almost cried when I handed him the title to the old one. It has 22,000 miles on it and it is a certified pre-owned from ford with some warranty still left on it. I am excited yet sad at the same time to let go of my old one.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #18
cody.carr
Shlammed Life

Fan#: 97521
What I Drive: 2000 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 cody.carr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
^^^ hatch or sedan. Glad your staying in the focus community.

HOTM February '13 HN #06 RR #39
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
Kimberly103
Focus Rookie

It is a sedan :-) Yeah I am hooked on focus!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #20
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
Good to hear - but don't cry too much - your car will go to the auto auctions - and it will either be sold to a pick-and-pull and become a donor car to keep lots of other Focuses like it still on the road, or if it has really clean and straight sheetmetal on it, it will be bought by an individual who will do the Zetec swap on it and within a couple months it will be back on the road.

But, don't keep us waiting on the new one - what color did you get and what model?

Bookmarks & Social Networks