DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 188 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #1871
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by descentgate View Post
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.
use the search feature here at this board for TSB and you will find plenty, also do a google search for 2012 focus technical service bulletins, there are at least 3 that apply to this automatic that I know of.
also beware of requesting an update if you do NOT have a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #1872
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
@ cory: I spoke with the Ford regional Customer service and he said that my issue (being able to turn off the engine while driving) is normal operation, and got this confirmed with a technician.
@ mr_cassandra: check this thread out . As I said in my thread, I went and got a TSB (computer update) and my car runs much better now! No more vibration, shuddering/jerking on launch, and much smoother launching an shifting all around! I also got the first oil/filter change. Car feels like brand new again :). My friend, sitting in passenger seat, even said last night "this ride is so smooth it is unbelievable."
Pleases keep in mind that I do have the 2013. Many people argue there was no changes, however after speaking to two different independet sourches from Ford (1 regional customer service and 1 tech) they said that the problems associated with the oil leak on clutch on the 2012 Focus did not transfer over to the 2013. They say they fixed the problem for all the 2013's when they built them already.

on that note, they did a multi-point inspection on my car and did not report anything. Again, techs get paid to do work so they don't lie about these kind of things.

Overall, really happy with the car. No problems. This car made me fall in love with cars again.

Also, look at this chart
It is the 2012 J/D Power vehicle dependability statistic table. It shows that per every 100 cars, Ford has 124 problems. So an average of 1.24 problems per Ford vehicle. Even the most dependable, according to this table, Lexus at 86 problems per 100, that still means 86% of all Lexus's have problems!
A car is a machine and machines have to be watched and maintained regardless if it's a Geo Prism or a Bently. Cars are cars and thus always have problems. Considering cars have only been around for about 100 years, I think we have come a very long way. It will be many years before cars are "perfected" if ever. Cars have problems, just the nature of the beast.
Fortunately no more problems here! I hope that's my 1.24 problems taken care of for the rest of the cars life :)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #1873
TooTall
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91532
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TooTall Good Standing Member
I took my 2012 Focus SEL in for a seal replacement in the DCT on 02-19-13. After getting into the xmission, the dealer found that a "spline" was damaged and had to order parts. They replaced input seals & clutch assy. Prior to this replacement I had a shudder, a grinding noise and a rattle sound. Picked up car 02-21-13. Car has performed flawlessly since. Because of all the negative posts I have read here, I'm somewhat skeptical of what the future is for this DCT. I have had my Focus for over one and a half years now and the DCT problem has been the only major problem I have had. I do want to say that the dealer has been quick to act on any problem I brought to them.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #1874
technoshark
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41397
What I Drive: '12 Titanium, Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 technoshark Good Standing Member
I had the oil leak issue; dealer replaced the seals & clutch pack (upgraded to 2013 spec) and did the reflash. Since this was done, my DCT has been REALLY good, now going on 4 months. The only complaint is shift points, and dropping it into PowerShift mode usually takes care of it.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #1875
TooTall
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91532
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TooTall Good Standing Member
Thanks technoshark. This is good to hear and makes me feel better about the car. Hopefully we'll all enjoy a trouble free DCT. I think it would be nice to see something from Ford Motor Co. stating they are confident the problems with the DCT have been resolved.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #1876
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Mshka, many thanks. Your comment below provides every focus owner with the true story here.

however after speaking to two different independet sourches from Ford (1 regional customer service and 1 tech) they said that the problems associated with the oil leak on clutch on the 2012 Focus did not transfer over to the 2013. They say they fixed the problem for all the 2013's when they built them already.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #1877
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoshark View Post
I had the oil leak issue; dealer replaced the seals & clutch pack (upgraded to 2013 spec) and did the reflash. Since this was done, my DCT has been REALLY good, now going on 4 months. The only complaint is shift points, and dropping it into PowerShift mode usually takes care of it.
this is awesome, FINALLY a real-world, actual solution to a REAL problem.
Not everyone has the leaky seal but is an awful problem when you do.
The posts on the 2013 update should be read and printed by the dozens of people here and at the ford focus facebook page, and bring them to your dealer if you have a problem.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #1878
technoshark
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41397
What I Drive: '12 Titanium, Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 technoshark Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoshark View Post
I'll add that I had all the conditions most everyone has mentioned; shuddering, rattling, and bucking. My dealer did not hesitate on the repair - by the time I brought my car to them, it was going to do at least one of the three conditions and not be one of those deals where the car didn't replicate my complaint when a tech test-drove it. My dealer provides a rental car free of charge on warranty work, so it cost me no money for what essentially was an upgrade. An added bonus: I've gained an easy 2 mpg with a correctly operating drivetrain.

For me, there is no question Ford sent this model out on the road with some gremlins in it. Having said that, and with one of my two issues addressed (I'm no fan of My Ford Touch), my Ti is one nice car. Time will tell, but right now I'm looking forward to upgrading & enjoying my Focus for a long time.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #1879
Sprint
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Good to hear some positive outcomes here. My Ti as well has been running great since the clutch / seal replacement 3 months ago. Thanks to the persistence of this forum perhaps, some action started to occur at Ford to address the 12s DCT issues. Congrats!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #1880
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Good to hear some positive outcomes here. My Ti as well has been running great since the clutch / seal replacement 3 months ago. Thanks to the persistence of this forum perhaps, some action started to occur at Ford to address the 12s DCT issues. Congrats!
Sprint, I couldn't agree more. When the transmission is running like it does in every other manufacturers version, this is the quickest, sportiest car I am aware of unless you want to spend $10,000 more.

The recent posts show that Ford now acknowledges and will fix this problem. I do not agree with how this was handled the past several months, by telling so many people their problems were normal and giving them a handout.

But I know that Ford didn't get to be a worldwide automaker by mistreating their customers and feel this was just one issue not handled properly.

Now, all focus owners can get on with the business of drving fun with a very economical, sporty car.

In addition, I want to commend the Ford customer service reps both here and at the ford focus facebook page for their continued, sincere efforts in helping people get escalations and resolutions.

Bookmarks & Social Networks