No start , dead as a doornail - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Fumey
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89510
What I Drive: 2012 se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Fumey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
No start , dead as a doornail

Jumped the '12 Focus this a.m. , not sure if work will allow for time to take it to dealer to have them check charging system today... been reading of other no start issues , from batteries being replaced , BCMs being replaced , etc .
Always had a quirk , where I'd turn the key and nothing would happen -then turn it again and it'd start , that I've addressed more than once to my local dealer , and actually turned out to be a symptom of the transmission not communicating with the ignition , or so I'm told , that was fixed with the software upgrades I had done - when the car was under warranty. When the car was only covered under the drive train warranty (I rack up a lot of miles), it did the same thing , I paid a hundred dollar deductible to have them tell me there was nothing wrong. To Ford Customer Service Departments credit , they did help me with a new warranty . But I did experience the same "turn key ,no start " issue at least a few times since .
And now the dead car this morning . Anyone else having similar issues ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumey View Post
Jumped the '12 Focus this a.m. , not sure if work will allow for time to take it to dealer to have them check charging system today... been reading of other no start issues , from batteries being replaced , BCMs being replaced , etc .
Always had a quirk , where I'd turn the key and nothing would happen -then turn it again and it'd start , that I've addressed more than once to my local dealer , and actually turned out to be a symptom of the transmission not communicating with the ignition , or so I'm told , that was fixed with the software upgrades I had done - when the car was under warranty. When the car was only covered under the drive train warranty (I rack up a lot of miles), it did the same thing , I paid a hundred dollar deductible to have them tell me there was nothing wrong. To Ford Customer Service Departments credit , they did help me with a new warranty . But I did experience the same "turn key ,no start " issue at least a few times since .
And now the dead car this morning . Anyone else having similar issues ?
I think the current issue is not well enough established for anyone to say they had the same thing.

Dead as a doornail could be a bad ignition, dead battery, etc. Did you try jump starting it?

It sounds like you might have something as simple a bad lead to the battery.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
katchoo22
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96637
What I Drive: 2002 Black Ford Focus ZTS Zetec-E

FF Reputation: 1 katchoo22 Good Standing Member
That happened to me when I first got my 2002 zetec from the dealer. Random sporadic incidents of nothing, completely nothing when I'd turn the key. Just as random and sporadic it would start right back up. Took it in multiple times to dealer under warranty, they replaced the battery one time...told me another time that the stereo was draining the battery and that they fixed it...again it happened, this time it was the alarm system (that I ordered when I bought the car and they installed -- or sent out for installation) interfering with the ignition but they assured me they fixed the problem. Took it back for other issues when I found out that their "fix" to my starting problem was to remove my alarm system without my knowledge. They're condescending and superior service manager insisted that I did NOT have an alarm, that it is a "keyless entry,ma'am." After quite a few choice words from my ever-so-independent mouth and a threat by them to have me removed, I insisted they get the salesman who sold me the car who confirmed that I did indeed order, pay for, and have installed an alarm system. They quickly had another alarm system reinstalled after which I went back AGAIN for a no-start issue. This time they told me they would have to cut the alarm wires, which I finally told them just do it. They left the alarm module and all the wiring hanging from beneath my dash. Otherwise, car worked fine for several years until a little over a year ago when it happened again. This time I couldn't get it started at all. Went three and a half months having to pop my clutch before I finally had enough. Starter, alternator, all systems were fine. I pulled the shroud off my steering column, followed my ignition wire to the jumbled mess beneath my dash where they had spliced my ignition wires to install the alarm. My foot must have been hitting the wires and eventually knocked the splice completely loose. I can't tell you how FURIOUS I was with that service department and it STILL makes me mad. This was at a time when I didn't know the first thing about the mechanical workings of my car. I have not had one single problem starting my car since I repaired the mess they made. Don't know if it's related or not, but I would suggest tracing your wiring and components along the way. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
tdmer
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96725
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Sterling Grey SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 tdmer Good Standing Member
My Dealer found the battery cable to the starter terminal was loose causing intermittent no crank situation...
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmer View Post
My Dealer found the battery cable to the starter terminal was loose causing intermittent no crank situation...
i think the first thing i'd do with OPs problem is to disconnect and clean both battery leads. Clean the battery terminals and check those cables.

with a cold battery cold/and or some corrosion on the leads a poorly connected lead can lower the voltage enough that the car won't turn over.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchoo22 View Post
That happened to me when I first got my 2002 zetec from the dealer. Random sporadic incidents of nothing, completely nothing when I'd turn the key. Just as random and sporadic it would start right back up. Took it in multiple times to dealer under warranty, they replaced the battery one time...told me another time that the stereo was draining the battery and that they fixed it...again it happened, this time it was the alarm system (that I ordered when I bought the car and they installed -- or sent out for installation) interfering with the ignition but they assured me they fixed the problem. Took it back for other issues when I found out that their "fix" to my starting problem was to remove my alarm system without my knowledge. They're condescending and superior service manager insisted that I did NOT have an alarm, that it is a "keyless entry,ma'am." After quite a few choice words from my ever-so-independent mouth and a threat by them to have me removed, I insisted they get the salesman who sold me the car who confirmed that I did indeed order, pay for, and have installed an alarm system. They quickly had another alarm system reinstalled after which I went back AGAIN for a no-start issue. This time they told me they would have to cut the alarm wires, which I finally told them just do it. They left the alarm module and all the wiring hanging from beneath my dash. Otherwise, car worked fine for several years until a little over a year ago when it happened again. This time I couldn't get it started at all. Went three and a half months having to pop my clutch before I finally had enough. Starter, alternator, all systems were fine. I pulled the shroud off my steering column, followed my ignition wire to the jumbled mess beneath my dash where they had spliced my ignition wires to install the alarm. My foot must have been hitting the wires and eventually knocked the splice completely loose. I can't tell you how FURIOUS I was with that service department and it STILL makes me mad. This was at a time when I didn't know the first thing about the mechanical workings of my car. I have not had one single problem starting my car since I repaired the mess they made. Don't know if it's related or not, but I would suggest tracing your wiring and components along the way. Good luck!
I am annoyed just reading this. :\
Old 02-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Fumey
Focus Rookie

Gkirk , yes , I did jump the battery , and it started . You may be right , it may be something as simple as a loose connection , but a google search tells me new focus owners are having new batteries replaced multiple times . I'm taking it to the dealer Wednesday to see if they can find any indication of a parasitic drain- but I'm not optimistic . Just wanted to see if anyone on this forum had similar experiences . Focus Fanstics have helped me get my ducks in a row before .
Thanks .
And thank you , Katchoo- glad to hear you solved it .
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Fumey
Focus Rookie

Also , the connections were tight /clean by the battery , but I didn't check by the stater ....
Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
Supramk3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96347
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver S 31.01.2012 BD

FF Reputation: 3 Supramk3 Good Standing Member
does any message come up on your message center? i had to have a key replaced. the chip in it was bad. message center said "Key Not Detected". it wouldnt start or crank over.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 200 warneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I had the same issue due to massive corrosion on my positive battery lead at the battery. Cleaned it up and had the dealer replace the battery to keep it from coming back and all is well.

173.4whp
gump
crew #6

Bookmarks & Social Networks