2000 Focus help diagnosing issue with fan on - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
cpalz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105682
What I Drive: 2002 Zx5 Focus, 2005 Zx4 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 cpalz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oh boy, that is never good. I am sure there are many Ideas out there, but first I would try spraying them with penetrating oil, such as pb blaster, kroil, etc. Just not wd40. then GENTLY rocking them side to side,(towards loose, then tight) to see if they will loosen. Since it is a plastic housing, if that did not work, then I would try removing everything you can get out of the housing, and break the rest of it out with a chisel. Being careful not to ding the sealing surface. Once as much of the housing is gone, hopefully you are just left with the bolts. Then you can get penetrant in close where the threads are, or even apply a little heat to help break them loose. If one does break off, then it looks like it will most likely have to be drilled out and tapped. Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #12
fingersuk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105109
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 fingersuk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Im thinking I might be best to get the professional's do it for me so if it breaks at least it's at a garage. The housing is plastic however where the bolts go in there's a metal sleeve I think it's sized to these, got a funny feeling it's the hard option!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
The professionals have reverse-threaded sockets designed specifically to "bite" into the head of the bolts as you carefully reverse them out. Extractors, they call 'em. It'll remove them, but will definitely kill the bolts in the process.

Bookmarks & Social Networks