My Transmission is Better for Now!!! - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

Points 974, Level 16
Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yes, the F assembly is the last one for that, are you having issues with it? I can't tell if 12B37 is the most current software version or not.

Auto trans mount bracket
Clutch input shaft
Shift cable bracket
CV/axle assembly (left and right)
Shift shaft seal
Powertrain control module (11/9/2012)
Body control module

and a couple oil gaskets on the engine as well as steering components.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,901, Level 66
Points: 9,901, Level: 66 Points: 9,901, Level: 66 Points: 9,901, Level: 66
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
Yes, the F assembly is the last one for that, are you having issues with it? I can't tell if 12B37 is the most current software version or not.

Auto trans mount bracket
Clutch input shaft
Shift cable bracket
CV/axle assembly (left and right)
Shift shaft seal
Powertrain control module (11/9/2012)
Body control module

and a couple oil gaskets on the engine as well as steering components.
Gaskets on the engine have nothing to do with the transmission by the way.

So far I'm not having issues with my transmission, which is why I'm saying that there does not appear to be any substantiated differences between my car and a 2013, ergo it should be exactly as reliable.

There was allegedly two versions of 12B37, an earlier version which kept the 6th gear shift point at 35 mph on light throttle, and a later version that only shifts to 6th at 40 mph or higher. But otherwise there has been no new revisions announced of the software.

Changing the axle shafts as far as service part numbers doesn't mean all that much unless some one could document what the precise changes were.

The input shaft seal changes were made to the 2012s as far as I am aware of, along with many other in process improvements as the year progressed.

Again what do changes to the pcm have to do with the transmission and the TCU? I know they talk to each other through the CAN bus but this seems like a minor change that may or may not do anything to the reliability of the components.

I guess I don't get it. Why is my car with a transmission built on or around March 30, 2012 exactly the same as the 2013 units supposed to be less reliable than cars built after the arbitrary date of 7/23/12 which was the start of Job 1 for 2013?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
thejordan
Focus Addict

Points 974, Level 16
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Gaskets on the engine have nothing to do with the transmission by the way.

So far I'm not having issues with my transmission, which is why I'm saying that there does not appear to be any substantiated differences between my car and a 2013, ergo it should be exactly as reliable.

There was allegedly two versions of 12B37, an earlier version which kept the 6th gear shift point at 35 mph on light throttle, and a later version that only shifts to 6th at 40 mph or higher. But otherwise there has been no new revisions announced of the software.

Changing the axle shafts as far as service part numbers doesn't mean all that much unless some one could document what the precise changes were.

The input shaft seal changes were made to the 2012s as far as I am aware of, along with many other in process improvements as the year progressed.

Again what do changes to the pcm have to do with the transmission and the TCU? I know they talk to each other through the CAN bus but this seems like a minor change that may or may not do anything to the reliability of the components.

I guess I don't get it. Why is my car with a transmission built on or around March 30, 2012 exactly the same as the 2013 units supposed to be less reliable than cars built after the arbitrary date of 7/23/12 which was the start of Job 1 for 2013?
I just pointed out differences. I cross-referenced logs between '12 and '13 among different categories in excel. And you have a hard time defining substantial. If you've driven a '12 vs a '13, you notice a difference. You're playing devil's advocate with things engineered above your head, I was just supplying some info. I don't see this conversation going anywhere constructive. Your jimmies are obviously rustled for owning a '12. I've driven '12s that have no DCT issues as well, some cars act up and others don't. But when '13s start having transmission fluid leak on the clutch, then you can start getting upset.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,213, Level 41
Points: 4,213, Level: 41 Points: 4,213, Level: 41 Points: 4,213, Level: 41
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
If you've driven a '12 vs a '13, you notice a difference.
Can you elaborate on that? What exactly is the difference?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,901, Level 66
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Can you elaborate on that? What exactly is the difference?
Other than the noted difference that the later 12B37 programming and the 13 seems to not shift to 6th before 40 mph I don't expect there to be any difference between a 12 that works and a 13 that works, except for the age of the vehicle.

This was something I was trying to gather and figure out also, and other than a few minor ancillary changes that don't directly affect the transmission itself per the other user's description which concurs that BV6Z-7000-F is the latest and greatest transmission assembly and from what I can see was used at least from the timeframe mentioned in the original 12B37 software calibration as being the production applied fix date of 3/28/12 or later.

Noting an axle shaft part number change without documenting what was actually changed as far as the actual part doesn't exactly mean much. Since as far as an engineering change notice something as simple as changing a dimension on the print can call for a new part revision, usually those are minor though like from rev AA to AB, etc. Especially when the main reported problems existed between the clutch plates and the input shaft seals as far as oil contamination was concerned.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
thejordan
Focus Addict

Points 974, Level 16
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Other than the noted difference that the later 12B37 programming and the 13 seems to not shift to 6th before 40 mph I don't expect there to be any difference between a 12 that works and a 13 that works, except for the age of the vehicle.

This was something I was trying to gather and figure out also, and other than a few minor ancillary changes that don't directly affect the transmission itself per the other user's description which concurs that BV6Z-7000-F is the latest and greatest transmission assembly and from what I can see was used at least from the timeframe mentioned in the original 12B37 software calibration as being the production applied fix date of 3/28/12 or later.

Noting an axle shaft part number change without documenting what was actually changed as far as the actual part doesn't exactly mean much. Since as far as an engineering change notice something as simple as changing a dimension on the print can call for a new part revision, usually those are minor though like from rev AA to AB, etc. Especially when the main reported problems existed between the clutch plates and the input shaft seals as far as oil contamination was concerned.
The 13's have an updated PCM and BCM as well as input shaft. Yes the -F is the updated tranny, but controlling the transmission is half of how it works... Most '13 owners are claiming smoother work. This could be due to lower mileage and that clutches take ~1k to fully bed in.

We still haven't been able to confirm if 13s are running 12B37.

Your argument about the different part numbers invalidates all of your claims. The engineers are way above your knowledge. Deal with it.

Not sure where else to go with this besides many claims of noting how '13s "feel" smoother. But I've also driven plenty of normal '12s.

So far, the '13s have no indication that they'll have DCT issues.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
The 13's have an updated PCM and BCM as well as input shaft. Yes the -F is the updated tranny, but controlling the transmission is half of how it works... Most '13 owners are claiming smoother work. This could be due to lower mileage and that clutches take ~1k to fully bed in.

Your argument about the different part numbers invalidates all of your claims. The engineers are way above your knowledge. Deal with it.

Not sure where else to go with this besides many claims of noting how '13s "feel" smoother. But I've also driven plenty of normal '12s.

my DCT is perfect in all ways that i can see, that said, i think that the DCT as ford makes it, is unproven, was rushed to marked, and so no matter the build month/year (mine's may '11) it's all a crap shoot whether or not one's DCT is good or bad.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
thejordan
Focus Addict

Points 974, Level 16
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
my DCT is perfect in all ways that i can see, that said, i think that the DCT as ford makes it, is unproven, was rushed to marked, and so no matter the build month/year (mine's may '11) it's all a crap shoot whether or not one's DCT is good or bad.
Like I said, many '12s have had no issues. But to say Ford has done nothing to prevent further issues is wrong. They've updated many components and have improved assembly.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,901, Level 66
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:

Keep the personal attacks to yourself.

There have been people who have complained of the same issues with a 2013 as occurred on the 2012 models with issues. That seems to invalidate your opinion.

I may not work for Ford and have intimate knowledge of every single change they have ever made, but I don't claim to. You on the other hand do seem to claim to be all knowing when it comes to this car.

So far I've seen many new 2013 owners complaining about shift shudder, along with their 2012 compatriots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN3F View Post
We have two new 2013 SE's - one with the 201A option. They both have the Power Shift gearbox. We love the cars but have found the gearbox to still have some hesitation/stumbling in the low gears - first and second - but not all the time. You can also hear some clatter from the clutches (I presume) from time to time - particularly at low speed, during cornering - but not real loud. The gearbox seems to be improved from the issues reported for 2012 models. We understand the concept of the auto manual and it may be that driving style can help - we found that using the throttle will smooth out stumbling. However, it is a concern and surprising that Ford would take to market an unperfected concept like the Power Shift gearbox - especially from one year to the next. This is my tenth Ford in a row as a daily driver and I have faithfully stood by the brand. Time will tell how we feel about these cars and what we consider for the future.
That's just one such example mentioning the clunking/ shuddering gearbox in a pair of 2013 Focus models at low speed. That seems to indicate that the problems still aren't resolved in the units that don't work properly.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Points 166, Level 3
Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Been wondering what was the cost of that clutch.
Googled that part number and found prices from $483 to $566.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.